I'm just wondering if some people avoid assigning players with #13 jersey? I've never, ever assign a player this number (except of course for international squad since the numbers given matches the squad). I'm not particularly superstitious but for some reason I do when it comes to sports jersey... don't know why :p

Or if you have other never-do sport superstition feel free to share it here!

I do use the number 13 and generally give it to my best backup fullback, but I tend to not use the number 12 for the 12th man stuff. Its kind of weird though with 13, its considered both unlucky in some countries and lucky in others right?

I do use the number 13 and generally give it to my best backup fullback, but I tend to not use the number 12 for the 12th man stuff. Its kind of weird though with 13, its considered both unlucky in some countries and lucky in others right?

Yeah it is considered both depend on the countries, weird it is :)

what's the 12th man stuff btw? O.o

Yeah it is considered both depend on the countries, weird it is :)

12th man is the fans! :) eg. Millwall at home 'used' to have such a hardcore support at home making it somewhat of a fortress. The 12th man is the fans encouraging the players which on its day can be there difference in wanting a win ad achieving it.

The "12th man" has long been considered to be the teams fans who can lift the teams spirit and get them to keep on pushing, especially in times of adversity or potential glory.

For example, Rangers just yesterday retired the #12 jersey in honor of the fans who have supported the club through the recent months (and all the clubs history too i suppose), everything from packing out the stadium even though players where being told to take wage cuts, getting docked 10 points for admin, looking like the club was going to cease to exist etc. to raising a "fighting fund" that the fans have used to pay off some of the clubs debts to various companies and other clubs.

If I can (depends on national rules) I stick with ice hockey numbering convention for keepers (1, 30, 31, 35). I give #23 to my most creative player (Michael Jordan related) and leave #13 unassigned. I give #22 to a DMC, #33 to a left back, #16 & #21 to wingers and #18 and #28 to forwards. Always have, probably always will. .

slightly of topic i know. but correct me if im wrong, but dont most american hotels refuse to have a 13th floor for this reason?

Do they? Wouldn't know, and frankly that's just strange, bordering on ridiculous.

However I do know that footballers, barring the English, couldn't care less abut the number thirteen. Three examples would be Park Ji-Sung, Aleksandar Kolarov, and William Gallas.

dw, I'm weird like that

in football though there's certain numbers I'm more favored towards for positions, squad status etc i.e 23 is for my favourite player, 3 is a fullback, 9 is my poacher etc

however 13 is just a bit rubbish so i give it to players i don't care about

I quite like the number 13, I usally give it to the back up keeper. Incidentally my first choice keeper always wears 25. Number 1 is usually for the old guy, 3rd choice keeper mentor.

#1 GK

#2 RB

#3 CB

#4 Most defensively minded midfielder

#5 Right sided DC

#6 Left sided DC

#7 MR

#8 Most Attack minded midfielder

#9 S

#10 S

#11 ML

#12 DR