Financial Issues

Okay, so I have taken Stockport from the BSP up to the Premier league, and regularly win the title. Trouble is as a result of snapping up some of the world's best players on 48 monthly installments, I am forever going between 100 million and 200 million in the red every season. 2 in game seasons ago I went in to administration and had 9 points deducted (but I still won the title by 16 points!)

Is there a way out of this in the short term or do I need to be patient? I am offloading high earning fringe players as we speak and attempting to put the emphasis on youth. I have agreed deals to sell 2 key players in the next transfer windows which will reduce the wage bill as I have a number of good players in their positions. I cannot see what more I can do. I am limiting my squad to have 2 players for every position and no more - as I have tended to just buy anyone who looked half decent.

any suggestions would be great, and I also wondered is my job likely to be in danger if I have a couple of trophy-less years?

Any help would be gratefully received!!

When you start winning the league comfortably it's easy to just buy players 18 and under and develop them. Just because you have a transfer budget, doesn't mean you have to blow it on big players.

But that's more of a long-term solution, in the short term you will just have to sell your more valuable players for as much money as possible.

Those 48 deals is one reason I keep away from them. Too many of those and you will cripple your club with debt. You will need to sell your valuable players but you still have to pay off those deals. Not the best of situation to be in!

The 48 month deals should not be an excuse to quadruple the amount of money you spend.

Bizarrely, the board will give you enough rope to hang yourself when it comes to transfer budgets and salaries.

Knocking your wage budget is another way to save money.

I am managing Juventus and Sevilla. Juventus was not doing great when I arrived, but they had $30m for me to use on transfers, and now, some 20 years later there is $800m in the bank balance (zero debt, stadium owned). Sevilla similarly were perennial 3rd place, with an aging squad, but gave me about $30m when i took over. Bank balance 10 years later, just under $400m.

So yeah, I think I handle finances pretty well, and still win the league. CL for the last 4 seasons in a row, with no reloads, I am quite proud of, as well.

Archived