Don't you hate it when players can't take criticism?

In this case, its my whole team really. We have been doing very well all season, but I have lost four games in a row, which I really should be winning. So I basically told them all I am not happy and that they need to start picking things up soon, and now everyones morale is down.

I like it when they treat you for contempt for praising them. :D

Me: Just wanted to say you've been brilliant! 4 goals, 3 assists and 2 man of the matches... in one match.

Player: Your low standards disgust me. If everyone was like you, we'd still be living in caves. *spits*

Me: Attaboy!

its worse when a player won't take a compliment!

I totally agree! Just had my striker score a hatrick in a 3-1 win with a 9.4 rating and when i told him in team talks at the end of the game i was 'delighted', i got a negative reaction....he`s playing in the bleeding coca cola league division 2 , not La Liga!

I think it is too hard to judge how a player will react. Including a more in depth player report would be beneficial in this instance. Where the coach reports about the players personality, he could also leave a comment about their attitude and how they may react in certain circumstances. For instance;

"XXXXX believes XXXXX is a modern professional and therefore would appreciate constructive criticism when he is performing poorly and praise only when he is exceeding his level of performances."

"XXXXX believes XXXXX can be an emotionally unstable individual who requires constant praise when he is performing well. He would most likely react badly to criticism in any circumstance and that could filter over to other players."

"XXXXX believes XXXXX gets on with his day to day footballing career. He will rarely speak out of turn and seems extremely loyal to the club. Praise should be given when performing above his level and criticism is rarely needed as he should recognise his flaws and address them."

"XXXXX believes XXXXX is still trying to adapt to the squad so singling him out for criticism would be counter-productive."

There could be many along those lines, but they don't just say what's wrong, they give at least one helpful tip for the manager.

I think it is too hard to judge how a player will react. Including a more in depth player report would be beneficial in this instance. Where the coach reports about the players personality, he could also leave a comment about their attitude and how they may react in certain circumstances. For instance;

"XXXXX believes XXXXX is a modern professional and therefore would appreciate constructive criticism when he is performing poorly and praise only when he is exceeding his level of performances."

"XXXXX believes XXXXX can be an emotionally unstable individual who requires constant praise when he is performing well. He would most likely react badly to criticism in any circumstance and that could filter over to other players."

"XXXXX believes XXXXX gets on with his day to day footballing career. He will rarely speak out of turn and seems extremely loyal to the club. Praise should be given when performing above his level and criticism is rarely needed as he should recognise his flaws and address them."

"XXXXX believes XXXXX is still trying to adapt to the squad so singling him out for criticism would be counter-productive."

There could be many along those lines, but they don't just say what's wrong, they give at least one helpful tip for the manager.

This is a brilliant idea, but I wouldn't have these available as soon as you take over a club, it should give you time to get to know your players.

Could result in it being too easy though... do we really want a situation where as a result of infinite data at the click of a button we get everything right and never upset anyone?!

This is a brilliant idea' date=' but I wouldn't have these available as soon as you take over a club, it should give you time to get to know your players.[/quote']

Of course it should take time and possibly the introduction of a brand new Mental Coach [aka Team Shrink].

But I think such an addition would be priceless considering the huge huge role players interaction plays in FM nowadays.

Could result in it being too easy though... do we really want a situation where as a result of infinite data at the click of a button we get everything right and never upset anyone?!

Knowing SI (and the complexity of such scenarios) it'll take years before the new feature is working well and relatively bug-free, so I wouldn't worry about it making things too easy ;)

Jokes aside though, there would STILL be plenty of room for mistakes, wrong calls and hissy fits... Even the best Shrink could report a semi-wrong information about a player, and there's no guarantee even an ultraprofessional player won't take a bit of criticism the wrong way.

Anyway we do need better informations about our players' fragile psyche, as the current one-word-description is way too generic and the reactions to teamtalks and chats are too unpredictable to give a decent level of understanding

Archived