Players missing loads of headers

Might be mistaken, but it seems to me since the latest patch that players miss approximately 90% of decent headed chances... perhaps with the exception of counter-attacking crosses to the far post.

I can't count how many times over three seasons my players have headed it barely over or against the woodwork. Some of them have really high heading jumping attributes etc and weren't under too much pressure (although any pressure at all seems enough to put them off) Anyone else finding this?

In general I've found it very difficult ever since FM09 to score goals from open play with headers -I remember on FM07 & 08 target men were beastly- but now I can't even seem to score them corners. It's very dispiriting to watch four-six missed headed chances in a row. Even those that do hit the target seem to inevitably hit the keeper :(

Additionally there seems to be a problem with players too frequently attempting weak looping headers when they have time and space to a) chest it down, b) volley or c) knock it to a teammate in space.

*Ahem* Sorry for the double post but a couple more things came to mind:

1) Players attacking the near post at corners are very poor at guiding the ball towards goal. They usually prefer to nod it back to the corner taker.

2) Interestingly, the match engine seems to realize my players aren't scoring headers when they should. It keeps telling me my players should have scored!

---

I accept the possibility that it's my tactics, but considering how much I experiment, tinker and switch tactics, I highly doubt it. I don't see how it could be frankly. The headers my players are missing are usually gilt-edged chances where all the player has to do is nod it on target. In all other departments my players are lethal in front of goal, and I get more than my fair share of last-gasp winners! It's just headers that are the issue for my team.

Headers are terrible full stop. All headers from corners now just go over the bar. Once in a blue moon a header comes back across the area but it's a rarity. Crossing and heading to be fair is poor in FM it's as if the balance can't be found in scoring too many or too few so too few seems to be the way to go. It's a well known coaching teqnique to coach players to head "down" but no chance of that in FM!!!

Archived