Advice on strange player reaction

I signed Sime Vrsaljko for Aston Villa 1st season. He went straight into my 1st team and has done very well (7.30avr with 5 assists in 23 games). Currently in February and leading the table infront of Man Utd.

Vrsaljko got injured for 4-5 weeks end of december, so he missed 7 games. Now that he is back in the side he is reacting strangely to all my team talks. I usually use the "For the fans"-comment at the start of the game, calm against good opposition and away from home, but I use assertively at home to weaker sides.

For the last three games I've said "for the fans" and he has reacted negatively in all games - "Looked to switch off". He has also been the only one to react negatively to my half time and post match talks.

In example in my last game against Liverpool this happened again. At half time we were up 3-1 so I use the (calm)"Pleased - keep it up" option. Almost everyone got a good reaction, and I can't actually think of a time that I've used this and gotten a bad one. Vrsaljko however looked to switch off again.

We ended up winning 5-1 and I said passionately "well done/good win". Again almost all got good reactions, except for Vrsaljko who looked to switch off.

What's going on here? His personal information shows him as Enjoying playing for the club, Please with his training schedule and Please that Hamsik has joined the club.

No, it says he's used to playing at a higher tempo, looking exhausted out there and has made some crucial interceptions for us.

I'm gonna try and let him come off the bench for a few games.. see if that makes a difference.

Seems to have set him straight.. three games of the bench. Came back and since haven't got a reaction from him. Got sent off in his first game back from start though.

Sounds like he might do better when pressure is placed on him. Next time you're 3-1 up at half-time and he's played well tell him not to get complacent and see what happens. Make note of it.

What's his determination, personality, and media handling?

So last game he had no reaction, but played brilliantly getting MOM. Gave him a comment on his good defensive work after the game and he said thanks.

Playing next game now against Arsenal, replay at home in the 5th round of the fa cup. He just "looked to switch off" again from a for the fans-comment.

He has Determination 18, personality is Determined and Level headed media handling. I'll try that at the next opportunity, SA, thanks.

For the simple reason that it's working (except maybe in the case of Vrsaljko). It is also what the assistant manager suggests almost every game.

I'm basically winning or drawing every game so I do think complacency is a danger, but this team is still expected to finish midtable. Considering its a very young squad this seems the best option. The few times I've used 'expect to win' I have outplayed the opposition but really struggled to score. Recently I used that at home against a struggling Sunderland. Shots statistic ended 32-3 with only 5 long shots. Still I had to wait until 93 min 30 sec for substitute Weimann to finally win us the game.

I think this crop of players are very prone to pressure considering their age and the little time they've had to play together, and in terms of team talks that doesn't leave me with many options.

Cougar is right, though; the game is designed so that the same team talk becomes less effective over time. You have to vary it appropriately.

The particular player has a great personality, by the sounds of it, and can probably handle you asking more of him. In fact, he probably expects it.

Archived