Long throws: An attribute that matters?

An incident in a recent game I was playing has got me wondering whether the long throws attribute is something that matters. I took a few screenies of a goal my team scored so as to show why I think the attribute is irrelevant:

First, Tom Rose takes the throw.

It flies towards the area.

Towards the edge of the 6 yard box where my attacking midfielder scores.

Nothing here yet that seems odd, apart from crappy marking. This is, however, in Northern Ireland where players just aren't very good.

Where this starts to go wrong, in my opinion, is here. Long throws 1.

Leads me to wonder what someone with long throws 20 could do? And whether it really matters at all..

An incident in a recent game I was playing has got me wondering whether the long throws attribute is something that matters. I took a few screenies of a goal my team scored so as to show why I think the attribute is irrelevant:

First, Tom Rose takes the throw.

It flies towards the area.

Towards the edge of the 6 yard box where my attacking midfielder scores.

Nothing here yet that seems odd, apart from crappy marking. This is, however, in Northern Ireland where players just aren't very good.

Where this starts to go wrong, in my opinion, is here. Long throws 1.

Leads me to wonder what someone with long throws 20 could do? And whether it really matters at all..

i dont think this is the case, but it could just be a one off. you do see players with low penalty ratings score penalties and on rare occassions you see a player with a low long shot rating score a 30yard screamer. although i dont think this is one of them it could be a possibility

Yes, but surely long shots refers to the accuracy and not the length and everyone can score a penalty once in a while. My thinking was that long throws was a lot to do with the length of the throw, not the accuracy of throwing long. I mean, some players in real life can get the ball to the near post with great consistency, some will struggle to get it half that distance. I have no idea where my manual is so I can't check if the attribute is supposed to refer solely to the accuracy.

Anyone?

when you think of it throwing the ball far

can not relate to scoring a penalty

with a penalty its down to chance and obviously good attributes

but throwing the ball far is ...

either you can throw it far or not - like trying to pull a bus up a hill, either you can do it or not

whereas longshots you can relate to penalties

you might just get lucky

I have good long throw takers and a side this is big and powerful and yet I hardly ever seem to score from long throws. I also have several good long throw takers and throw ins set to long, it's something of a mystery to me.

I don't even take any notice of it. My full backs are usually the best options but I don't want them at the corner flag taking a long throw when the opposition has reverted to 4-2-4. I usually just pick a central midfielder and if it works it works.

Making it a ppm seems the sensible option, but even then I probably wouldn't use it.

Archived