This DON'T make sense!

Midway through my 2nd season at Aston Villa I see the Newcastle managert has ended his reign to embark on a ne challenge with Chelsea. Only thing is though.....ITS ANDRE VILAS BOAS!!!

Please, please SI fix this utter rubbish.

May I also mention that Man City sacked Mancini and then appointed Arsene Wenger.

As a big time fan of FM, this is my favourite by some distance. It is, however, hampered by agents (general stupidity) and this sort of nonsense.

It's a game.

Andre Villas Boas managing Chelsea again is a bit more realistic than you managing Aston Villa (debatable I admit).

As for Man City sacking Mancini, this is something I think might happen in the summer; and it's not impossible that Wenger could take the job.

United are 6th in my current save and there's talk of Ferguson being sacked, insane if you ask me after 20 years of success and empire-building.

It's a game.

Andre Villas Boas managing Chelsea again is a bit more realistic than you managing Aston Villa (debatable I admit).

I don't know why people bring up the argument that it's unrealistic for you to be a football manager in reality and use it to justify other unlikely possibilities. This is the reason why it's a game! That's the point!

If someone posted a screenshot showing Heskey scoring 40 goals in a single match, you wouldn't say something like "Heskey scoring 40 goals in a single match is a bit more realistic than you managing Aston Villa..." to somewhat justify Heskey scoring 40 goals.

Two unrelated events with no common reason.

OP - how are Newcastle and Chelsea doing?

Could you use this exact argument to justify every single "bug"?

No you couldn't, but I didn't think this was a bug. I do agree however that it would a good addition to the game to disable AI managers returning to clubs they left due to managing them poorly.

No you couldn't, but I didn't think this was a bug.
By "bug" I mean "alleged bug" or "complaint".

I think it's a very weak argument to suggest that weird things happen in reality as a justification for weird things in-game. We should look for a plausible reason before falling back on a more unlikely reason.

If its just a game then why dont they put in skill levels & other such nonsense. People want it every way, realistic but also a game.

The OP is correct AVB going back to chelsea is rubbish. Maybe in 7 - 10yrs he may go back but not after 1 year. What has he achieved to warrant getting the Chelsea job?

Management musical chairs has been a problem in FM for a long time. It does need fixed, but I'm not sure how. Maybe clubs need to recognise the achievements the manager has done and the length he's been at the club.

The worst I saw was Thomas Schaaf getting sacked by Werder Bremen because he was mid-table. The bundesliga is extremely competitive and he's been at Werder for like....a hundred years.

When the AI needs to fill a Manager position, it doesn't care about Manager names or their history, it's all about reputation and coaching attribute ratings, probably more tilted towards rep. At least that's how I think it works. Really surprised this is your big gripe with the game given some of the more overt issues, such as long-term AI squad building.

I've noticed some odd managerial sackings in my saves

I had Pulis leave Stoke to go to Liverpool (never going to happen in real life) then a few years later go back to Stoke

I find the managerial merry go round quite amusing, it doesn't bother me at all

That may be more to do with that fact that I am always in the Blue Square divisons at the beginning of the game, but it's not game breaker for me. I find it quite interesting to be honest. You sit there and imagine **** manager in charge of that **** club and wonder how it would work, then think "That would be interesting to watch!"

I presume the original poster has the updated database? Perhaps this is missing a further edit to prevent managers moving back to a previous club where it ended badly?

I have tried approaching Dalglish after replacing him (with the original database) and he refused to speak to the club for a while.

Maybe FM does it like that in order to free up managerial slots for the player. If someone wants to work his way up to say, Man United, and Ferguson would just stay there until the end of time, the player wouldn't have any chance of managing that club.

However, I do agree some changes are not very likely (especially returning somewhere after being sacked within one or two seasons - Co Adriaanse took the vacant FC Twente job in a new save of mine, while he was sacked at the end of 2011), but I'd rather have more options than ultra-realism in this case.

• Administrators

Yeah in my save a manager left Portsmouth to join Southampton, then even crazier after he got them relegated he went back to Portsmouth. Oh wait...

Seriously though, we're aware of an issue with managers moving in an unrealistic manner, it's something we are looking into but it's difficult as in real life managers reputations drop and rise so quickly (AVB for example, few expected him to last only half a season, likewise who thought 18 months ago Pardew could potentially be leading a club into the Champions League?) plus a lot depends on the size of databases and how many managers are available. I think part of it is down to players not often enough becoming good managers after retiring in game. Either way, we appreciate the feedback.

Yeah in my save a manager left Portsmouth to join Southampton, then even crazier after he got them relegated he went back to Portsmouth. Oh wait...

Seriously though, we're aware of an issue with managers moving in an unrealistic manner, it's something we are looking into but it's difficult as in real life managers reputations drop and rise so quickly (AVB for example, few expected him to last only half a season, likewise who thought 18 months ago Pardew could potentially be leading a club into the Champions League?)

I suggest one way around the issue of clubs rehiring managers who have previously failed with them and sacking managers who have had many successful seasons previously would be to add a reputation modifier to the clubs data. E.g Chelsea would have a field for AVB -50, Hiddink +35 ect one for every ex manger and when the club looked at them it would apply that modifier to their reputation.

plus a lot depends on the size of databases and how many managers are available. I think part of it is down to players not often enough becoming good managers after retiring in game. Either way, we appreciate the feedback.

Create templates for non player staff the way you have for newgens if you haven't already.

Archived