Idea for fm13

I think in 2013 if your owner wants to sell the club, you should get to see a list of owners looking to buy clubs and maybe ask them if there intrested in your club.

Also it would be good to get more rumors that a owner may look to buy a club in your country ect. Also i'd like to see a thing where you get a news report of every takeover in the leagues you have playable.

Also not to be an owner of a club, but i'd like the opinion that if you've managed for say 10 seasons in the game that you can then become part of takeover bid of a club and be on its board as a director ect. Rather than as a owner like many people want to see.

How often does a manager get involved in the selection of a buyer? Even people with unprecedented power, like Wenger and Fergie, don't have that kind of say in their clubs.

How often does a manager get involved in the selection of a buyer? Even people with unprecedented power, like Wenger and Fergie, don't have that kind of say in their clubs.

Fair point but would you like an option where a guy could approach you if decide to retire as a manager, where he can offer you the chance to be part of his takeover bid of a club.

we see this in real life managers later in there carreers taking board roles.

Would anyone like this in the game a chance to be part of a persons bid to buy a club? You'd be like a director and more or less run the club having mettings with the owner to disguss budgets for the manager ect.

also trying to get targets your manager wants ect. only diffrence is you watch the matchs and its al that controls it.

this gets raised almost every year by someone and generally gets the same response. Not many for it

Wrong its the owner idea that gets raised my idea is not about being an owner. Its about getting a place on the board like some real life managers have done at some clubs.

what is wrong with being part of a takeover bid? you still play the game as normal with a few changes. One being you can hire and fire the manager and the al plays the matches.

Wrong its the owner idea that gets raised my idea is not about being an owner. Its about getting a place on the board like some real life managers have done at some clubs.

what is wrong with being part of a takeover bid? you still play the game as normal with a few changes. One being you can hire and fire the manager and the al plays the matches.

Not sure how that's any different to the other club owner ideas.

so essentially you are suggesting playing football manager without managing a football team?

Just my personal opinion that its not an idea I personally would have any interest in. If you really think about it, what would you do every day in the game?

so essentially you are suggesting playing football manager without managing a football team?

Just my personal opinion that its not an idea I personally would have any interest in. If you really think about it, what would you do every day in the game?

Of cpuse you be a manager but if your out of work after about 10 seasons, or decide to retire as a manager ytou could be approched as part of a takeover bid.

Of couse you be a manager but if your out of work after about 10 seasons, or decide to retire as a manager you could be approched as part of a takeover bid.

You'd do everything you do now accept when you watch the matches there controled by the team and the players you need to sign are who the manager wants.

Not sure how that's any different to the other club owner ideas.

It is because its part of your carrer as a manager if your out of work after a number of seasons you may be asked to be part of a takeover bid.

it happens with managers in real life.

Just to make this clear the game is called Football Manager, not Director of Football or Football Club Tycoon.

Much like buying cars, houses & dealing with a family or setting the price of burgers IMO this is always up there as the worst direction SI could ever possibly go in, all this fluff & extra nonsense is supplied by a rather poor selling competitor if it is something that really interests you.

it basically would be a game within a game. You are saying you would do that same thing the manager does everyday, but you would be a director and choose the tactics or subs etc

Like I said a few days ago, these posts always end up the same, you are one of an extremely small number that think this type of thing is remotely interesting.

Not having a go, its just a really poor idea in my opinion.

But you are entitled to yours

Just to make this clear the game is called Football Manager, not Director of Football or Football Club Tycoon.

Much like buying cars, houses & dealing with a family or setting the price of burgers IMO this is always up there as the worst direction SI could ever possibly go in, all this fluff & extra nonsense is supplied by a rather poor selling competitor if it is something that really interests you.

How is it nosence managers some of them become board members in real life.

it basically would be a game within a game. You are saying you would do that same thing the manager does everyday, but you would be a director and choose the tactics or subs etc

Like I said a few days ago, these posts always end up the same, you are one of an extremely small number that think this type of thing is remotely interesting.

Not having a go, its just a really poor idea in my opinion.

But you are entitled to yours

Well a poor idera yet it happens in real life? fm moves foward getting more real each year why is not having a manager get on a clubs board so bad? Of course you'd not pick the tactics the manager would. It could work whys the harm in putting it in at least 1 year to try it out? given that it happens in real life.

How is it nosence managers some of them become board members in real life.

You're probably thinking about the few instances of managers becoming honorary board members, it's purely symbolic with no decision making powers.

I'm struggling to come up with a single example other than Der Kaiser where a former manager has assumed a key boardroom position

Well a poor idera yet it happens in real life? fm moves foward getting more real each year why is not having a manager get on a clubs board so bad? Of course you'd not pick the tactics the manager would. It could work whys the harm in putting it in at least 1 year to try it out? given that it happens in real life.

Mainly because of the time it would take to implement it 'to try it out' when 99% of the people don't want it.

to try add some weight to it, make a list of what you would do day to day?

Mainly because of the time it would take to implement it 'to try it out' when 99% of the people don't want it.

to try add some weight to it, make a list of what you would do day to day?

Well its like an extra role in the game its not like they'd need to be forced to become part of a board.

You're probably thinking about the few instances of managers becoming honorary board members, it's purely symbolic with no decision making powers.

I'm struggling to come up with a single example other than Der Kaiser where a former manager has assumed a key boardroom position

Yea but thats the thing in the game only a human control manager could be approached to be part of someones takeover bid, souness was linked with a board role at rangers last month as part of brian kennadys attempt to buy the club.

Its worth a try putting it in, if you get to about 20 seasons in the game and might fancy a new role.

again

What would you do day to day?

As a manager you can

Change you match preperations

Change training schedules

Scout players

Bid for players

Renew contracts

Adjust tactics

Call team meetings

and a few more things

What would you do as a director day to day?

You talked about seeting transfer budgets etc, well you do that once a year, same with wages. I really do not think there is enough to do in the game to have a director role added. Most get bored with international managment as you don't do alot when you don't have a game, you would be doing more as an international manager than a director in this game as far as I can see.

As said, you can do the things you want to do in one of the other games, its not a coincidence that noone buys it

I am not having a go at your idea, just seeing if you have thought through how it would work.

again

What would you do day to day?

As a manager you can

Change you match preperations

Change training schedules

Scout players

Bid for players

Renew contracts

Adjust tactics

Call team meetings

and a few more things

What would you do as a director day to day?

You talked about seeting transfer budgets etc, well you do that once a year, same with wages. I really do not think there is enough to do in the game to have a director role added. Most get bored with international managment as you don't do alot when you don't have a game, you would be doing more as an international manager than a director in this game as far as I can see.

As said, you can do the things you want to do in one of the other games, its not a coincidence that noone buys it

I am not having a go at your idea, just seeing if you have thought through how it would work.

Well you'd do some of they things yet they'd be changed abit, in real life its the board that go over contracts anyway. The manager could tell me a player he wants on a new contract and i'd sort it out. The manager would deal with training and tactics,scouting it would not be like international football.

For one you'd get to watch the matches accept controled by the manager, on bidding for players the manager would send you a list and you decide how many of they he can get and try to get them its simple. Its an idea that could work there still be alot to do in the game as there is being a manager. You become the link between the manager and the owner dealing with requests he has ect.

I get there seems little to do but there is enough the fact you still watch the matches is something to, of course you'd be at your busyiest in the summer when it comes to getting players ect.

As La Furia Roja (preferred Aussieant32 but hey ho) said there would be hardly anything for you to do as a director on a day to day basis. On the point if contract renewals I don't know about you but I generally have the players who I want are already on long contracts and as such don't need to have them renewed that often.

The game is great for the fact that it's called Football Manager and not Football Director and as such the idea won't work as I don't know about you but I actually like having to make my changes etc during a match and not just watching it.

probably the best suggestion I heard many years ago when someone else wanted to be a director was that if SI ever thought it was a good idea it could be downloaded as a mini game etc. It would require a whole seperate system to run as you take resposibilities away from the manager now to give them to the director. But even then that idea was pretty well thrown out.

And sorry about my name, I changed it as one particular member kept picking me up on my grammer whenever I posted, as I am spanish english is my 2nd language and I try my best but the name made it sound like I was from Australia so I should be fluent in english. I just wanted to be able to post without the hassle as I think people are a bit more forgiving if you are not speaking you native language :)

probably the best suggestion I heard many years ago when someone else wanted to be a director was that if SI ever thought it was a good idea it could be downloaded as a mini game etc. It would require a whole seperate system to run as you take resposibilities away from the manager now to give them to the director. But even then that idea was pretty well thrown out.

And sorry about my name, I changed it as one particular member kept picking me up on my grammer whenever I posted, as I am spanish english is my 2nd language and I try my best but the name made it sound like I was from Australia so I should be fluent in english. I just wanted to be able to post without the hassle as I think people are a bit more forgiving if you are not speaking you native language :)

Oh ok well its worth a shoit i'm sure the makers of the game would make a good job, of having the role play a big part in the whole season.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 have a director mode on their game. You set the transfer budget, hire the manager, handle contracts, buy players the manager wants you to buy or buy them yourself. Its fun for about a day or so.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 have a director mode on their game. You set the transfer budget, hire the manager, handle contracts, buy players the manager wants you to buy or buy them yourself. Its fun for about a day or so.

Is this true?

Is this true?

It is, although I've only glanced at the mode, as it's one of those novelty things I know I'll get bored with pretty quickly. I buy PES to play football, and I buy FM to manage. If I wanted to be a director I wouldn't buy either.

This guy is right. I think you should be able to speak to owners and see where they want to take the club. There should be more interaction for sure, look at QPR. Also I support Reading and McDermot has said himself that he spoke to the new owners and had a lengthly chat. Fair enough some owners dont get involved too much but others do, maybe depending on the owner at your club determines how much he interactes with you ? I would love it if football manager added in simple little features like this because it would deffinalty make it more realistic and that is what the game is about

i really have no idea why anyone would want this in the game.

yes, managers have retired and taken board jobs in real life, but i would bet that 99.9% of people wouldnt be interested with being a board member and of 0.1%, only you (the op) would actually enjoy it.

i'm all for people having idea's to make the MANAGER better, but this board scenario is just not what this game well ever be about!

This idea is going nowhere. Why would anyone want to play as a board member with minor bit-part jobs, when they can manage the whole club. I don't get it.

As many have said, this is Football Manager and not Football Director. A lot of people already complain about all the vast amounts of things in this game, so they definately wouldn't go for an idea like this and despite you wanting it to happen, SI wouldn't listen to 1 person in every 20 people for instance, to impliment an idea. Being a director has nothing to do with this game.

However, interaction between Chairman and Manager could be implimented when looking for a new job. This way you can get an insight on what sort of Chairman they are (They have their hidden stats).

Let's not use the name of the software to discount what the software could do in the future. Gmail, say, does a lot more than just email.

I think there's a compelling reason for board activities to be included in the game. Imagine having full control over finances and training facilities, and being able to ignore those pesky board staff limits. Imagine never getting your best players sold under your nose by your chairman as it is "the bid was too good to refuse".

I think we really play the series because we feel in control of our club's destiny, not because we are football managers. Giving users more control could therefore easily be a very good feature. And no, the game doesn't have to be renamed because of it.

If you add a boardroom aspect to the game then you must be subject to the same ups & down of running a club or being a DofF.

I can see the cries of foul play when you're ousted by other board members for running up a huge debt liability, lose control of the club following a hostile takeover if you are running a Plc, lose the bi-annual club elections for no reason other than the other guy promising to earth even if he cannot deliver or getting sacked because the world class manager the owner has just hired only signed his contract on the proviso that they remove the director of football position.

Always has been & always will be a non-starter.

i really have no idea why anyone would want this in the game.

yes, managers have retired and taken board jobs in real life, but i would bet that 99.9% of people wouldnt be interested with being a board member and of 0.1%, only you (the op) would actually enjoy it.

i'm all for people having idea's to make the MANAGER better, but this board scenario is just not what this game well ever be about!

It was just an idea snce its a role in real life, noone would need to accept a board role in there game of course. But it would be something diffrent doing everything you do now in the game apart from controling the matches and picking the team. Features would be added in it that kept you busy all season round.

If you add a boardroom aspect to the game then you must be subject to the same ups & down of running a club or being a DofF.

Not always. Maybe we can just add the good bits, because it's the most fun.

I can see the cries of foul play when you're ousted by other board members for running up a huge debt liability,

No different to you getting fired as a manager because you've put the club £400m in the red.

lose control of the club following a hostile takeover if you are running a Plc,

No different to you getting fired as a manager after a takeover.

lose the bi-annual club elections for no reason other than the other guy promising to earth even if he cannot deliver or getting sacked because the world class manager the owner has just hired only signed his contract on the proviso that they remove the director of football position.

Some Directors of Football are involved in signing managers, so for these, it would be like turkies voting for Christmas.

For those that are not involved, I think this will add to the gameplay experience, where you have a set of responsibilities (that may or may not include responsibilities typically designated to a manager), but the board wishes to hire someone whose responsibility "desires" overlap yours. Usually what will happen is the board will have to renegotiate your contract terms.

However, I think this should also happen on the flip-side, where the board decides you are rubbish at managing money so hires a DoF to take care of the finances and transfers.

I think the answer is more responsibility-based management where if you fail on a particular objective then you can expect to be replaced in that area (whether it is a new hire or not is a different story). If you have tons of responsibilities, then it just means you have to be pretty good at your job.

So I don't see this as a non-starter idea in a lot of ways. Giving a user more responsibility is essentially giving them more ways to shoot themselves in the foot. But on the flip-side, giving a user more responsibility might solve the frustration of some users whose board refuses to use that £500m bank balance in upgrading their training facilities or sells the next Messi because they can't see talent unlike your scouts.

In a lot of ways, it's like expanding the confidence feature and allowing each manager/DoF/hybrid to have different numbers of things on the confidence feature. If you fail in one objective, the board might not be happy and will consider hiring someone to either replace you or replace that objective. Adding that "I don't trust you" or "I trust you" dynamic, to me, will make things a lot more interesting while opening the door for users to really take control of their beloved club.

I agree with clubs having an active director of football should they choose to go down that route or if it's the norm in a particular country, what I'm not keen on is for that position to be open to the player.

Having seen this subject crop up every now & then the main theme seems to be based upon people not being happy that their board said no to a request or sold 'this' player over their head, I imagine many of the people asking for more boardroom involvement are just after another in-game tool that makes their job as manager easier.

(this is just my opinion & obviously does not reflect the sole reason behind each & every user requesting a club owner/DofF option)

I agree with clubs having an active director of football should they choose to go down that route or if it's the norm in a particular country, what I'm not keen on is for that position to be open to the player.

Having seen this subject crop up every now & then the main theme seems to be based upon people not being happy that their board said no to a request or sold 'this' player over their head, I imagine many of the people asking for more boardroom involvement are just after another in-game tool that makes their job as manager easier.

It might make it easier. It also might make it harder if you are rubbish at that particular area.

More importantly, I think it adds to the gameplay experience.

Sometimes people think they are better than the AI. I think we should let people try to prove it.

I really do not think people have thought the idea through, does anyone appreciate the mundane nature of owing a football club?

Ignoring the fact that a number of separate roles will have to be combined into one imaginary position just to create some element of control how often can you negotiate sponsorship deals, set ticket prices, re-negotiate contracts, refinance any debt, set performance expectations, put in place plans for facility upgrades?

Think I mentioned everything & it strikes me as very little return for whatever amount of time would be needed to programme a realistic & more importantly stable feature that will be ignored by most FM'ers.

It was just an idea snce its a role in real life, noone would need to accept a board role in there game of course. But it would be something diffrent doing everything you do now in the game apart from controling the matches and picking the team. Features would be added in it that kept you busy all season round.

and 99.9% of us would still not want it! just saying, there are other areas of the game to look at to still try and perfect the manager aspect

I really do not think people have thought the idea through, does anyone appreciate the mundane nature of owing a football club?

Ignoring the fact that a number of separate roles will have to be combined into one imaginary position just to create some element of control how often can you negotiate sponsorship deals, set ticket prices, re-negotiate contracts, refinance any debt, set performance expectations, put in place plans for facility upgrades?

Think I mentioned everything & it strikes me as very little return for whatever amount of time would be needed to programme a realistic & more importantly stable feature that will be ignored by most FM'ers.

I don't think people have thought through a chairman's role properly, but I certainly think that some roles traditionally left to C-level executives (i.e. finances) certainly have merit.

It's Football Manager! To ask FM to work on creating some sort of pseudo Board Member role is totally unrealistic & a massive waste of time for the enjoyment return and potential useage. We want FM to put their efforts into improvements and into ironing out some real problems that exist in the proper "management" game we all bought.

Forget this twee boardroom stuff!

It's Football Manager! To ask FM to work on creating some sort of pseudo Board Member role is totally unrealistic & a massive waste of time for the enjoyment return and potential useage. We want FM to put their efforts into improvements and into ironing out some real problems that exist in the proper "management" game we all bought.

Forget this twee boardroom stuff!

Why should the game's name restrict what the game can actually do?

The game is the important bit and it's funny to essentially say that the game's name needs to be changed before a specific feature can be implemented.

Leave the "brand management" to SI.

Personally, I think managing finances and not having players sold under my nose would make the game more fun. I play this game because I feel in control of my team, not because I'm a football manager (who just happens to hold most of the "footballing power").

The name doesn't restrict it but the genre does & this is not a [insert industry] Tycoon game, it is & always has been about simulating the trials & tribulations of managing a football team, not those of being the finance director, the corporate retail manager or any other suit & tie job within the football world.

As for a director of football role that is merely doing everything we have the ability to do now less a few areas that could be solved with the inclusion of a sim match option or a head coach who is responsible for handling the matchday routine, training schedules & press conferences.

A DoF sometimes does more, like control finances to a certain degree, or managing external club relationships and affiliations, or marketing, or stadium development. Think of it as not introducing a new "person" in the picture but a new set of roles (that you perhaps "earn" or "demand", or even "relinquish") that a "manager" can now control.

The game might "[have] & always has been about simulating the trials & tribulations of managing a football team", but it does not have to always be that way in the future. It's not a Tycoon game but I don't see why certain aspects can't be included.

"Football management" can loosely be extended to incorporate any form of "management" of the overall football club. A CEO is effectively a "football management" person who controls everything and reports to the chairman (if they are different people). So including more responsibilities could well be viable from a brand perspective.

Some people get annoyed with what they perceive as rubbish financial management, or players being sold without their permission. Giving them those responsibilities might well be fun for them, but provide them with the more ways to shoot themselves in the foot. Some people want to be able to choose the name of their new stadium. Some want to control how their stadium develops over time. Some even want to design their own stadium.

I personally get a sense of achievement when I manage a club to success and it feels like pretty much all my own work. But there are "synergies" that I could theoretically exploit if I could work with (or "become") a higher-level figure like a C-level executive with my footballing responsibilities. i.e. "Don't invest in a new stadium now, we need to rebuild the squad" or "Build a new stadium - I'm not going to make any large investments in players for a decade".

Would it be fun? I think it would be, in the spirit of "Football CEO" or "Control a club's ultimate destiny".

Archived