Possible to use a different countries style of play and succeed?(peoples opinions wanted)

Well the question is, is it possible to use a different countries style of play, in a different county and succeed.

For an example oh what i mean, I have just managed in Barcelona for 2 seasons, playing a varying tempo 4-3-3 to great affect. Now I have moved to Man City for a season(maybe 2) And wondering if this same varying tempo 4-3-3 will work as long as I have the players to fit it.

So has anyone done anything similar before and take a tactic typically from one country and used it in another.

Its certainly possible but what you need to consider is the formation/tactics that other teams are using in a league.

Every formation has strong points & weak points.

For example in Italy narrow formations are common place and trying to take an English 442 there is difficult as you get outnumbered in midfield which means you normally have to use a narrow tactic yourself.

You also need to be aware that over time formations change partly due to change of manager and partly due to teams looking for a way to gain an upperhand.

If you stay in a league long enough 10+ seasons you will see shapes alter over time.

Archived