Which position best suits this players attributes?

So I've found this gem playing in the Argentinian league. He looks like a sure-fire future World Player of the Year! The only problem is his attributes are a bit mis-mashed in some key positions.

As you can see from the screenie below, he can play AML or as a striker.

AML - Pros; dribbling, passing, stamina, technique, balance. Cons; crossing, pace and acceleration, off the ball movement.

Striker - Pros; finishing, heading, jumping, strength, technique. Cons; composure, pace and acceleration, off the ball.

I was thinking of retraining him as a CM because of his great passing, although his long range shooting isn't great either so that could be a problem.

Any advice recommended as I'm really stuck as what to do with him. :thup:

16kljo.jpg

Yes he isn't a left winger or a poacher/attacking forward.

I would use him as either:

A) Supporting forward (Target man, complete or deep lying).

or

B) AMC with attacking instructions.

Not sure about AMC with some of those attributes. He wouldn't get into the first team as of now anyway as my front 6 is..

------------M'Vila--------Bainano (regen)------------

Pjanic-------------Messi-------------------Hazard

-----------------Rooney--------------------

Managed to get Messi on a free so was rude not to. Shame he's 29!

A) Supporting forward (Target man, complete or deep lying).

I'd go with that. The player seems particularly suited to a target man or deep lying forward role.

Added bonus is that he also has positional ability as a striker, which if "natural", is even better. If "accomplished", then that's fine too and may not take much positional training to get him to "natural". He could even develop that simply from playing in that position, without additional training required. Don't forget, any positional training eats into the distribution of his potential ability. Using him in a striker position that he already has, will see the points go towards attributes, rather than trying to get him to learn a completely new position with any level of competence.

I'd go with that. The player seems particularly suited to a target man or deep lying forward role.

Added bonus is that he also has positional ability as a striker, which if "natural", is even better. If "accomplished", then that's fine too and may not take much positional training to get him to "natural". He could even develop that simply from playing in that position, without additional training required. Don't forget, any positional training eats into the distribution of his potential ability. Using him in a striker position that he already has, will see the points go towards attributes, rather than trying to get him to learn a completely new position with any level of competence.

That's a good point. And yeah, he can play both AML and Striker naturally. Might have found my Rooney replacement then

Having a player with attributes well suited to being a deep lying forward and a target man, gives you plenty of good attacking options. :)

Sometimes looking at face value, we try to think of alternative options, when in fact, that player you have there is very well suited to a couple of roles he's already positionally suited for. :thup:

Target man for me. ideally id like higher aggression, bravery and work rate in a target man but his excellent passing and decisions makes up for that. As op mentioned work on his Composure and Off the ball and even if all his other attributes stayed the same he would still be a top flight player.

I'd retrain him to central midfielder and use him as a deep lying playmaker. Individual focus on first touch until he reaches 15 or 16, and emphasis on tactics on his training schedule. After this, you should consider upping his attacking training somewhat so that he can get a higher creativity stat.

The reason why he's good as a deep lying playmaker: Passing, anticipation and decisions are all extremely high for an 18 year old, and these alone can make him dominate the midfield. Having high strength and balance adds to this of course, and he can win high balls due to heading/jumping, and he's a decent tackler as well. As a pure ball distributor, acceleration and pace isn't that important (set forward runs to rarely, run with ball rarely or sometimes).

He's too slow to be a striker, and his off the ball, composure are fairly weak as well. Additionally, he's not aggressive nor brave enough to be a truly effective target man.

Another reason why CM is the best choice: There are a ton of great newgen strikers popping up all the time (especially from Argentina, Brasil), but finding a midfield boss is more difficult. This guy will become a world class central midfielder if given time.

I'd probably retrain him as a central midfielder, but that's just because I like height in midfield. To be a world class player there he would need to increase his creativity, first touch, composure and positioning/off the ball, however. Most of those can be trained up with training focus though, so it shouldn't be a problem turning him into a great midfielder.

Archived