Make FM13 available through Apple App Store...

I do not intend this to be another Steam rant, however I think I have a point in saying Steam has caused more problems than it is worth for us Mac users. I strongly believe you could keep the Mac FMers happy by releasing FM13 through the Apple App Store, and running the verification through it. Not only this, but the App store runs automatic patches/updates on installed software, so it would have the exact same functionality as Steam, except it would work.

Steam just doesn't seem Mac friendly...

Just food for thought, I'm sure other Mac gamers will agree with me :).

I wish they didn't insist on running authentication and patches through Steam at all. IMO Steam bloats up the system and slows things down - I don't use it for anything aside from FM. I preferred it when you could just run FM on its own and download patches via bittorrent.

I preferred it when you could just run FM on its own and download patches via bittorrent.

I think those days are over, but if they at least made it available via a system that is Mac Friendly, it would be a massive improvement.

Choice is always good, though I haven't had any problem with Steam on my Mac to be honest. Heck I kinda like buying one Steam copy and being able to play it freely across my PC's and Mac. But then I also conveniently missed the recent launch issues. Realistically, Steam isn't really going anywhere as the big gaming platform though, so while I can see someone who only uses it for FM feeling differently, I'd rather it be given the time to mature or the situation for Mac gaming isn't going to get any better. Most games are not moving off Steam.

App Store distribution is probably wishful thinking — that's an entirely separate ecosystem to administrate, patch and jump through Apple-hoops for, impracticalities compared to the single PC+Mac SteamPlay setup that I'd imagine are kinda prohibitive/discouraging to SEGA (and other publishers) — but hey, one can hope. A few big titles have eventually found their way over there, after all.

Archived