Flawed Genius(es)

I was inspired to start this thread by a (once) promising regen I signed many seasons ago at 17, and have now let his contract expire at 31.

He was going to be my best ever goal poacher. Fast, physical, but not much aerial game. Good determination, good work rate, pretty good at anticipating and making the right decisions. An average team player, with average passing ability, but a good cross. He was a good finisher from a young age, and able to find space off-the-ball. AND... AND... He was two-footed! Hence, why he was going to be my best ever goal poacher! I mean, if you can pop them in with both feet, you should score twice as many, right? :D

Sadly, he had 8 composure, and I was working on his strength, physicality and passing as focus areas, till he was about 23, 24. I figured because he didn't keep his composure that well, but he was strong, that he shouldn't think so much about it, and just power the ball into goal. One of my worst ever managerial decisions, in hind sight. Spent the next 7 years skying the ball, whenever presented with an opportunity on either foot! :mad:

There's definitely a lesson in there, I'm currently ignoring most of my coaches recommendations for individual player improvements...thinking I know best, time for a quick recap on who could be doing what.

I like how you still gave him a career, despite his lack of goals.

I guess when he was around 19/20, I hoped it would increase more on its own naturally. So in retrospect I wouldn't have given the PPM, trained his composure more, and from a younger age, and probably played him wider because of his crossing, which I was reluctant to do, because I thought his two-footedness was best served when the player operates centrally.

He still did score, of course, but squandered more chances than any player I have ever managed.

Nocuous, its funny, but I have had bad luck with 2 footed strikers before, and I was hoping this kid was going to put an end to the curse. I tend to rate pace and determination, but definitely avoid low composure players. Learnt that lesson, thanks! :)

Archived