FM08: Aston Villa Thread - Holte Enders In The Sky!

SkeeterP

I'm shocked Small Heath has a thread, but there's nothing for the True pride of the Midlands!

k99b41.png

Aston Villa Football Club

Formed: 1874

Ground: Villa Park (Capacity: 42,640)

Nicknames: The Villa / The Villans

Fierce Rivals: Birmingham City

Facts: Founding members of the Football League in 1888 and one of seven clubs to have played in every season of the Premier League since it's introduction in 1992.

The fourth most successful club in English football history, winning 21 major honours, and is one of only four English clubs to have won the European Cup, beating Bayen Munich 1-0 in 1982. Despite this record, Villa haven't won a major competition since winning the League Cup in 1996 (not counting the Inter-Toto cup which was won in 2001)

Villa Park is the most used stadium in FA-Cup Semi Final history, hosting 55 games.

Villa were the first team to adopt the now-famous Claret and Blue colours.

Chairman: Randolph Lerner (USA)

Financial Status: Rich

Finances: £78m

FM08 Transfer budget: "Top Half Finish" - £15.75m (wages £675k)

"Continental Qualification Through League Finish" - £21m (wages £775k)

"Title Challenge" - £23.5m (wages £800k)

"Winner" - £26m (wages £850k)

Squad:

1. Thomas Sorensen (GK)

2. Jordan Collins (D R)

3. Wilfred Bouma (D R)

4. Olof Mellberg (D R/C)

5. Martin Laursen (D C)

6. Gareth Barry (D/M L/C

7. Ashley Young (AM/F L/R/C)

8. Luke Moore (ST)

9. Marlon Harewood (ST)

10. John Carew (ST)

11. Gabriel Agbonlahor (ST)

12. Mustapha Salifou (AM R/C)

13. Stuart Taylor (GK)

14. Adam McGurk (AM/F C)

15. Curtis Davies** (D C)

16. Zat Knight (D C)

19. Stiliyan Petrov (AM C)

20. Nigel Reo-Coker (M C)

21. Scott Carson* (GK)

23. Patrik Berger (AM L/C)

26. Craig Gardner (M C)

27. Isiah Osbourne (M C)

28. Shaun Maloney (AM/F L/R/C)

29. Stephen O'Halloran (D L/C)

(Players marked with * are on loan, players marked with ** are on loan but transferring to the club at the end of the season).

Star Players are Club Captain and England International midfielder Gareth Barry, attacking powerhouse John Carew and explosive winger Ashley Young.

Despite assistant Manager John Robertson's optimistic outlook that Villa have a squad "that should be able to put in a strong challenge" for the Premiership, this young inexperienced team needs heavily strengthening to make a realistic push for the Top Six.

From the squad as it is, the first choice team selection would be (442):

2gsidu0.jpg

Defensively, the club has four solid centre-backs (Knight, Davies, Laursen, Mellberg), however with the squad only having one recognised Left Back (Bouma) and no recognised Right Backs (Mellberg doesn't cut it), serious investment is still needed.

Midfield is also a problem, with Gardner and Osbourne no where near ready to step up and provide any real cover for Reo-Coker and Barry in the middle, and despite his tremendous work rate and stamina, Petrov just doesn't have the attributes to stamp authority in a Premier League game. With Young and Maloney, there are two trememdous talents on the wings, but again there is a distinct lack of effective cover if anything were to happen to them.

Villa's attack is fast and young with Moore and Agbonlahor but there is only one experienced striker in John Carew. Marlon Harewood could be capable when implemented but there is still much room for improvement.

To conclude, a tough game but with the right additions to the squad you could be the man to bring the good times back to this underachieving Sleeping Giant of the Premier League.

Now go, and have fun!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

started a game with villa

i had Napoli come in for laursen for 4.5M (with clauses) so i let him go (as he is injury prone)

after telling teh board i would get euro qualification through the league, and tinkering with the budgets a little, i ended up with quite a war chest (around 25M)

key purchases

van der vaart 10.75M (hat-trick on debut from AMC)

modric (3.8M)

capel (4.1M)

ryan taylor(5M)

derek boateng (725K)

ever banega (2.4M)

ignasevich (free)

my team plays 4-2-3-1 and is lined up as such (with second team listed)

GK Carson/Sorensen

DR Taylor/Ignasevich

DL Barry/Bouma

DC Knight/Mellberg

DC Davies/Cahill

MC Boateng/Banega

MC Reo-Coker/Petrov

AMR Young/Agbonlahor

AML Modric/Capel

AMC van der Vaart/Maloney

FC Carew/Moore

First game was vs man city, 4-0 win with a hatrick to van der vaart and a late goal to moore, off the bench. ryan taylor is out injured still (injured when i bought him)

taylor is in reserves for now, but may end up replacing sorensen

collins, o'halloran and stieber are at my new affiliate (drogheda utd)

osbourne and gardner are in reserves

berger, salifou and harewood are all listed for transfer

If i can clear this deadwood outi may look at another striker(backup target man) or AMR(backup) to bolster this team

right now i have just under 200K in wages left unspent and only 370K left to spend on transfers

if i can sell off enough reserves i will maybe restructure wages and make a late run at Jo or Johan Elmander for a target upfront, look for a cheap right winger for cover (who is better tan salifou) or just snap up cheap prospects

any other suggestions for players?

You know, despite making this thread I haven't actually made a proper start with Villa. That has now changed.

Budget-wise I tried to be a little realistic in foresight of the actual game, so promised EU qualification through the leage, so got £21m and then adjusted the budget to get an extra £11.5m on top of that.

With that money I got Van Der Vaart for £13.5m, Coloccini for £7.5m, Caldwell for £3m and Diego Capel for £4m. I'm waiting on a contract for Derek Boateng and if he accepts that'll leave me with about £3m left to possibly get either a 2nd left back or left winger or both.

I've opted for a 433 attacking formation, with so:

GK: Carson/Sorensen

RB: Coloccini/Caldwell

LB: Bouma

CB: Davies/Mellberg

CB: Knight/Laursen

CM: Reo-Coker/Gardner

CM: Van Der Vaart/Petrov

CM: Barry/Maloney

RW: Young/Gabby

LW: Capel/Maloney

ST: Carew/Moore

my first demo game was with the Villans or "Poison Chalice" as i used 2 call them a week ago. First thing, raise expectations, clear the deadwood and shore up defence...

Players Out

Sorenson...Bouma...Laursen...Mellberg...Carew

Players In

Shorey DL....Taylor DR... Jean II Makoun..MC.. Gamst Pedersen AMLC.... Defoe S..

First XI - 4-3-1-2 Trying 2 play like Arsenal

GK: Carson - Safe Hands - Try and buy him

DR: R Taylor - Steady attacking U21 full back

DL: Shorey - Steady attacking INT full back

DC: Davies - pacey defender

DC: Knight - Strong defender - mistake prone tho

MC: Makoun - VCapt - playmaking holding midfield

MlC: Barry - Capt - Industrious Leader mid

MRC: Reo-Coker - Forward thinking midfielder

AM: Petrov - Surprisingly gd - playmaker

S: Defoe - SO GOOD IN FM08 - Goal machine

S: Young - 2footed dribbling/ assisting striker

Obviously had back ups like maloney, gardner & agbonlohar etc who are very handy. Wud buy new playmaker in summer - van de vaart is a genius in this game so most likely.

Played attack minded, c-attacking thru the middle up tempo football using my playmaker - 2nd at turn of year - not bad eh Randy???

Have deleted it tho - Im a forest fan and there revival must take priority when I receive the game...!

Decided to go against the grain a bit with my signings as I'd signed Van Der Vaart about 5 times in the demo and wanted to mix things up a bit in the full game

My team so far

GK Carson

DR Sergey Ignasevich

DC Curtis Davies

DC Zat Knight

DL Joleon Lescott

MR Tranquilo Barnetta

MC Nigel Reo-Coker

ML Gareth Barry

AMC Renato Augusto (class)

FC Carew

FC Guilherme

I'm going to need a new GK and a striker at some point, no cash right now tho, also another def would be nice, Augusto is immense at AMC tho

wel im an albion fan took over villa ha.

ive signed van der vaarticon_biggrin.gif Sergey Ignasevich

and pinola the argentinian left back and bellucshi for 3.8 mil what a bargain. eddie johnson and kallon on a free.

my team looks very good.

questions to ask....can i trust scott carson?

is agbonlahor better this time around?

luke moore? ashley young? how are they?

Guest beav1s-

Just finished season 1. 5th place on goal difference (should've got the CL place icon_frown.gif and FA Cup Runner-Up)

Was playing a sort of 4-3-3

GK: Carson

DR: Giourkas Seitarides

DL: Wilfred Bouma

DC: Zat Knight

DC: Curtis Davies

DMC: Makoun

MC: Appiah/Reo Coker

MC: Gareth Barry

AML: Ashley Young

AMR: Gabriel Abgonlanhor

FC: John Carew

Did very well, very happy and have been making some awesome signings in season 2.

De Sanctis to replace Carson (went back to liverpool), Simao to have another winger, Baines to replace Bouma.

im doing quite well. 6th in the league by the end of november. Only bought in 1 player (Sergey Ignasevich for free who a few people have singed for obviouse reasons :p)

Im getting the Breno character in january. hope he does well for me. im joint top scorer in the league but the defence is a bit leaky of late :/

Il post my whole team selection / tactics etc at the end of the season :p

Worst start ever.

1st game - Man U at Old Trafford. lost 5-1. Played absolute crap, pass completion was awful. I only saw 3 passes go to the intended target.

2nd game - Chelsea at Villa Park. Lost 8-1!!! Don't know where to start. Players again couldn't pass to save their life. May as well have played the game with no midfield or defence. Every attack Chelsea had turned into a goal. Confusingly, even though I set Closing Down to maximum, my players were sitting back and giving them all the time they needed to score 5 from 30 yard shots.

Next up - Liverpool at Anfield. I'm predicting another caning. 6-1 anyone? Complete tactical overhaul now, going Bolton and playing route 1 all the way.

Woo. I don't care what happens in this game, I'm just playing now out of pure stubbornness.

played 2 seasons now.

First players signed were Diego - werder bremen £20mil and Modric £4mil.

Was 2nd for long period of the season, deigo scoring 21 league goals and finished 4th, winning league cup and losing fa cup final.

Lined up with a 4-2-3-1

GK: Carson

DL: Bouma

DR : Mellberg

DC: Knight

DC: Davies

MC: Reo Coker

MC: Barry

AML: Young

AMR Modric

AMC: Diego

FC:Carew/Moore.

Signed Vedran Corluka for £20mil, and carson for £6.5mil in close season and some young prospects.

Just finsihed 5th and got to quarters of CL losing to inter (although i won 1-0 away)

Diego is still class, coming second in world player of the year.

Finished 5th 1 point behind man utd and Chelsea....looking at signing Micah Richards and Migeul Veloso this close season.

Delfouneso played the last 4 games and got 5 goals...so looking for him to step up now.

Just started a game with the mighty villains.

Brought van der vaart for 15 mill which seems like evryone is doing. I also got srna for 8 mill he was rushed through at last min on transfer day because taylor decided to join newcastle. Jelle Van Damme for 650k from Anderlecht seems a good cheap left back. Finally i signed owen for 10 mill and hes just reached fitness fomr his injury scoring a goal on his debut.

Strange start to the season.

Villa 1-0 Fulham

Villa 0-3 Chelsea

Villa 3-2 Arsenal (Changed to 4-5-1 because of last caning although knight was sent off in 18th min and maloney was a late super sub and grabbed the win)

Villa 0-2 Pompey

Villa 0-0 Wigan

Ive won every home game and away i seem shakey.

Cheers from Serbia.

I just start playing with Villa, and I am doing quite well, after 7 games I am 3rd team. Luke Moore scored 14 goals, fantastic!

I have problems in defense though, I bought Alan Hutton cause Melberg was awful in first five games, I play him on CB now, but I just can't make good back line, I play Knight and rotate Davis, Melberg, Laursen... I am not happy at all, my scores are 4:2, 5:3... I also play with Carson.

I tried to sign Vidic but he don't want to come, I offered him 120K and he still refuse to come.

Also bought Zdravko Kuzmanovic from fiorentina for 9M and he scored 4 goals and made three goals in 5 games, but I hate his stupid stamina, he is always at 75% at half time.

I bought David Bentley for 22M. I tried to sign Diego, but he also refused to join my club icon_frown.gif((

I hope to finish on 4-5 place, that would be awesome.

Just started myself with Villa,signed Justin Hoyte for 5.75 mill,also Nicolae Dica for 4.8 mill,i've had a pretty good start winning 4 & losing 1 of my opening 5 games.

Just a couple of things i'd like to say though regarding players positions,it would of been nice if like Gareth Barry's 1st choice position was central midfield & Nigel Reo-Coker could actually be designated playing the DMC position.

Also now Mellberg,Knight & Dica all dislike Agbonlahor!....he did get sent off in my last game but it's a bit drastic!.

I'm currently 2nd in the league, unbeaten in my first 14 games.. so early days I know but encouraging start..

I failed in the transfer market icon_frown.gif Tried to sign James Milner and Micah Richards, rather cheeky, both failed... but I did manage to get Jerko Leko who I have signed on previous games and really does the job. Last years game he became my star player, using him mainly as cover this time though. Also signed Ryan Taylor, who I got as a deadline day transfer after failing to get Micah Richards.

I badly need an attacking right winger, gonna try again for Milner in January, and could also do with another right back.

Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor are amazing though icon_biggrin.gif Put those 2 wide left and right running into the middle, with Carew as a target man and they just rip through defences.

signed:

ignashevich

van der vaart (thought i was amazin when signed, now iv read this i see every1 has)

Renato Augusto

eddie johnson

currently end of february and 9th in league, but won league cup after having the easiest run (no prem team until the final) and in quarter finals of fa cup.

lookin to sign ochoa next season to replace carson. and probably re-enforce the left back position with a young italian/dutch defender,

was offered chiellini in swap for luke moore by inter-milan straight after i added him to shortlist and declared interest... decided not too at time, wish i had now, as carew and gabby are scorin by the bucket load, hope luke proves it was right decision next year...

Aston Villa FC (Season 1)

Giourko Seitridis - 5.75m - DR - Gre - A.Madrid

Mario Santana - 5m - AMR - Arg - Fiorentina

Matias Fernandez - 10.75m - AMC - Chile - Villarreal

Naldo - 7.5m - DC - Bra - Werder Bremen

Jefferson Farfan - 6m - AMLR, SC - Peru - PSV

Played about 16 games Fernandez has 10 goals from central midfield.

Naldo go really poor ratings for first 6 games but then came good and is now a rock at the back.

Santana and Seitridis have been doing pretty well on the right.

Farfan scores goals when i play him up front but doesnt seem to perform for me on the wing even in a 4-3-3.

Im 5th in the table above Chelsea and 2 points outside the top 4 so I have a chance of top 4. I think Randy will lynch me if I dont finish high as i picked Continetal Qual thru League.

Ashley Young is amazing on this game and Luke Moore is doing quite well.

I think that Fernandez is better buy than Van Der Vaart as the latter has problems with injuries and he is only 21 with finishing 18 composure 18 anticipation 16 off the ball 16 and technique 17 also has good pace.

Hi, Celtic fan here. Glad to see at least one of our favourites is doing kinda well with you.

but anyway, I have recently started a new game in footie manager with you guys and would like to hear your thoughts on my team.

I'm bored with winning everything every year with top teams and battling relegation is fun but also too hard therefore i wanted to try a new challenge and push a middle table team to get CL footie.

Managed to fiddle about and end up with £30m transfer kitty so heres my outline for the future at Villa Park -

IN

Nicky Shorey - £10m - Reading (typical of current english tranfers)

Harry Kewell - £2.9m - Liverpool (bargain!)

Jefferson Farfan - £9.75m - Feyenoord (Quality! Though hasn't played for me yet)

Justin Hoyte - £4m - Arsenal (Young and improving, not bad as backup)

Hilario - £1m - Chelsea (More of a 3rd choice goalie in the reserves which was looking thin)

Vagner Love - £7m - CSKA Moscow (Excellent value, fantastic first coice, double on his debut)

-------------------

TOTAL - £34.5m (nothing lerner cant cope with)

OUT

Sorenson - £2.5m - Too slow

Patrik Berger - £250k - Slow, and poor in the air

GK - Carson, Taylor, Hilario

DR - Mellberg, Hoyte

DL - Shorey, Bouma

DC - Knight, Davies

DC - Laursen, Cahill

MR - Farfan, Young

ML - Kewell, Maloney

MC - Reo-Coker, Gardner

MC - Barry, Petrov

ST - Vagner Love, Moore

ST - Carew, Harewood

UP-AND-COMING YOUTH

Osbourne

Salifou

Agbonlahor

Collins

O'Halloran

Every so often I bring the into the squad to cope with injury but mostly they bulk out the reserves which was lookign quite thin when i started.

In january i'll probably look to replace Harewood but it'll do for now.

What do you guys think?!

Ok well I said i'd post my team and stats etc so here it is. Ive only really just started the season but over the transfer period I built up a great Villa team which hasn't done bad so far. At the start of the season, Ashley Young was hit with a 4 month injury which didnt help me at all then to my shock another star, my new right back, got an injury, less minor than Youngs, but still.

Completed Players In:

• Rafael Van der Vaart (HSV) 18.5M -- My driving force. I payed a hefty sum for him and so far he has lifed up to it.

• Julian de Guzman (Deportivo) 10M -- Before getting injured he was a strong right back and once fit in roughly 3 weeks, he will be starting again.

• Jefferson Farfan (Feyernoord) 6.25M -- Well worth 6.25 million. He is a great player and along the right of my pitch is great!

Completed Players Out:

• Elliot Parish (Hibernian) 7k -- Meh, im 7k richer lol. Was never going to use in team and didnt look to good for future.

Future Players In:

• Alex (Bresco) 35k -- Deal To Go Through 6th Jan 08

• Breno (Sao Paulo) 1.9M -- Deal To Go Through 1st Jan 08

• Curtis Davies (West Brom) 10M -- Deal To Go Through 1st June 08

Future Players Out:

• TBA

I didnt really concentrate on selling players due to a lack of talent. In January I will more than likely sell off Marlon Harewood as he just isn't going to feature in my team due to an influx in talent. The matches so far have been great and although im lying 7th, im sure ill get a top 6 place because my team is blending so well which has suprised me. The tactics im using too just fits awesomly using John Carew as my target man works tremendously. Van der Vaart is also on great form scoring goals here there and everywhere! Heres my tactics and starting line up. Please bear in mind I have injuries to Gusman *Right Back* & Young *Winger*

astonvilla.png

Once all my players are fit Young & Gusman will resume first team play. Heres how I stand fixture wise with results etc. Id just like to say also, againt Liverpool we really hit a bright spark and almost turned the game upright with a cracking strike from VdV.

fixturescopy.png

I liked the 8-0 hehe. Yes I believe I splashed the cash wisely. And some how got away without buying a striker. Next season I may drop Carew depending on hw he is doing and bring in Agbonlahor or Moore but if not then with new found money buy in Vagner Love who I very nearly snatched this window. Time will tell. Heres how I stand in the league with so little played.

leaguetable.png

I'll do my next update probably around February 08 game time or if not, then ill do one once the aeason is over summing it up. You can decide if you like my team or not... comments?

Jake Kirby

ManUTDBoi17 - Not bad transfers. A creative midfielder is definately needed but you did get overcharged for VDVaart. Defence will be the first place I look to strengthen, with at least one leftback and one rightback coming in. Farfan is also a good acquisition and Breno looks like he will be a class defender for many years to come.

KUTGW icon14.gif

T.V.

Originally posted by rbcuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D3AN:

How much is everyone having to pay for Van Der Vaart on average?

I'm having to pay about 10M up front and 8mill in clauses icon_redface.gif

I got him for 10mil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This time around they wanted £18.25m for him. So I pulled out and have just had a £9.5m bid accepted for Matias Fernandez icon_biggrin.gif

T.V.

Pompey offered 2mill for Maloney as I transfer listed him (needed money icon_biggrin.gif), I rejected and optimstically offered him to them for 10mill to see what happened. They bid 7.5mill and the board acccepted icon_biggrin.gif

Not bad eh?

Transfers so far:

M.Owen - 9mill

M.Fernandez - 10mill

Miranda - 5mill

S.Ignashevich - Free

Got 12mill left and a bit spare on the wage budget if needed. Who else should I buy?

Possibly a defensive mid?

Cheers

I finished first season as 7th, I needed win in the last game against Tottenham (away) to be 5th, but I just draw and finish 1 point behind Man City and Liverpool icon_frown.gif((

My favorite icon_smile.gif

zdravkout8.th.png

Originally posted by D3AN:

Pompey offered 2mill for Maloney as I transfer listed him (needed money icon_biggrin.gif), I rejected and optimstically offered him to them for 10mill to see what happened. They bid 7.5mill and the board acccepted icon_biggrin.gif

Not bad eh?

Transfers so far:

M.Owen - 9mill

M.Fernandez - 10mill

Miranda - 5mill

S.Ignashevich - Free

Got 12mill left and a bit spare on the wage budget if needed. Who else should I buy?

Cheers

Good bargaining! Haha!!

Matias Fernandez is just waiting for a work permit to join my Villa team, how has he been playing for you?

Who is the Miranda that you have signed? The brazilian centreback is the only good Miranda that I know of...?

T.V.

Originally posted by -TonyVain-:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D3AN:

Not bad eh?

Transfers so far:

M.Owen - 9mill

M.Fernandez - 10mill

Miranda - 5mill

S.Ignashevich - Free

Cheers

Good bargaining! Haha!!

Matias Fernandez is just waiting for a work permit to join my Villa team, how has he been playing for you?

Who is the Miranda that you have signed? The brazilian centreback is the only good Miranda that I know of...?

T.V. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ye the centre back, I've only played a friendly or so and Fernandez was v.good.

I was thinking of maybe getting another stiker to partner Owen. I know Carew is quite good but i'm looking for a bit more quality.

Suggestions?

@ d3ean:

what did you do to get owen? when i offer a contract he says he is willing to come but that i have to improve the offer but i simply can't pay the same wage newcastle pays him. did you unsettle him somehow?

Originally posted by phugalu:

@ d3ean:

what did you do to get owen? when i offer a contract he says he is willing to come but that i have to improve the offer but i simply can't pay the same wage newcastle pays him. did you unsettle him somehow?

Try adjusting your budget in the contract area icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by ManUTDBoi17:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phugalu:

@ d3ean:

Try adjusting your budget in the contract area icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, haven't tried that option before. let's see what it does icon_smile.gif

started a new file as villa after my sunerland file was doing my head in.

nice wee transfer budget to start off with,but alot of improvements needed.

signed doyle from reading for 11m,renato augusto for 7.75m,banega for 2.5m and breno for 1.4m+clauses and ryan taylor for 6m+ % of next sale.

was trying and trying for owen but just couldn't get him in,was a few thousand short off his wages no matter how i restructed the budget.

having a really good season,5th in november and 1/4s of the league cup.

play a 442 with a narrow pitch with wingers working inside

carson

taylor --- davis --- knight --- bouma

renato/maloney --- barry --- petrov --- young

carew --- doyle

finding my midfielders scoring more than me forwards,no complaints though beat 'pool 5-1 at home at beat 'boro 5-1 away!carew perfect target man although think i want a more complete forward in future.also a replacement for petrov and a new winger,got kewell but he's always injured.backline needs seriously strengthened.hope randy will give me a bit next summer provided for euro qualy!

do any of you know any1 in the youth system thats quite promising? cheers lads

Archived