Are injuries predetermined?

In my 5th season as Milan manager I had won every game up until the Derby Della Madonnina which I lost, I then went on my worst run of form as Milan manager, having my 15 point lead cut down to 2 before I was able to steady the ship and get results back on track. As it happens, around of the start of this run of bad form, my strikers began dropping off with horrible injuries until I had to start loaning strikers from abroad once the winter window opened. Not until I was put out the champions league in the last 8 did my strikers start coming back from injuries.

Then, with about 3 games of the season left, I saved and quit the game then when I came back to play again, I received the XML parsing error and lost the save I was playing. I dont use the rolling save feature, I turned that off a while back but there was a back up, only problem was it went back to November, just around the start of that horrible run of form. It dawned on me that that was coming and that the horrible injuries were about to occur (by this point Cavani was already injured, not much I could do there). I changed a few things about the way I approach games and I was able to avoid the same damage caused form wise the first time round, but there was absolutely no avoiding the injuries to my strikers. One comes back, another gets injured. Out of my 3 star strikers, I dont have 2 fit at any one time.

So I wondered, is it possible that the game decided earlier in my season that this was going to happen? Maybe it stems back to pre-season, the training I had them on (most of the problems are muscular, although Pato did break his leg, followed by Cavani breaking his arm), or is it down to the great form I had leading up to November, did the game decide then that it was going to make it hard for me to continue like that?

Has anyone else had similar?

• Administrators

No, the injury system doesn't work like that. If you work players too hard eventually yes there's more chance they can break down but it's not 'pre-determined' as such.

In FM11 my star striker became injured. Then he came back and in the first match, after like 5 minutes on the pitch, he was injured again. Then, when he came back, after another couple of minutes in the first comeback match he got injured again. I ragequit! Luckily I had saved just ahead of that game and played it again (the next day or something). The same thing happened; a few minutes passed and off he went. In a red fog of anger I was in at that time I don't remember how many times I reloaded before my NOT INJURY PRONE striker was not injured in that match, but I do remember going on for a while.

If I had a punching bag with FM stitched into it available when he finally managed 90 minutes without injury, I would have torn that thing apart!

The amount of times I have had all my left-backs out with injury and the rest of the team injury free, or all my strikers, or all my centrebacks, or all my right wingers (amounting to 1st through 5th choice out - doesn't matter how many I've got; so I'd say that if I had 15 right-backs in the squad it would still be probable to have them all injured at the same time), tells me that injuries aren't random at all. Of course, all the forum users in here will tell me that FM is not an evil, vengeful demon possessing my computer - but they're its minions so I won't listen to them on this issue.

It works on individuals not teams which is really what the OP is asking and it factors in injury proneness, condition, tackling settings etc, really as close to the real life causes as the game can get.

My red star save, my best AMC regen goes down with injury for 3 months preseason, then I decide I will give my young prospect Filip Jankovic who has developed for 3 years the starting duties, and I also manage to get Kevin De Bruyne for competition, who is far and away the most talented player on my team, and is red stars transfer record.

Next game Filip Jankovic out for 3 months, this is btw he had just fully recovered from a 2 month injury, it was just a friendly, kevin de bruyne starts next game and breaks his leg for 3 months. Darko Lazovic, who averages 8.10 a game for me and is reigning 3 time serbian player of the year is usually one of my wingers but desperate times called for him to play AMC, guess what happens next game BOOK broken leg.

My conditioning training was not heavy or intense and the players were all close to match fitness. They weren't overworked. It seems like FM just decided to target one position and completely decimate it. 4 AMCs out long term in a week. All of whom happen to be my best players.

I had just won the european cup before this awful summer of doom. I often feel like when you are doing too well and overachieve the game gets mad and tries to screw you.

Of course.. the game is out to get you :rolleyes:

This is clearly proof that SI are a member of the illuminati and are planning the New World Order by causing you to go crazy by manipulating people's FM savegames!!!!!

Personally I don't think injuries are predetermined at all, however there seems to be too many serious long term injuries and not enough minor short term 'knocks' in my experience. Broken legs, cruciate ligaments, factured skulls etc - I can usually gurantee my squad will suffer an above real-life average of those types of injuries per season. I remember in one match 3 players doing their cruciate ligaments. :rolleyes:

There is a solution though, you can reduce the ratio of serious long term injuries and increase the frequency of short term minor injuries in your editor, although a new game will need to be started.

I agree with the above.

I don't believe injuries are predetermined (Currently in my 15th season on my current save and only had one season where i've suffered an injury crisis) but it seems that the minimum period my players will be injured for is '3-4 weeks'. I very rarely see a player getting a knock leaving him out for a week or less.

I remember I was managing a team in the World Cup one time, and before the tournament starts something like 3 key players go down injured. Well, it was a more innocent time and I decided to heal them up with an editor. Next game, I had 5 injuries happen! 5! In one game! I couldn't believe my eyes.

The worst for me is when I see the opposition run over at full speed, slide tackle my player, he goes down injured in the box... And there is no call. No yellow, no penalty, but here is a guy who got deadlegged so bad he has to leave the field, but its not a foul??

Of course.. the game is out to get you :rolleyes:

This is clearly proof that SI are a member of the illuminati and are planning the New World Order by causing you to go crazy by manipulating people's FM savegames!!!!!

I think you are on to something. Graeme Kelly is a Templar.

I had similar as in i had a great run of wins and draws with Newcastle roughly 30games unbeaten in all competitions but as soon as i lost that first game it was like a downward spiral of draws / defeats and injury upon injury just to pile on the misery.. It was hard to get out of

I think you are on to something. Graeme Kelly is a Templar.

"Miles" is part of a Martian invasion tasked with providing cheap air travel and cheap entertainment to the masses. Of course, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Also Ter constantly choosing blue and white as the main colours for the skin is a subliminal message about Scottish independence.

"Miles" is part of a Martian invasion tasked with providing cheap air travel and cheap entertainment to the masses. Of course, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Also Ter constantly choosing blue and white as the main colours for the skin is a subliminal message about Scottish independence.

:D What kind of shop are they running up there!?!?!?

Archived