Closest finish?

I have just finished my first season (as Sandhausen) in the top league in Germany. After a mid-season blip I started to edge up the league. Forgetting that they play less games in a season, I was somewhat surprised when the league was completed. The top three teams (I was third) all finished on the same points and so were seperated by goal difference. I have seen two teams split in such a way before, but never three.

Has anyone ever seen anything closer?

Here is a recent thread on close finishes.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/252201-Title-deciders-last-day-of-the-season?p=7743453#post7743453

I just had one myself, but a promotion decider rather than a title decider. I'm managing Liverpool in the 2nd tier of my World League and there were 2 promotion places up for grabs with no playoffs. Man City walked the league, leaving one place to grab. Lyon were holding it most of the season, with myself and a few other teams just hovering below. At the end of the season my team put together a good run to go level on points with Lyon and 2 games remaining - the first was away to my rivals, whilst my final fixture was an easy home game against Al-Ittihad (KSA) while Lyon had a tricky tie away to At. Madrid.

Against Lyon, Skrtel got himself sent off after just 6 minutes and I feared the worst, but a good defensive display actually helped me dominate the game, until the 93rd minute when Lyon nicked a goal from nowhere. It was a bitter blow, but I just needed them to lose and me to win the last game, and by a couple of goals to turn around the goal difference.

Things started well against Al-Ittihad, who had already been relegated, as I raced into a 2-0 lead and was pleased to see At. Madrid took an early lead over Lyon, meaning I was going up with my goal difference better by 1. At. Madrid then stormed into a 3-0 lead over Lyon but Al-Ittihad pulled a goal back against me after 67 minutes and I was a bit nervous. I decided to keep my attacking formation, not wanting to sit back and allow them to equalise. It worked to an extent, as I got to 90 minutes and still led 2-1, although I would have liked another goal to make it safe. A quick check on the other game, Lyon were now down to 10 men but had a goal back in the 89th minute to trail 3-1. my game ended 2-1 and I pressed continue, thinking I had gone up. But on the results page I see that Lyon got a 95th minute goal to lose 3-2 but crucially this meant the goal diff was now level and they went up on goals scored.

Gutted.

And this all happened the same season as I lost the domestic league on the last day, with 10 minutes to go I was 2-1 up away to Chelsea and with Man Utd being thrashed by Arsenal and Man City being held at home by Spurs, I was leading the way. But then of all people, Torres scored an equaliser and Man City scored against Spurs and I ended up finishing 3rd behind both Manc clubs.

Good spot Kenco, will try and read through later.

As a Liverpool fan, it is warming to know we are at least challenging for a league somewhere...

Then you'll be pleased to know that in my second season I am leading the domestic league by 5 points with 2 games to go when I saved the game last night, largely thanks to my summer transfers where I offloaded the disappointing Kuyt and brought in Di Maria and Hulk, who is now top scorer. Surely I can't blow this one...

I would suggest selling Di Maria and Hulk and investing wisely in Carroll and Henderson...

Good luck to you. Being nosey - what tactic do you use?

Ha! Carroll and Hendo are still part of the squad, I have to rotate a lot.

I started off playing a 4-2-4 (with AML/R), but due to a few injuries up front I had to drop a ST and brought in a DM to change it to a 4-3-3/4-5-1. Results seem to have improved this way, so I'll have to stick with it. Rigid philosophy, usually with a control mentality, changing to counter if away to a bigger team. Hulk was signed to give me more pace on the flanks, but injuries made me play him up front and he's done brilliantly, Suarez might struggle to get his place back.

lost out on a league title on my fm10 Roma save due to head to head results (think it even was on away goals in the head to head), dispite having better goal differance and more goals scored

also recently droped a title to Real Madrid on my Athletic save, after leting in a 90th min equlizer in the final game of the season against Sporting

Archived