Wage limited to 60% of turnover

Hello all,

I'm currently managing a team in Bulgaria, where the wages are only allowed to be 60% of turnover. I believe the same rule applies in the English League Two. Does anyone know how they calculate the 60%? Is it 60% of last season's turnover? Or 60% of projected turnover for the upcoming season?

I'm really quite confused.

I took over a team promoted into the Bulgarian second tier (lowest playable) at the end of the first season, and was allowed a wage budget of around £20,000 p/w. This would require that the club had or expected to have a turnover of around £1.8 million which is nowhere near what they would have had the previous season (in the amateur third tier) and nowhere near the turnover I reached in the second tier. In fact, it is higher than most Bulgarian top flight clubs.

Something broken here?

I'm only guessing but I would imagine it would 20% of the previous seasons turnover.

It possibly wouldn't include things like player sales, investments etc either.

You mean 60%? I think that the previous season is most likely, but it leads to problems occuring. Obviously, a team could be in the CL one season and not the next or vice versa. There are also the two things you've already mentioned. Plus, a 'previous season' rule would put promoted teams at a horrible disadvantage.

In any event, none of this explains how I had a turnover of something like £400,000 for the previous year and was allowed a wage budget of £20,000 p/w. Using the formula of 60%, I should have only been allowed £4,700 per week - less than a quarter of that!

You mean 60%? I think that the previous season is most likely, but it leads to problems occuring. Obviously, a team could be in the CL one season and not the next or vice versa. There are also the two things you've already mentioned. Plus, a 'previous season' rule would put promoted teams at a horrible disadvantage.

In any event, none of this explains how I had a turnover of something like £400,000 for the previous year and was allowed a wage budget of £20,000 p/w. Using the formula of 60%, I should have only been allowed £4,700 per week - less than a quarter of that!

Corrected %.

Not 100% how it works in real life but I have a feeling in some countries its the average turnover over a 5 year period but I can't see FM going into that much detail.

I'll also ask the daft question - Is your wage budget per week or per month? Per week I agree it doesn't make sense from the info you have provided but if you have your finances set up monthly its about right.

Corrected %.

Not 100% how it works in real life but I have a feeling in some countries its the average turnover over a 5 year period but I can't see FM going into that much detail.

I'll also ask the daft question - Is your wage budget per week or per month? Per week I agree it doesn't make sense from the info you have provided but if you have your finances set up monthly its about right.

It's definitely per week. The game is also clearly trying to implement some kind of formula as the wage budget is the same no matter what you tell the chairman you are hoping to achieve in a season. My wage budget was cut in the most recent season dramatically (down to £12,000), even though my turnover has about doubled with promotion to the top league. I don't mind as it's a good challenge, I'd just like to make sense of it all.

Archived