Have I just lost the league alphabetically?

The rules are: At the end of each season, the club with the most points is crowned champion. If points are equal, the goal difference and then goals scored determine the winner. Cant find what happens if it is still a tie but I suspect it will go to head to head results between the 2 teams, but that could be deemed to be a bit unfair due to the peculiarities of the split fixtures, giving one team an extra home game against the other.

The rules are: At the end of each season . . .

For some strange reason, and I could very well be mistaken, but in the situation as with the OP, I always thought that it went to games lost, if points and GD were equal. So given that Celtic lost fewer games than Hearts, Celtic are then the eventual winners

ok, it looks like it may be something that has been missed, unless I am misinterpreting the rules, this from The Rules of The Scottish Premier League. Effective 19 December 2011

A6.2.2 At the end of each Season (following completion of all League Matches) the Club scoring the highest number of points during that Season save in circumstances in which Rules A6.3 or A6.4 apply, in which case the higher placed Club, shall be declared the Champion Club of the League ("the Champion Club"). The Club scoring the lowest number of points during that Season save in circumstances in which Rules A6.3 or A6.4 apply in which case the lower placed Club, shall be declared the last placed Club and, subject to Rule A6.2.3 the other Clubs in the League shall be placed accordingly.

A6.2.3 The Clubs which form the top half of the League immediately after the 33rd League Match shall occupy the first six places in the League at the end of the Season and the Clubs which from the bottom half of the League, immediately after the 33rd League Match, shall occupy the bottom six places in the League at the end of each Season, and, in the event that any other provisions of the Rules is inconsistent with this Rule A6.2.3, or if any ambiguities are created thereby, this Rule shall take precedence.

A6.3 If any two or more Clubs are equal in points at the end of the Season, the higher placed Club shall be the Club with the larger or largest positive goal difference (or the lower or lowest negative goal difference where appropriate). Goal difference shall be determined by deducting the goals conceded from the goals scored in all League Matches played during the Season. In the event of the goal difference being equal, the higher placed Club shall be the Club, which has scored most goals in League Matches during the Season.

A6.4 If two or more Clubs have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals in the relevant Season and their positions in the League have a bearing on deciding which Club is the Champion Club or the relegation of any Club or qualification (or consideration for qualification) for any other competitions including UEFA Competitions, then the Clubs concerned shall play-off a deciding League Match on a date and at a neutral ground as determined by the Board in each case. Such deciding League Match shall be of 90 minutes duration with 30 minutes of extra time and kicks from the penalty mark if necessary.

So unless a playoff game is now scheduled it may be a bug, again if I have understood.

For some strange reason, and I could very well be mistaken, but in the situation as with the OP, I always thought that it went to games lost, if points and GD were equal. So given that Celtic lost fewer games than Hearts, Celtic are then the eventual winners

Never heard of that as a tie breaker to be honest, but it looks like La Furia Roja has found the answer- a play off at a neutral ground is a fair compromise.- not sure if it is the game though.

In the league rules page it just says its sorted by goal difference and goals scored and the game has already crowned Celtic as champions. Pretty annoyed really as I conceded some stupid goals which could of made the difference. Maybe I should suggest a name change to AEK Hearts or something. My head to head was actually in my favor as well by a goal. Still, bring on the Champions League!!!!

Archived