Strange England Managers

After rejecting the England job in 2018, I was surprised too see them appoint some made up guy with absolutely no footballing experience whatsoever, in 2024 after another successful season for me, the job became available again, I resigned from my club fully expecting to be offered it again, yet they laughed off my interest and gave it to another made up nobody, both of these guys never even having so much as a youth coach job on their CV. Is this common as it seems ridiculous? And to make it even stranger, I've only managed in England, none of the real top teams yet but eventually got offered the Italy and France jobs on the same day despite England not wanting me.

• 3 weeks later...

This has just happened to me, they appointed a guy with an obscure rating, 66 and hasn't even managed a club before, rather weird.

I've just resigned after 2 years in charge after I lost in the final of the Euros. More out of frustration of 5 of my players getting injured after the semi either in training or in the first half of the final - my whole midfield in fact.

It's an acknowledged bug that affects all countries.

Since England has the largest number of real managers in the database, they tend to hang in with non-regens for longer than most, but eventually, every country starts generating random, low-CA managers for their national teams.

It's an acknowledged bug that affects all countries.

Since England has the largest number of real managers in the database, they tend to hang in with non-regens for longer than most, but eventually, every country starts generating random, low-CA managers for their national teams.

Are they planning on fixing it? I can imagine it in Zimbabwe or Zambia but it's illy to happen elsewhere. At least start putting some regen managers in BSN/S roles at let them work there way up or even ex players.

After rejecting the England job in 2018, I was surprised too see them appoint some made up guy with absolutely no footballing experience whatsoever, in 2024 after another successful season for me, the job became available again, I resigned from my club fully expecting to be offered it again, yet they laughed off my interest and gave it to another made up nobody, both of these guys never even having so much as a youth coach job on their CV. Is this common as it seems ridiculous? And to make it even stranger, I've only managed in England, none of the real top teams yet but eventually got offered the Italy and France jobs on the same day despite England not wanting me.

Has happened twice in a role now in my game 2 managers made up getting the job, right after each other.

i'm only in 2028 shearer left in 2026 then a made up guy got it, now hes left 2 years later and a new made up guy got it. both have crap stats. the first one was even willing to join me at dearby as a coach when he left england.

Stuart Pearce won back-to-back Euros and was knocked out in the quarters at the 2014 WC. After winning Euro 2016, he resigned and to my surprise they appointed... David Cooper. I got a news item about the nations confusion about the fact he was relatively unknown so I checked his profile - 55 years old, pretty poor stats. Checked biography - England are his first venture into management!

Would England really replace a double Euro championship winner with a guy who has never worked in football? There must be better managers around who would accept the job, I mean it's not Liverpool! ;)

The crap regens getting interntional jobs with no previous experience is just a balls-up from somewhere. Lets be honest, it shouldn't be happening. Not a gamebreaker, a bit annoying and should probably be fixed.

It does break international management since all your opposing managers lack the ability and reputation to properly motivate their superstar-loaded squads.

The crap regens getting interntional jobs with no previous experience is just a balls-up from somewhere. Lets be honest, it shouldn't be happening. Not a gamebreaker, a bit annoying and should probably be fixed.

This does seem to fix itself again after time, about 50 years in on one of my test saves England started appointing decent managers again..........

This does seem to fix itself again after time, about 50 years in on one of my test saves England started appointing decent managers again..........

I've played over 50 years and all the appointed managers remain rubbish on mine. Maybe you just got lucky, or maybe i'm just unlucky.

It isn't just england on my save, i'm subscribed to spain and italy and I know they do the exact same. I agree with what The Hand of God said up the page, puts me off international management, not that i'm that into it anyway.

It does break international management since all your opposing managers lack the ability and reputation to properly motivate their superstar-loaded squads.

Some random guy with no previous managerial experience just guided England to the confederations cup, beating a star-studded Brazil and he's pretty much qualified for the next big tournament. No motivation problems in my save but it could be an exception.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/298355-Billy-Shaw-England-Manager

;)

In that game I took over from the venerable Billy Shaw but was sacked after a freak penalty loss to Croatia in the WC quarter finals. In my place a guy called Alex Simpson, from whose bio we learn that...

Alex Simpson's first and only venture into management was to be a two year spell with England where he was appointed manaager in July 2022. Simpson lifted the European Football Championship with England in 2024.

Presumably confused and frightened by his success he promptly resigned from football and retired to life in a shed in the woods. Next up was Lois Gore who you've never heard of because he's noone. Fortunately some vague semblance of normality has returned after Gore was sacked before a major tournament and Paul Clement, who has had a long and successful managerial career since leaving Chelsea, was appointed instead.

After WC 2022, I was offered the Mexico job (lost the final) the same day the England job (lost in the quarters) went to a newby. Clearly the Mexican FA's TV's had shown them my Houllier Treble and league runners-up campaign with Leicester City, while the boys in Soho Square missed it...

Archived