How do you pick your team?

When it comes to match day how do you choose your team?

Specifically i'm curious to see how you decide between to very similar players. For example two defensive midfielders, both fully fit and of similar ability.

I usually follow a line of thought something like this:

90% Condition -> Morale -> Form -> Ability

Condition 1st and foremost - next comes form/morale (if form is good then most likely the morale will be as well) - Out of these 3, ability comes last (unless they're players not yet good enough for my team).

Over all of these things i'll choose players depending on what my opponents strengths and weaknesses are. Usually my CB's and CM pairing will be picked on the logic above, but, say i'm up against a tricky winger i'll choose a more defensive FB (Piris - From my current NUFC save) over a more attacking FB (Santon).

Similarly, i'll do the same for attack. What're my opponents defensive weaknesses? Heading? Tackling? Positioning? Speed(FB?), once I know the answers to questions like these i'll pick my players accordingly in the hope I can expose those weaknesses.

It would depend on who the opposition are, and who we have coming up.

But if the next game was 7 days away, then my 1st XI, with a couple of promising kids on the bench.

If it was in the midst of the December fixture congestion then it goes a little something, like this: Condition > Morale.

Condition (Minimum of 94) UNLESS it's a big match, it's my best player, no suitable replacement, in which case Ill make an exception and play players with a minimum of 89.

After that is sorted it is my best 11. So ability. I don't rotate teams, my first 11 will usually start all but 5 games in the season, unless injury hampers that.

When a member of the first 11 can't play, usually because of condition during congestion. It goes to a) In a hard fixture, the next best ability. b) In a comfortable fixture highest potential player (of suitable ability)

Guest avine

Between to very similar players,both fully fit and of similar ability:

1.Morale preventing overconfindence(in this case i change all my criteria for my starting line-up)

2.Type of Match

3.Who i want to help(i mean help him increase his value;))

I usually write the player names down on little bits of paper, roll them up, then randomly draw them out of a paper cup. ;)

This was proving to be rather an unsuccessful method.

I now peek into the cup as I draw the bits of paper out.

This was proving to be rather an unsuccessful method.

I now peek into the cup as I draw the bits of paper out.

:D............

First thing I look at is condition, it does depend on opposition/match importance though. Secondly is form. I generally only change the team around based on morale if a lot of players are low. I'll try not to play any of them if possible, but I'll play 1 or 2 if they meet the previous criteria of condition and form. Ability comes last, I've left many a star on the bench for long spells if another player is getting it done. (Most recently Ganso has been left out as 39 year old Giggs is still playing incredibly).

I usually write the player names down on little bits of paper, roll them up, then randomly draw them out of a paper cup. ;)

My method is putting the tiny pieces of papers, with the names on them, into small plastic capsules. I mix them up and swallow them. The first eleven names to emerge from my digestive system play the game. I trust my body.

My method is putting the tiny pieces of papers, with the names on them, into small plastic capsules. I mix them up and swallow them. The first eleven names to emerge from my digestive system play the game. I trust my body.

Only problem with that...

...you'll always end up with Palop in goal. :D

I allow all my players to play during the pre-season, in order to gauge their ability to play in the first team.

During the season, I'll select my players based on my above assessment, then I consider their respective condition, form, etc.

I don't like the way I do it, but it would require willpower to change it, and I dont have willpower.

I have a custom view that includes the AssMan's rating, I sort the players by this, and just go down the list putting them in a suitable position if they are fit enough.

Boring

I rotate a hell of a lot. Sometimes I just let the assman pick, as he puts my best players in their best positions, but I'll sometimes make a tweak or two afterwards. If fixture congestion applies, I'll usually pick the entire team manually so I rotate through effectively. If I can afford to in a less-crucial fixture, I'll play backup and/or U19 players to give them game time.

Same here, lots of rotation. It helps with a big squad to keep everyone happy, and it helps with a young squad to help everyone develop. Both of which describe my squad quite well, a large, young, squad! There are the core 10 or so senior players, and a number of them will play practically every match, so a lot of the time I decide who plays based on the opposition, and who hasn't played much. Hence, in games against small teams condition matters, but form, morale and ability take a back seat to who NEEDS the playing time.

:)i take a look at the fixture list and plan ahead,with a squad of 25,i use complete rotation and try and keep my first11 for the important game 100%fit,fittness is the most important thing for me,i've found if i started with a striker only 85/90% when he gets a chance he'll hit the post more often than not,in my last save i was in the Prem had some fixture congestion(3/4 games in a week?) twice,planned ahead and played my youth team,ist time it was against the bottom club(QPR)they had a player sent off,i got the winner in the last minute won 2-1 lol,2nd time it worked out i had to play Spurs,my team got mauled really but they could only score 2,we got a consilation goal in the last minute,i was very proud lol,,,you need to plan ahead:)

I have a 23 man squad with 2 people in every position and 1 versatility player.

I have a best 11 and a backup 11. Best 11 gets all the league games, backup 11 gets the cup games. If someone is injured, then the other person who plays in that position fills in or the versatility player.

I pay no attention to fitness (as long as they are able to be picked), form or morale.

Archived