UI suggestion: resizing pitch dimensions independently from entire window

I like to watch the match in TV-mode, but I also like lots of information: so, I go massive widget-mode. But I dislike the widgets obscuring my view.

My ultimate screen would be something like:

[widgets|pitch|widgets]

So I get unobscured view of the pitch and space for my widgets in whatever way I want to organise them. Ideally, I'd like to be able to resize the pitch-section in TV-mode, leaving me lots of options in organizing my widgets.Failing that I'd like at least enough space to place a widget on either side of the pitch without obscuring the pitch.

And transparent widgets are but a poor man's solution to my needs.

They could fix this really easily.

Simply let you set up the Widgets where you want. Then the TAB key or something to hide them all automatically.

Hit the key again and they come back up again.

Simply let you set up the Widgets where you want. Then the TAB key or something to hide them all automatically.

I like this idea :)

Also Championship Manager 2010 had it right as far as on screen widgets go (about the only thing they did get right!). The widgets were off screen at either side of the pitch view and only appeared when you moved your mouse to that side of the screen. No messing about with maximise, minimise, or obscuring the match action with panels was needed.

As a widget fanatic myself i'd love to see this implemented, cracking idea.

How would you move them if the mouse went near them they disappeared?

Another way perhaps would be that you could set the Widget opacity, and if you rolled over it - then it would go to 100% opacity. Roll off and it goes to 5% or 0% or whatever you choose.

Or have a widget panel that "slides" back into view if you move your mouse to the edge.

All sorts of options are possible. I'd be really happy if SI would put a little effort into UI design on such simple usability issues.

The UI is completely shocking in the game. Absolute worst UI I think I've ever used.

Care to expand on that?

I would like to read your reasons why you think is the worst UI. Also expanding your reasons beyond that, not only promote a proper discussion, but also help out the guys at SI improve the UI.

I'm not Eugene, but some bad UI-decisions in my mind are:

- Not being able to manipulate the contents of a widget without going into skinning (I want my player-rating / player motivation widgets with customized information, just like I can customize views in the squad screens)

- Not being able to create a new tactic without it taking the place of an existing one. Now, I have to do all the designing and visualisation on a seperate piece of paper instead

- Not being able to map players from one formation to a second one, so I have to reshuffle my players all over the place when I change formations.

- Generally speaking, UI is unresponsive

- Changing players on the tactic screens is prone to some weird misclicks. I have more than once changed the wrong player by accident. At a guess, I'd say the outlines of the clickable areas do not match the visual icons, or that the unresponsive UI makes my click-and-drag action register on the wrong area.

- Screens not remembering or remembering the wrong state

- Players on loan: I can neither see a coach report, nor make a real scout report, so I can't even see as much as a completely non-owned player. Weird...

- Tactics: I want a certain player to always manmark the fullback: this must now always be set in each single match...

- On my screen, the player instruction tactic page has enough real estate to show both the attributes as well as the individual instructions. Why not show them both?

- Never being able to find the "find loan candidates" command for my AssMan.

- Friendly-planning is a click-fest

And that's just without thinking too much. I won't say it's shocking, but it's hardly the friendliest UI I've ever seen, even considering this is a "Pro"-type application and not so much for novice users.

True, for a game where like 90 percent of the gameplay pretty much is the UI and clicking on buttons - as opposed to a FPS where you stroll around looking at things (and shooting them) - FM is hardly the most user friendly piece of software.

Archived