game says i'm not playing original version of FM.

Just got this message and i can't start the game. needless to say, i'm playing an original version.

I believe there ws a Steam update yesterday. would that affect it? i'm playing the PC version.

"Football Manager has detected that you may not be playing an original version of Football Manager 2012 and the game has therefore shut down.

If you believe you are playing an original version of the game then please contact SEGA support.

If you are playing a non-original version, you'll not be able to re-load the game. Please click here to purchase a legitimate version of the game, which will support the making of future versions and will also avoid seeing this message again."

i'm going through the Sega support at the moment but was hoping someone from here would also be able to help.

I also dont have ThreatFire, which is what the help thread on this forums says it could be.

I don't think there was a Steam update recently!

it did something! i opened Steam on Saturday and started downlaoding the DLC for Deus Ex. it ws downloading at some silly slow rate, 25kbs and i noticed it had me down as being in Singapore. So i changed it to London UK, closed down Steam and reopened it and it started going through some Steam Client Update/Download.

yeah this happened to my sons game which I brought him for Crimbo. The ex stopped me seeing him for 6 weeks until I could convince her I hadnt brought him a ripped off version for Christmas!

Messages/Accusations such as this one is unhelpful to paying customers and doesnt stop the piracy and really need removing

• 2 weeks later...

damn it! i feel like i'm being penalised now :(

half way through a pre-season match and the game closes down and tells me again that i'm not playing an original copy. on loading the game again, the whole game hangs and i have to reset the computer by pressing the computer off switch. on attempting to load the game again i find that my Save is corrupted :(

luckily i have backed up my Save. I would have thought the very fact that i have registered the game with Steam would be enough of an Anti-Piracy check, without the game randomly kicking me out of my game.

i had my computer on for a good 45 minutes before the game kicked me out so i would expect the Start-up scan to have finished. On restarting my computer, the Eset NOD 32 Smart Security V5 informed me the Virus Signature Database had been updated.

could it have been that which has confused Football Manager?

I also have ESET Smart security and it has never caused any issues with the game at all. Have you any other spyware or cleaning applications that you use or anything else running in the background while FM is on? Given that there are unlikely to be any future updates fro the game, why not try running steam in offline mode?

I also have ESET Smart security and it has never caused any issues with the game at all. Have you any other spyware or cleaning applications that you use or anything else running in the background while FM is on? Given that there are unlikely to be any future updates fro the game, why not try running steam in offline mode?

hi FrazT. i've just come back and had another read of your post. are you saying that its actually a Steam function that drops me out of the game and tells me i could be playing an illegal copy? and that if i put steam into offline mode it will never do the check and therefore never drop me out of the game again?

Archived