View-only leagues in a long-term career

I've never experimented with putting leagues on "view-only" before. Usually I like to load top divisions from many countries just to have an active football world around me but I would always keep all of those leagues on "playable", even though I had no intention on managing in any of them as I usually stick to a single team per save. I know that in view-only leagues you get less players and less staff loaded but what I'm curious about is the longevity of a long career with those leagues. Do they produce enough newgens to keep those leagues competitive?

View-only leagues tend to be very inactive in the transfer market, I'm currently involved in a clan game where a few nations have been added as view-only & after 5 seasons all of the teams below the top divisions are filled by grey players & the top division teams nearly at that point.

IMHO do not use the feature.

So does that mean there are more transfers in countries you dont select rather than viewonly leagues?

there are far more transfers / newgens in "view only" nations than when they're not picked at all. I would add as many "view onlys" as you can.

I used to play with 8 "fully" loaded nations and nothing else and i had trouble offloading quite a lot of my players. I now load 8 "fully" loaded nations and around 20 "view only" nations and the transfer market is far more busier and the game speed is the same.

The main positives with view only are that 1. If you have feeder clubs in these nations the players that you send to them will actually play games and 2. View only leagues do not slow the game speed down. You can load literally every league as a view only and the game will run smoothly. I always put every league that I don't intend to play down as view only purely to make fixture congestion the same across the board and to allow loans to be more realistic/effective.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I think this issue has been cleared up for me. I did try a little experiment where I loaded up every league in the game but put all but one in view-only mode. The star rating for performance remained the same. Only after I started switching more and more leagues from view-only to playable did the rating start to go down. In my next save I'll definitely utilize view-only leagues a lot more.

Actually I have one other question. Just for competition purposes, would it better to keep the top 4 or 5 European leagues on "playable" rather than on "view-only" in order to prevent the clubs there from lagging behind the top clubs in the league you're managing?

Actually I have one other question. Just for competition purposes, would it better to keep the top 4 or 5 European leagues on "playable" rather than on "view-only" in order to prevent the clubs there from lagging behind the top clubs in the league you're managing?

Thats what I do. If I only have one nation loaded I find that nation ends up dominating the European competitions. My default set up is always a minimum of England (level 1 - 5) and Spain, Italy, and Germany (top divisions) set as playable even if I only stick to managing in England for my entire career. I find that keeps the Champions League and Europe League, as well as the World Cup and Euro's very competative season after season. I often have all other European leagues set to view only.

I'm not sure how the problems with FM12's too many low PA newgen creation will effect that set up though since I haven't managed to play more than 10 seasons before some bug pops up and spoils it. But that was my set up on FM11 and FM10, and I had no problems with it. Kept things competative.

Its a shame you cant add leagues in game as view only. As im getting further into my game and it saddens me to see so many international teams only able t put out half a team. I never actually knew view only didnt slow the game down otherwise i would have had a lot put in, typically i play with 5 top leagues and it gives a great balance. but im finding something is missing from just using english leagues.

Archived