Will SI finally fix the B team/Assistant Manager Role?

After many editions of this game, I am wondering if SI will finally realease a version of the game that makes the B teams work exactly as they are meant to. The best high profile example of this is the latest Barcelona situation, Guardiola, a former Barcelona B Manager, is now stepping down from the role and his replacement will be his Assistant at the club.

How many times does this happen in any FM game?

There should be a way where once you take the B team job and gain some success, you are considered for the top job. I would love to handle a couple of years grafting it at the B team with the knowledge that I would at least have a chance of being offered the top job. Also, if I left, then why can't my Assistant take on the role? I have not even seen many caretaker managers be offered the role for longer than a week in FM.

Also, this would fix the finances issue with B teams, since they would be accounted for by the first team. I know the coding issue is likely vast but this problem has been present for over 6 years, surely, someone has managed to work on it since then?

Surely to match the modern game and every possible scenario found in the world of football, there needs to be a change to the current model and make B teams and Assistant Managers all that more important than they actually are in-game.

That said, he usually always leaves to take the Spain job, on my saves. But a couple of times, I did see Tito Vilanova get the job.

I've also seen B team or assistant managers get the top job at clubs with fair regularity too. So it does happen. I'd say the balance and chances of what you're suggesting should happen, already does.

Can't say when it comes to actually playing as a B team manager though, regarding being offered the first team job, as I never play as B teams.

I think the problem with not being promoted from the B team to the main team is the reputation issue. I think the managers of B teams are seen as managing a lower league club and therefore would never be considered. It's unfortunate for those who do want to go down that path.

@heathxxx, thanks but that doesn't mean he gets it. Everytime there's a job going, the playing manager nearly always gets mentioned even if he has no hope in hell of getting the job.

It's also a matter of the main Manager having a say over the B team manager, you cannot replace the B team Manager even if you want to, it's an external decision and if you send players to the B team they don't get trained properly which is not the case with a Reserve team. It SHOULD be the same. The B team is in essence the Reserve team. Yes, they play their own league, promotion/relegation but the coaching is all managed from above, including the manager and training. In FM, this is impossible and has been for years. Surely, it can be fixed.

Also as mentioned, you can't work your way from the bottom up. If you took on a C team, a little difficult, I admit but say you did, the obvious would be B team then Main team, in FM this is impossible, you simply have no hope of ever achieving this. That IS wrong and should now be fixed. It's been too long, surely there has been someone working on this within SI. I mean, yes, complicated coding and binary issues but surely, 6 years on, there should be some progress.

I love FM but feel that failure to fix this has restricted the game, it would make FM unique if some system was implemented imo.

I did mention, as did others, that with reasonable regularity, we've seen assistants or B team managers promoted to the main job at their clubs.

That said, I do agree that there could be better control for us with the associated B teams. I won't argue with that, nor that it's obviously extremely difficult if you're managing a B side, to get the first team job.

Thank you heathxxx, that is what I was trying to say.

I would love to start as a B team Manager and have the opportunity to be offered the top job or an alternative top job. I mean Luis Enrique was at Barcelona B and he landed the Roma job, with lots of money to spend. How often does that happen IRL?

And his replacement at Barcelona B was chosen with the aid of the First team manager since he was a friend of Guardiola. Is this even possible in FM?

After such a long time, these issues should now be fixed. It's a bit ridiculous to promote the game as the "Greatest" Football Management game when you still can't even do these IRL basic things.

Archived