Ridiculous Contract Demands

I got Coutinho in the beginning of my 2nd season for free. I have a contract with him until 2017, which means he still has 3 more years.

He's getting paid 1.2 million Euro's per season, plus bonus and so on.

He played 28 games for me and played with average rate of 7.48. Pretty good. He wants new contract, I was going to offer him new one and he demands 8 million Euro's per year.

From 1.2 millions to 8 million Euro's?

What? That's almost %750 raise. However, he still has under contract for me for 3 years.

How do we solve this?

I ignore him and he comes to me every other 2 weeks and demands new contract. Then he went public by declaring that he's unhappy.

He's not the only one. I have 3 players that want to have new contract when they already have a contract for 2 or 3 years.

I ignore him and he comes to me every other 2 weeks and demands new contract. Then he went public by declaring that he's unhappy.

He's not the only one. I have 3 players that want to have new contract when they already have a contract for 2 or 3 years.

---sounds coolg.gif

If you have been winning a lot of competitions then this would affect them. Your club reputation increases and therefore your players want more money as the club is making more. To be honest, it's best to make your own salary cap in mind and try not to exceed it. His demands are pretty excessive but I guess he's ambitious personality?

I would sell him and bring in/promote a promising youngster. If you really want him do the math and see if you can get a good contract negotiated by paying the agent off.

I have had many players come to me demanding a contract, and I just tell them that he is under contract and there will be no contract talks right now. Then he says that he can't accept that, and then I tell him that I should be the one giving him a new contract not he demanding one, and only once did that not work. That player was unhappy a month or two before it went away. Some time after he calmed down, he demanded a new contract again, and knowing he wouldn't accept me telling him to shut up, I said he would have to deserve a new contract, which he accepted. A few months later my assistant reminded me of my promise and then I gave him a new contract, quadrupling his wages. I saved myself like £50k p/w for a year.

He is one of the best left backs in the world in my save so it was of course worth it. That is something you would have to consider carefully: is it worth it? There are several things to keep in mind:

A. He is either underpaid or very ambitious, or both. Or has low professionality, and even high controvercy? If your star player has like £100k p/w and he 20kpw, his demands may be warranted even though he just signed the contract (International success may bump his reputation), but if this is not the case you may have a troublemaker in your squad. Is he worth it?

B. His new wage will place him among the best paid players in the club. Is he that good?

C. While unhappy, he disrupts the harmony at the club. Can you live with that?

D. If you can't afford his new wages, you may have to sell him at some point anyways.

I told them that he is under contract and there will be no contract talks right now. Then he says that he can't accept that, and then I tell him that I should be the one giving him a new contract not he demanding one. This one works.

But why do they come up to me every month with same requests?

I mean, if they would be reasonable, I would re-new their contract. But this guy is getting paid 800k per year and he wants 4.5 millions.. Whoaaaa.. Come on.

Thats the beauty of a longterm deal. Any time I agree a deal for a player who I want indefinitely I will sign him for as long as possible. Why? Well, because in the first few years of the deal the player is probably just getting the better of the deal, but if he improves, and matures, and reputation increases, then by the end of the deal you (the club) are getting the better of the deal.

I will only renew early IF I think the players demands will be even more, by the time his contract expires. Like, say I have a great 21 or 22 year old getting paid 30 or 45k/w, with 1 or 1.5 years left. If they are in and out of the first team and impressing then I will say, OK, do I renew him for 1-0k/w to 120k/w in 1 or 1.5 years, or do i give him 65k now, for the next 3 or 4 years?

Most of the time in that circumstance I would give the player a medium wage and a long contract, rather than wait, and then give them a big wage with a long contract.

I told them that he is under contract and there will be no contract talks right now. Then he says that he can't accept that, and then I tell him that I should be the one giving him a new contract not he demanding one. This one works.

But why do they come up to me every month with same requests?

I mean, if they would be reasonable, I would re-new their contract. But this guy is getting paid 800k per year and he wants 4.5 millions.. Whoaaaa.. Come on.

I guess an unhappy player is unhappy.

Yes it is annoying, but as I've said only one of my underpaid players have ever become upset after being told to wait. Since I underpay all of them (at least until the last couple of seasons), these occurences are actually quite rare. I think it is okay that some players are greedy and controversial.

i had an experience in my current save. Signed Erick Torres at 21 yo, signed at wages slightly below the avg wage of the club for that category of players.

One thing, i have in place is the min. release clause of 50m.

After 8 -10 games, he performend superbly and his agent came for a new contract, i refused because his demands are exorbitant. Then Torres ask for private chat, submitted the same request, i refused and threatened to transfer list him. He refused to budge and he was transfer-listed

Arsenal came to try to buy him, but i stuck to my 50m request, they came away. I benched him as well for a few matches, his morale went from low to rock bottom. Not sure if he caused a disruption to the team but we continued to do well.

after past mid-season, i removed him from transfer list and he is ok. No more claims about new contract. But at times i see from his motivation that he is uninterested in games. But team performance was not affected.

So, I say stick to your guns. No player is bigger than the club.

i had an experience in my current save. Signed Erick Torres at 21 yo, signed at wages slightly below the avg wage of the club for that category of players.

One thing, i have in place is the min. release clause of 50m.

After 8 -10 games, he performend superbly and his agent came for a new contract, i refused because his demands are exorbitant. Then Torres ask for private chat, submitted the same request, i refused and threatened to transfer list him. He refused to budge and he was transfer-listed

Arsenal came to try to buy him, but i stuck to my 50m request, they came away. I benched him as well for a few matches, his morale went from low to rock bottom. Not sure if he caused a disruption to the team but we continued to do well.

after past mid-season, i removed him from transfer list and he is ok. No more claims about new contract. But at times i see from his motivation that he is uninterested in games. But team performance was not affected.

So, I say stick to your guns. No player is bigger than the club.

If you look at the info page of other players, you will probably see that many of them says under happiness (iirc) that they hope Torres matures quickly. That is alright as that is all that happens in those cases. If you have other difficult players, they may side with him, though, and then you have mayhem at your hands... The teammate-treated-unfairly reactions are much more serious.

I just give players new contracts when they ask. I don't think I even look. The way I see it, if I can't offer them the contract then it's not within the budget.

But if I can offer it, then I'm staying within the budget, so it's all rosey.

It wouldn't me in the slightest elevating a players wages by 750% - as long as they are happy and play well.

I just give players new contracts when they ask. I don't think I even look. The way I see it, if I can't offer them the contract then it's not within the budget.

But if I can offer it, then I'm staying within the budget, so it's all rosey.

It wouldn't me in the slightest elevating a players wages by 750% - as long as they are happy and play well.

750%? If your at a major club, that could be a huge amount of money. In an exagerated world, thats 100k to 750k a week. Ridiculous jump.

I'm all for pay rises when a player deserves it but most of the time, its too much of a rise. Especially if a player is completely happy and playing well already.

Archived