Laughable

I'm hardly the one to go on anti-FM rants, but what I witnessed today is a tad too much.

Euro League 4th Qual. Round, I won the first leg at home 3-2, and in the second leg it was 1-1 in the 90th minute.

The ref showed 3 mins of added time. Those three minutes passed with the ball being in play almost all the time, no subs or anything either. However, the match is still on...94th, 95th, 96th minute...still nothing happening, I'm not even under a heavy pressure, plenty of opportunities for the ref to blow the final whistle...but no, 97th (seventy-ninth!) minute, a random long ball into my box and that's a goal!

:applause:

Now, that's a bug if I ever saw one. Unless the regular SI apologizers are willing to justify such a thing once again.

It's not a bug. Added time is a minimum amount. So, should the ref want to, he could keep the game going.

Minimum, yes, but in case there was some time wasting, ball out of play etc. during that time...A referee doesn't add another 4 minutes when the ball had been in play almost all 3 minutes of originally set added time. Unless SI have introduced biased refs and conspiracy theories in FM.

Two questions:

Does it happen irl? if the answer is no it's a bug.

If it does happen irl does it happen too often in the game? I know that's hard to quantify but if the answer is yes it's wrong but it's a bit more subtle than a bug.

In my experience it does happen irl, in fact it's not even a rare occurrence.

I think it is quite rare irl, unless there is a significant stoppage in the last 5 minutes of normal time or during the additional time you will generally hear the final whistle being blown within 30 seconds of the indicated additional time.

I think it is quite rare irl, unless there is a significant stoppage in the last 5 minutes of normal time or during the additional time you will generally hear the final whistle being blown within 30 seconds of the indicated additional time.

My point exactly. In case of an injury (or faking one), a substitution or two taking too long etc. refs tend to add a minute or two on top of their previously added time. Everything else is quite suspicious and happens very rarely IRL (mostly in favour of big teams playing minnows).

Stop nitpicking Alex:D to see it on TV is quite rare but it happens quite a lot, nobody has ever sussed whether it's due to refs being stupid or vindictive but it does happen.

It's meant to be something like an extra 30 seconds or a minute added for each incident (injury/sub) iirc, though I'm assuming nothing really happened during that time in your game?

Bugs forum is the place for this, as mentioned above.

To suggest that this is a fairly frequent occurence in real life is ridiculous.

We have seen occassions where games go over the injury time allocated, but this is due to things like injuries, goal celebrations and other stoppages. If the ball has been constantly in play for the whole of the three minutes, the referee would not just decide to more than double the amount of injury time indicated. The referee would get severely marked down in his report for this and would probably face refereeing in a lower league for a week as punishment.

However, if it is just a one-off then I'd bite my tongue and let it slide.

Stop nitpicking Alex:D to see it on TV is quite rare but it happens quite a lot, nobody has ever sussed whether it's due to refs being stupid or vindictive but it does happen.
I've certainly seen it happen more frequently lower down the football pyramid when the home team is attacking, I've not seen it as much in the English professional game.

Thankfully it is fairly rare in FM (at least in my matches) but the match has to be worth looking at if only to rule out some errant code doing something it shouldn't.

This does not happen irl!

Quite often the ref will add more time than people were expecting, never will a ref add another 4 minutes after after that unless there has been a serious or prolonged issue.

Guys, you need to get away from this being some sort of SI genius in simulating Fergie time. Whatever the reason (deliberate or otherwise) this shouldn't happen in a football sim. People have been complaining for a few years about FM becoming less enjoyable, this sort of thing won't help.

This does not happen irl!

Quite often the ref will add more time than people were expecting, never will a ref add another 4 minutes after after that unless there has been a serious or prolonged issue.

Guys, you need to get away from this being some sort of SI genius in simulating Fergie time. Whatever the reason (deliberate or otherwise) this shouldn't happen in a football sim. People have been complaining for a few years about FM becoming less enjoyable, this sort of thing won't help.

Actually, something like that does happen IRL. It's rare, true, but it happens.

One or two seasons ago in Holland a similar situation happened, which was the talk of the day afterwards. In a very important match the ref added up to eight minutes of injury time, despite hardly any injuries or other situations that would justify the extra time.

A goal was made in the injury time that had some major consequences.

Referee adding more than double of indicated injury time with the ball in play just doesn't happen. In fact, it's very common for referees to not add more time for subs/goal celebrations during injury time when they probably should have. Remember the uproar over Owen's goal against City where adding an additional 1 minute and 25 seconds actually was justified?

Man U v Man C when Mark Hughes blew a fuse, the ref never did justify that.
That was 4 minutes shown, a goal scored in injury time (and loads of celebrations), and the goal scored close to 6 minutes. Nothing like the OP's scenario, where... Nothing happened until the very end, with a 100% increase in injury time (not 50% as was the case at Old Trafford).

That was 4 minutes shown, a goal scored in injury time (and loads of celebrations), and the goal scored close to 6 minutes. Nothing like the OP's scenario, where... Nothing happened until the very end, with a 100% increase in injury time (not 50% as was the case at Old Trafford).

That's what he says but the PKM could show something different, there are far worse cases than the one I quoted but the key of course is whether or not the game did it for correct reasons.

One thing FM never seems to do is blow smack on time, every match seems to get a minute or two longer than it should (don't think that's just my perception) and of course it never blows fractionally early which some refs actually do under certain circumstances.

Archived