Do you feel guilty cashing in on your players?

Do you ever feel guilty cashing in on your players? I just signed an 18 year old wonderkid and so can raise some funds selling a 27 year old (my oldest striker) daniel sturridge.

I've managed to get an offer for 30min touting him around (value is 16.5m).

I feel so guilty selling him though! I signed him to my nottingham forest team and he's been a solid performer helping me rise to title contenders/winners and european champions.

I don't need 5 strikers though -- I'll just end up rotating for the sake of keeping them happy.

Nope, I'm more than happy to ship players out of the club once their wage demands get too high or they are getting close to their 30th birthday, sell & reinvest in the future has always been my FM motto

I happily sold a club legend who I nurtured to superstar status because I didn't want to break the £100K a week barrier & was overjoyed when I got a £40m bid for a full-back, if it was possible I would have paid for his travel expenses & stood over him while he signed his new contract.

I remember I sold a 28 year old striker (who I had groomed since 17) to Valencia for $54m (36m pounds?). He was only getting about 10 league goals a season because of squad depth limiting opportunities but was homegrown, so was still very very useful in Europe. He went on to get about a goal a game for 5 years in Spain!

I was happy for him, and happy I sold him to a small-ish club, but I couldn't help but be upset he didn't achieve that form with me, and to boot, I didn't think he had 5 years at that level in him!

I sold a LB to Real Madrid for $90m+ (60m pounds?), just over 30 years old, and a genuine successor was 21 and coming up the ranks. This offseason I had to turn down bids of close to $80m for a 22 y.o. aerially dominant CB.

I do sometimes feel guilty, as it's so easy to play the game buying young players, developing them, then selling them for huge fees as they hit late twenties; rinse and repeat. Clubs don't do this in reality as bringing in young players always represents a gamble. But in FM it's never a gamble.

If a player is over 30, typically I sell him. It takes a long time to develop players, but I typically (depending upon the size of the team) run 3 players per spot in my team, 1 "elite" another elite bug younger, and then a true youngster who has a long way to go. I sell the older one when the others are ready to take over and repeat.

I cant feel too guilty about it, plus they're usually begging for a new challenge when I get around to selling anyway.

The greatest challenge for me is to win consistently, but to also develop talent at the same time. What I mean is being successful year after year after year, not winning the league a couple years, squad gets old, young players come up, 2 or 3 years later the team wins the league again. I aim for the 'smooth transition', and have gotten pretty good at it.

I never have injury crises because of the squad's depth, but rotation can be a problem, with someone inevitably not getting a great deal of playing time, due to their performances, or age. Now that the club has a massive bank balance following 20 years of shrewd business I am not as quick to sell players as I was in earlier days! I am more wary of strengthening my main opposition, and having seen so many stars play at a high level till 33/34 I tend not to let my favorites go before 31!

I do sometimes feel guilty, as it's so easy to play the game buying young players, developing them, then selling them for huge fees as they hit late twenties; rinse and repeat. Clubs don't do this in reality as bringing in young players always represents a gamble. But in FM it's never a gamble.

I never sell my legends.Raul ist 38 and still playing for me (Schalke 04). He isn't my first choice, but he gets his minutes now and then, in fact my best player regarding goals/90. He's going to get a contract as long as he wants, same as all club legends.

As I'm moving up in reputation, and in turn attracting better players, I do at times feel kinda bad selling off the guys who had gotten me to that point.. But it just does not make much sense keeping them, as it does not take long to find much better players... If I try to keep them, and keep them happy by rotating them in from time to time, that just hinders the progress of my younger players who need the playing time those veterans are taking up.

I do get a kick out of it though when it comes back to bite me though, like the older striker who had taken me from the bottom of Bundesliga 2 to mid table Bundesliga 1 that I had sold off to make room for a rapidly emerging youngster... First game against his new team, he torched me with 4 goals and 2 assists.

I will only sell a player if the bid matches my expectaitions, even if that means having a season where their on higher wages that id like or thier not there.

Certain players ill let see out their contracts if close to retirement.

On the whole however i stgart looking to sell under following circumstances

A) I can replace him with better or similar standard a a younger age for the same price or less

B) He just cant complete 90 mins. I dont like consistantly subbing the same player

C) an offer is just too good to refuse and i can strenthen more than three areas of the team with the money brought in/removal of wages.

I have a similar issue now playing as man utd in . I ahve just signed Lacazzette, who id never heard of before, for 75 Million in 2017. his stats are amazing, just as good as Rooneys. Chelsea are sniffing around rooney, and even though ive started marginalising rooney to fit the new striker into by 1 striker formation, i cant bring myself to accept any of the offers on the table for wayne as hes been my top scorer every season...

+1

This is the biggest reason FM is not nearly challenging enough. It is too easy to get young players with high PA, and train them to reach that PA. There is almost zero risk. Hence it is also no brainer decision to sell your accomplished players because you make a lot of monet that way and you know you will easily replace them. AI on the other hand is not aware of this and behaves more like in real life, by holding on to their aging star players. Just for the sake of realism and keeping the game challenging, we have to roleplay and behave like we would in real life.

It is time for SI to throw in a new factor into the game, an 'uncertainty factor', should be hidden, and should have a big effect on player development. Of course this can be done by significantly reducing the accuracy of the scout reports.

Sorry, this was off-topic.

I don't sell players who are older as much any more as on this version they age well and can still play at a consistent level, I keep a fair few and only sell them if I have better players coming in, if I don't I keep them there. I keep legends around though.

I'd find it boring to keep the same old players there, it'd stunt youth development so massively to keep playing old players, unless they're irreplacable (think players of Messi-quality). Dont see the point in keeping them if I can replace them with someone younger and still get a fee.

Why feel guilty? its not real :D

I have sold many players in the past and the fans weren't happy about it but if you're getting a deal you are pleased with and if you think you can use that money to improve the team to a better level than it was before you should sell :)

I often buy youngsters purely to sell them on at a profit in the same way Udinese use Grenada to invest in players and increase their values IRL. Love signing kids and seeing them grow but rarely feel sad when they leave.

Archived