3d engine partnership

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, and searching the threads for this is taking too long.

I'm wondering if SI has ever tried to partner with another company, or maybe even buy a good 3d engine? Maybe konami's PES series engine? It seems that a company like SI, not geared for graphics might be able to leverage more out of another company than trying to develop in house.

I love the game and all, but it would be nice to be able to see the skill of the players on the pitch a little more. I would love to transfer in a very skillful player and then seeing him dribble through a crowd and score.

I enjoy the management side of the game very much, but it would be so entertaining to be able to watch the matches or even match replays like they were on TV.

- IsidisP

Whole 3d craze is beyond me, would much rather see SI put out a much further progressive match engine, and other areas in the game than need drastic improvement; then mess around with cosmetics such as players doing silly skill moves.

Good points but I would say that a) You wouldn't have to throw out the current one or 2d engine, so PC requirements are not a problem, b) I'm not advocating the PES in particular I'm just saying there are pre-made 3d graphics engines out there (Unreal/Crytek/etc) that could be used, just apply current ai to better graphics engine, you could even record the animations yourself. Has to be less work to modify an engine than build one from scratch, c) I have no idea what kind of revenues SI makes, I assumed it is a pretty popular game considering it's the number 1 demo download on steam, I guess this is where my idea breaks down. Either way, if this game wants to have any kind of mass market appeal, it needs a better 3d engine. That's not to say that the already stellar game needs to be superseded, but growth requires ambition.

My real question though, is if they've ever tried to outsource the graphics engine (not the match engine by the way, two separate things).

There is no 3d craze, this is just how games are made nowadays, for good reason. It immerses the player more and creates a better connection, considering we live in a 3d world. SI is already putting a ton of work into the 3d engine, as evidenced by the existence of a 3d engine. Buying an already existing engine, or partnering with another company would decrease the amount of time that's already being spent on the 3d engine. The time savings could then be allocated to the match engine and other areas.

I'm not trying to start a debate here, I'm trying to get an answer to my question btw.

I would have agreed that SI should have considered subletting the 3d match engine 3-4 years ago, when they first introduced it - because it was a horrendous embarrassment, but they seem to have got their act together.

As long as they can keep the resources down then I think they are doing fine. No need for a partnership.

I would have agreed that SI should have considered subletting the 3d match engine 3-4 years ago, when they first introduced it - because it was a horrendous embarrassment, but they seem to have got their act together.

As long as they can keep the resources down then I think they are doing fine. No need for a partnership.

I dont think you have a clue what a real horrendous embarrassment is.

Archived