Getting sacked?!

Hand on heart - i have never been sacked in Football Manager so have no idea what signs to look out for...

Anyway, i was told at the beginning of the season that they want me to win the league - we are currently in November and i am sitting in 8th, i don't think they are happy.

Thing is, i am trying to build a squad for the future so giving alot of youngsters a chance but i am worried that if i don't win the league i will be sacked....what warning signs should i look out for, and are you almost always sacked if you don't meet the chairman's expectations?

Have a look at your confidence page and see what your overall percentage is, if lower than 50% you should be careful, but you don't always get a warning.

I've been sacked on old versions, but always unfairly of course ;). This one time (at band camp) I was managing Tranmere Rovers and with a little hard work I got them from League 1 up to the Premier League in 6 seasons on a shoestring budget. First year in the top flight was always going to be tough and by Christmas I was in the relegation zone, so they sacked me. A little harsh, considering my achievements with the club.

Last year in a hotseat game with 2 friends I was managing Liverpool, they had the 2 Manchesters. First season I finished 4th, not too bad. About 8 games into the second season and I am sat in 5th after a difficult early fixture list but winning all my Champs League games, going into a big game against my friend's Man Utd. My board confidence had just shown up at the start of the month and they were satisfied at this point. I was losing 2-1 to United with about 20 minutes left so I tried to go attacking and salvage something, but I ended up getting hammered 6-1 and I got sacked immediately. Now I appreciate it's not good to get beaten heavily by my rivals, but my league season was going ok and there was no prior warning and I'd been doing a good job considering the financial constraints at the time.

I was fuming, but got myself a job at Leicester, struggling in the Championship, got them into the PL 18 months later and my first PL match was away to Liverpool, I beat them 2-0. Very smug after that, nothing more satisfying than getting your own back.

A very impatient board can be a doom for you, especially if you think you're doing okay. Was managing Kaiserslautern and was sitting second in the 2. Bundesliga, poised for automatic promotion. But was fired because I wasn't sitting first. I didn't get any warnings over that either, and last time I checked the board was satisfied. It was the first time in FM that I'd ever been sacked.

Needless to say I was offered the post at 1860 Munich who were doing poorly; I managed to do enough to steal away Kaiserslautern's promotion hopes by taking second for myself. Revenge is sweet.

Archived