Homesick players - Buying a friend

I think this is an area that needs a little adjustment/polish.

A player of mine, a young Croatian keeper called Valentino Trajkov was having trouble settling, so I suggested getting someone in to help him settle. He made a specific suggestion, a left-winger called Petar Jakolis. I scout Jakolis, decide I want him, but I'm unable to get him. But I bring in another Croatian player instead.

At the end of the season, Trajkov comes back, I haven't kept my promise to sign Jakolis, so he wants to leave. I agree to his request.

In the summer, because I really want him, I go back in for Jakolis and get him. Does Trajkov now request to come off the list? Of course not.

I just feel my options throughout this are hideously limited. Throughout this process, other things should happen:

1. I did not 'promise' to sign Jakolis. I said I'd try. The player should understand this.

2. When I can't get Jakolis, I should be able to go back and talk to the player about it. Tell him we'd try again in summer, or ask for another suggestion.

3. Getting another compatriot in should count for something.

4. When I do get Jakolis, Trajkov should come straight to me, say how pleased he is his friend has been signed, and ask to come off the list.

I had the exact problem word for word, I think i mentioned it in the bugs thread back then the game came out and someone said they would look into it.

It is really stupid that the conversation goes from, signing X would be nice, to you have promised to sign him

the options for the conversations are limited and sometimes it just seems like they are wilfully misinterpreting you.

when i say 'i will give you a chance in the first team' that does not mean i'm saying your 'guaranteed a place', as the game constantly seems to interpret.

also, when a player wants more games, all i can say is 'i pick the team so shut up' or 'i'll sell/loan you' - or words to that effect. what i want to say is 'your still young/backup but you are still in my future plans', or words to that effect.

This happened to me a few days ago. My AML was homesick so I said I would bring somebody in to help him settle. At no point did I ask him who it should be so why did he name somebody? I never promised either and the fact that the player he wanted me to get was awful with no interest in joining meant I couldn't do anything about it.

Archived