Pitch Dimensions

Alright, I get a message asking for what I require my pitch lengths, which I am sure people are familiar with. Can someone explain in depth howthe mininum, standard and maximum pitch sizes differ from each other. For eg it says in my Atletico save that "the Euro Cup regulations state the pitch can be no longer than 105m long and 68m wide". Why does it state this like there is a chance of ignoring these rules, really confused.

To get more to the point, I am told the pitch size at Atletico is a standard one, which is currently 105m long and 70m wide so is there anyway this can interfere with the Europa League standards? Please explain pitch dimesions to me someone, thanks

At the top level they will have next to no effect.

At lower levels, where there are less restrictions on pitch size, they can have a big effect. A wider pitch will make wide play more successful because the wingers will have more room. A long pitch will mean players have to run more between goals. A short pitch will mean there is more goal action. Bigger pitches will give you more room to create, small pitches will make pressing easier.

FM should introduce variable pitch dimensions for different competition, iirc Stole City were not he first team to use a smaller dimension pitch for domestic games than they did for Europa League games.

Longer pitches put more demand on high defensive lines, since there is plenty of space to exploit behind them. Shorter pitches make it more difficult to play direct passing, since the players are more crammed together.

Wider pitches allow for more wide play with wingers, encouraging the use of dribbling and crosses. Narrower pitches restrict the space given to wingers and force more play into a congested middle.

Of course, I have no idea how much of an effect the dimensions have on the match engine. It could be one of those red herring variables.

Archived