Reckon so, or do I? See what I did there?

I think the majority of possible media comments need to be looked at, amended or scrapped and have more realistic ones implemented.

For example, we have to option to say things like "Wolves have got no chance of staying up for as long as X is in charge". How often do we hear managers say something like this? I don't ever recall a manager saying this in real life.

And when responding to what another manager has said about me, I'm fed up of being asked what I think about that manager as a person. Again, I don't think this is a question managers get asked often in real life.

I am fed up being 12 times in a row SPL winners, Champions league winner and runner up, about 15 domestic cup winners and then having the Celtic manager turn around and say that my team are simply not good enough to win anything despite being 30 points clear in the league and my top player being worth more than most other entire SPL teams put together.

There comes a point when even fierce rivalries should not prevent a manager from seeing reality.

I had a similar gripe last year, so will just copy and paste what I wrote because I'm too lazy to re-type it all.

The reason I totally avoid the media is because of things like this:

Niendorf points the finger

"After Leverkusen's heavy 0-4 Champions Cup defeat to Liverpool, manager Thomas Niendorf informed the media that he felt Kenco was totally out of his depth as The Reds manager and finds it hard to get on with him."

Out of my depth? Not only did I just beat his team 4-0, but in 13 seasons at Liverpool I've won 8 league titles and 31 cups, including the Champions Cup 6 times. Now I'm pretty sure I'm the only manager in the history of the game (my game at least, not counting some of you other FMers) to have achieved that success in the world's premier club competition. And he has the nerve to point his finger??

Now ideally I would respond with some facts (Rafa style) about my success compared to his, but I can't do this. I only have the option to say about 8 different things, like praising his squad or maybe saying I don't like him. I can't even say he is out of his depth or point my finger!

I'd also like the option to break his finger the next time he points it at me!

This is just one example of how poor the media is in the game, and why I don't ever respond to these types of comments. I really hope SI improve this area of the game in FM12.

Clearly they haven't improved it for FM12, so hopefully FM13 will be different. Until then, I will continue to avoid all press conferences / manager comments.

What?

One of the manager comments you sometimes get. It's just tacky and I have no idea why comments like this would be put in the scripting. No manager is going to say that about another.

Its a difficult module to implement I think. If it has an effect on team morale (which it sometimes does in real life) then we say it has too much of a bearing and it shouldn't have.

If it doesn't, then what is the point of being there.

I'm pretty sure, a few notable managers apart, that most football managers detest giving press conferences and answering the same banal, inane questions time and again. They only ever really say the same stuff.

The honest opinions are found on Twitter these days, and even then the FA can intervene.

Perhaps we can have set personality traits and we are just shown newspaper headlines that tie-in with the way we set this up. <- in hindsight, that's a terrible idea.

I agree this whole aspect of the game is stupid. I am especially sick of seeing that i have appeared to be in an equivocal mood during a press conference. I find this hard to believe after being either completely positive or completely negative in my answers i still cant get out of my damn equivocal mood!

Even typing an insulting comment about the opposing managers wife in the text box gets tiring after a while...

One of the manager comments you sometimes get. It's just tacky and I have no idea why comments like this would be put in the scripting. No manager is going to say that about another.

Ah I see. I didn't recognise it, I never comment on managers, but sit press conferences just so my assistant doesn't work in there and claim our biggest rivals are going to win the league again, and upset the entire team sending us into a spiral of needless defeats.

The reason I totally avoid the media is because of things like this:

Niendorf points the finger

"After Leverkusen's heavy 0-4 Champions Cup defeat to Liverpool, manager Thomas Niendorf informed the media that he felt Kenco was totally out of his depth as The Reds manager and finds it hard to get on with him."

Thomas Niendorf ended up Leverkusen manager in your game? that's bizarre. I usually sign him as a scout. Although in the editor I gave him some non-playing history (manager for Vancouver's PDL team) and it became a bit harder to sign him.

My ideal Assistant Manager should LOVE press conferences, because personally, I don't ever really want to attend more than half of them. After a nice win I don't mind attenting a press conference at all, and if my team plays exceptionally poorly (i.e. we lose) then I again face the media, because I have nothing to hide, and telling the truth to the media is often the first step in getting my players to turn their moods around, and improve performances.

My Sevilla side lost a game very early in the season against Sporting (who ended the season relegated) and lost. Terrible finishing, no desire, completely complacent. I locked them in the dressing room after and laid into them. Result: 17 game winning streak.

I had a presser recently where I was asked if I felt suitably prepared for my opponents (2nd place Lazio), and I answered "of course", because I check opposition tactics regularly through the season. They lined up with a 4-1-3-1-1 instead of their usual 4-4-2, and we ended up winning 5-1!

Ah I see. I didn't recognise it, I never comment on managers, but sit press conferences just so my assistant doesn't work in there and claim our biggest rivals are going to win the league again, and upset the entire team sending us into a spiral of needless defeats.

The entire manager interaction & press conference model needs a major re-write, I appreciate the repetitive nature of press conferences as that's how they come across irl but I cannot abide some of the dumb questions that I struggle to recall being asked irl.

My pet hate is being asked whether player Z is unhappy at being substituted while on a hattrick, really can't think of a single real life instance of this question being asked of a manager or player yet it's a 9 times out of 10 question in FM world & there is always the case of being asked who will replace player Y now that he's injured, would be a fair question unless of course the player you're talking about is a fringe player & was only on the pitch because I was given my regular CB the day off.

LOL, I love when I play the backup in the first team, and they get injured due to not being entirely match fit, and the oppositon probably tackling strongly to start a match on the front foot. And then the press ask if the first team starter can put pressure on the backup :)

The entire manager interaction & press conference model needs a major re-write, I appreciate the repetitive nature of press conferences as that's how they come across irl but I cannot abide some of the dumb questions that I struggle to recall being asked irl.

My pet hate is being asked whether player Z is unhappy at being substituted while on a hattrick, really can't think of a single real life instance of this question being asked of a manager or player yet it's a 9 times out of 10 question in FM world & there is always the case of being asked who will replace player Y now that he's injured, would be a fair question unless of course the player you're talking about is a fringe player & was only on the pitch because I was given my regular CB the day off.

Archived