Are academy youth products more loyal?

After signing an Argentinian for £15m only to have him claim homesickness twice in his first 4 months at the club, I have decided to ignore the lure of signing players in exchange for trying to nurture my own. It's 10x cheaper. I don't have any competition for signatures. They tend to be English and therefore not homesick.

However, the main reason is that youth products in real life tend to be more loyal. Is this the same in game?! Because if i am going to devote match time and attention to detail to my academy, then i expect they will remain loyal and let me keep them in their prime. I can only imagine how pissed off Wenger must have been when he took a penniless unknown Spaniard named Fabregas, turned him into a World great only to have him leave before he hit his prime. Same sympathy for Ferguson regarding Ronaldo.

I'm not willing to turn a player from a nobody into a football legend just to have him leave me for United, Madrid or Barca when he is near or in his prime.

Sorry, i forgot to add the quick question:

Does this also work if you sign a youth player from another club? For example i recruited a 16 year old from Barca onto a youth contract with me. Will he be loyal to me or will he just do a Fabregas and want to go back there again? I believe Barca is in his favored clubs.

Sorry, i forgot to add the quick question:

Does this also work if you sign a youth player from another club? For example i recruited a 16 year old from Barca onto a youth contract with me. Will he be loyal to me or will he just do a Fabregas and want to go back there again? I believe Barca is in his favored clubs.

I've had this a couple of times, but not that frequent. Generally the youth products that come through my youth ranks will stay with me (apart from a few exceptions if they annoy me). I have also brought in a 15 year old from some crappy French team, and basically when he turned 25 wanted to leave and eventually went back to that crappy team.

I've had this a couple of times, but not that frequent. Generally the youth products that come through my youth ranks will stay with me (apart from a few exceptions if they annoy me). I have also brought in a 15 year old from some crappy French team, and basically when he turned 25 wanted to leave and eventually went back to that crappy team.

Oh man. What happened? Did he get homesick?

Oh man. What happened? Did he get homesick?

He was one of those players who after a while has enough of the club/league and wants to leave. Sold him for a hefty profit (bought him for £6k, sold for £15 mil). 3 years later, he turned into one of those players that just rotted in the reserves in that said team.

After signing an Argentinian for £15m only to have him claim homesickness twice in his first 4 months at the club, I have decided to ignore the lure of signing players in exchange for trying to nurture my own. It's 10x cheaper. I don't have any competition for signatures. They tend to be English and therefore not homesick.

However, the main reason is that youth products in real life tend to be more loyal. Is this the same in game?! Because if i am going to devote match time and attention to detail to my academy, then i expect they will remain loyal and let me keep them in their prime. I can only imagine how pissed off Wenger must have been when he took a penniless unknown Spaniard named Fabregas, turned him into a World great only to have him leave before he hit his prime. Same sympathy for Ferguson regarding Ronaldo.

I'm not willing to turn a player from a nobody into a football legend just to have him leave me for United, Madrid or Barca when he is near or in his prime.

wayne rooney and ashley cole disagrees

I believe the answer is yes in terms of them generally being more loyal. But there are other factors too. I'd suggest though if your a relatively big club, and bring through a player and treat them well enough, I wouldn't have any worries of them wanting to leave. I find that home grown players tend to be good options for back-up players, as they don't tend to whinge at not being played often, and are it saves you a lot of money. Obviously there are exceptions, often in the case of ambitious players, ect.

wayne rooney and ashley cole disagrees

yeah obviously there are exceptions. But in general they tend to be more loyal or at least respect their clubs after they leave. and not many top English players leave England. Beckhams the only really high profile one i can think of.

Whilst I think academy players would probably be more loyal, it's hard to produce enough, if any, quality players from there so I prefer to shop abroad. You will get some who either get homesick or never quite fall in love with your club, but sometimes they do and can be incredibly loyal. In FM11 I only bought players under 18 and several of them became club legends, club captain, etc. whilst others didn't make the grade and were sold on without playing a game in 4 years.

So I would suggest trying to get the best of both - nurture the best academy players but also look for cheap talent abroad, as you may pick up some gems.

I have a horrible situation at the moment with my Borussia Dortmund career. My Club acptain is 26 and has been in the first team since he was 15. Dortmund are the biggest side in the world. But he want's a new challenge.

I really dont want him to go, but having your captain kicking off isnt the best thing for the morale of the club.

He is easily one of the best players I have ever got through any youth sytem on any version of the game. I am slightly tempted to move to another club, just so I can sign him!

yeah obviously there are exceptions. But in general they tend to be more loyal or at least respect their clubs after they leave. and not many top English players leave England. Beckhams the only really high profile one i can think of.

Think more! ;) In the modern era, Owen and Woodgate have also left England, as well as a lot of low-profile players.

Academy players are strictly no more or less loyal than other players. However, they are more likely to have the club they came through at as a favoured club, which will mean they will often prefer it to other clubs.

In terms of game mechanics, most (if not all) youth academy products has their parent club as a favored club (Likes Club at a 100 of a 100 possible). However, their loyalty mental attribute varies. The end product is that you get some players that are fiercely loyal (high loyalty attribute and favored club), and some that aren't (low loyalty attribute). I think the primary driver is the loyalty attribute, with the Favored Club part acting as a smaller positive modifier. Of course Ambition plays a part too: The player may be very loyal to you, but he is ambitious about his career and if you cannot fulfill that ambition you may still lose him.

Exactly. A good team is usually a couple stars in key positions (CB, CM or ST) with everyone else a solid role player. Homegrown players are great as either role players or back ups. Just think of buying a young LB for 2m. If you get his value up to 7.5m you have saved your club some 15-20m, because thats how much it would cost to buy such a LB from another club!

I believe the answer is yes in terms of them generally being more loyal. But there are other factors too. I'd suggest though if your a relatively big club, and bring through a player and treat them well enough, I wouldn't have any worries of them wanting to leave. I find that home grown players tend to be good options for back-up players, as they don't tend to whinge at not being played often, and are it saves you a lot of money. Obviously there are exceptions, often in the case of ambitious players, ect.

Think more! ;) In the modern era, Owen and Woodgate have also left England, as well as a lot of low-profile players.

Academy players are strictly no more or less loyal than other players. However, they are more likely to have the club they came through at as a favoured club, which will mean they will often prefer it to other clubs.

This has been true in my experience. A few academy players have the club listed as favoured but if your club`s ambition doesn`t meet thier level of talent they won`t hesitate to move.

In terms of game mechanics, most (if not all) youth academy products has their parent club as a favored club (Likes Club at a 100 of a 100 possible). However, their loyalty mental attribute varies. The end product is that you get some players that are fiercely loyal (high loyalty attribute and favored club), and some that aren't (low loyalty attribute). I think the primary driver is the loyalty attribute, with the Favored Club part acting as a smaller positive modifier. Of course Ambition plays a part too: The player may be very loyal to you, but he is ambitious about his career and if you cannot fulfill that ambition you may still lose him.

This, the loyalty of the player has nothing to do with whether or not he came out of your youth program but there's a (good) chance that he will like you/your club/one of your coaches and that does count toward him wanting to stay at the club

Every player has to come through some sort of academy don't they? So the theory that they would be more loyal than any other type of player is completly flawed, as in 20 or so years the whole game will be filled with 'academy players', and you'd like to think that there wouldn't be a pandemic of highly talented and overly loyal players just staying at their average clubs.

The obvious examples of 'loyal academy players' would be the Barca players, Scholes, Giggs, Terry.. but all these players are coming into top teams; with the example of Rooney being he wanted to move to a bigger and better club, and of Ashley Cole being that he wanted to win thophies, Fabregas and Pique left Barca because they weren't good enough at the time, for them only to return. So other factors will come into consideration, not just loyalty.

I can't imagine too many regens within the game of Rooney's ability would ever pass up the opportunity to move to a club of Man U's reputation in game.

So in my opinion, in answer to your question Are academy players more loyal, bluntly would be, NO.

How are english or brittish youth products more loyal in real life? the minute one makes a name for himself hes off to a better team.

Depends on the personality. If you stick with a club for yonks, they usually automatically have you and the club as favoured personnel. If their personality is loyal or professional I've usually kept them even when big teams come calling (playing in the lower leagues).

Obviously, I fight to keep all of them but if a player wants to leave, I'm not the kind to keep him back. They may as well be given the chance to go to greener pastures, but you should easily get several years out all of the ones that make the grade to be honest.

they may be more loyal, but it depends on a lot of things. if your a youth product from club perak, but your good enought to play in europe, your going to try and push for a move aren't you? a lot of players who play in Brazil move to europe quite young. loyalty doesn't mean they are going to stay with you through think-and-thin..

How are english or brittish youth products more loyal in real life? the minute one makes a name for himself hes off to a better team.

From that reaction, its seems like that might have hit a little bit close to home :D

I think it has to do with the player's personality and strength of your club. If you are a small club and the next Ronaldo comes through your academy, you are going to struggle a lot regardless of the player's personality as big clubs will constantly have an eye on him and the people around will be telling him to make the move. Not every player will be like Le Tissier.

Personalities are a very interesting dynamic in this game.

Wish they would stay but sadly they don't always. Had a player come through a youth set up with me, reached the first team, became captain and helped us become a big club which won trophies. Then one day out of the blue he asked me to leave and I had to sell him to Spurs.

Why would it hit close to home its just any english player at a smaller club, that has ablity to play for a bigger team moves.

its all the same the only diffrence is the likes of ronaldo dream of playng for real madrid, where as for a rooney it would have been a team like man utd.

Archived