Goalkeepers moving to clubs they wont play at

Before I start I know there are lots of keepers who have warmed the bench for seasons - Steve Harper etc

In FM though while I get why the club would try and buy the players (they are good keepers after all) I don't get why they go themselves. Two examples from my current game

Tim Krul - had a good couple of seasons at Newcastle as first team when Chelsea come and buy him for something like £20m. He barely plays for 3 seasons (and is upset from about half a season in) as Cech is still #1. He is granted a transfer but no-one comes in (strange in itself) with him at about £6m. Man City eventually do and he signs for them despite the fact that he was always going to be behind Hart. Now okay going to Man City might seem okay but he's just spent 3 years moaning about not playing surely the odds on him playing regularly at city were worse than staying at Chelsea where Cech is getting on a bit

Secondly Man City then go and buy Smithies from Huddersfield in January and now he too is upset they aren't playing him. Admitedly I can see the lure of him going there (although huddersfield were (and still are) in with a good shout of promotion from the championship.

So while I can see why a player might go it seems a little strange to me. If they go then they shouldn't get as upset so quickly at not playing and it'd be good to see them turn the moves down in favour of playing first team football somewhere else. Today M.Vorm is being touted as going to Arsenal; while I can see Arsenal being interested I'd be surprised to see him end up there because the incumbant is probably gonna be first choice for years.

Archived