Sacked- 2 days after signing new contract.

Because it wont be fixed until FM09, and I wont be bothering with that release.

The quality of this product has nosedived over the last couple of releases.

The thing that gets me is being sacked for no reason, being sacked I can take but SI not bothering to put in a reason for 3 seasons of "work" being wiped out is just not on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

I would admit that for me that is the only bug that makes the game nearly unplayable in certain circumstances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Precisely- I tend to take my time over this game, and it has taken me 7 days of play to drag to within minutes of the top Swedish Division (2 yrs ahead of schedule), taken time to nurture youth as I had no money and I get sacked for no reason whatsoever.

I dont think Ive ever felt angry with this game until now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

Was there a board takeover? That's the only thing I can think of.

If not, you really should upload it to the Bugs Forum. You might get a reaspnable answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I just lost to Boden who were clear favourites in the playoff final.

The only thing I can think it could be is that the contract wasnt extended in time to reflect the new time span I had to get them into the top division.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by homerjnick:

Why not just readd yourself in and carry on your work with your team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, never ever done things like that.

Im going out anyway with the wife and daughter, so might pursue another job once Ive calmed down.

If there's been no board take-over or anything of that nature then this is very disappointing.

The confidence definitely needs tweaking to take more things into account. It's rare that a real life manager, who's over-achieved for a few seasons, would get sacked for either no apparent reason or for not quite reaching the boards sometimes far too ambitious goals one year. Only a couple of years of under-achieving would see managers who've dragged a team from no-where to a top league be sacked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by homerjnick:

But if you uploaded it SI could fix it for FM09 then it would be a better game thus you could buyit and enjoy it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they cant fix issues like this for FM09 without my help then they are in trouble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

If there's been no board take-over or anything of that nature then this is very disappointing.

The confidence definitely needs tweaking to take more things into account. It's rare that a real life manager, who's over-achieved for a few seasons, would get sacked for either no apparent reason or for not quite reaching the boards sometimes far too ambitious goals one year. Only a couple of years of under-achieving would see managers who've dragged a team from no-where to a top league be sacked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree- I dunno, I know the chairman was ambitious as he expected me without any money to get them to Dvision 1 Elite in 2 yrs.

So effectively I failed as the contract was offered before the playoff, but not sealed until after, but I was sacked after the contract was signed.

The issue is in the timing somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

The confidence definitely needs tweaking to take more things into account. It's rare that a real life manager, who's over-achieved for a few seasons, would get sacked for either no apparent reason or for not quite reaching the boards sometimes far too ambitious goals one year. Only a couple of years of under-achieving would see managers who've dragged a team from no-where to a top league be sacked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin Jol?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

But if you uploaded it SI could fix it for FM09 then it would be a better game thus you could buyit and enjoy it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they cant fix issues like this for FM09 without my help then they are in trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wll they cannot find every bug so they rely on gamers like you to assist in uploading your game so they can fix it.

Martin Jol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jol didn't really over achieve that much. Spurs have got a decent history of being there or there abouts in the upper half of the table. I'm talking managers who've dragged their team up from league 2, stuck by them and established them in the Premier league before ending one season just outside the relegation zone. In real life that manager would very rarely be sacked and would be given at least another half season.

Or a manger who's managed to win the league with a club like Man City but has failed to win the FA cup, League cup or Champions League so gets the chop. I've heard stories of this happening to people and to be honest it's a little unrealistic. There's no doubt that the confidence fails to take into account the opposition you face in cups and that kind of thing. If you're a smaller team the board might expect you to reach the 4th round of the FA cup. However in an earlier round you find yourself away to someone like Arsenal. You take them to a replay but eventually lose, despite putting up a good fight. The board, however, are unhappy because you were knocked out earlier than they'd hoped. The opposition and performance should count for more in this situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why don't you upload your saved game to SI and report it in the bugs forum? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't SI upload the code and we'll fix the bugs?

Joking, of course. The last time I looked at VC++ I couldn't hold down any food for a week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The last time I looked at VC++ I couldn't hold down any food for a week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL.

billy davies? taking derby up through the play-offs - a massive overachievement, yet he still gets sacked for a poor start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by llama3:

billy davies? taking derby up through the play-offs - a massive overachievement, yet he still gets sacked for a poor start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but Billy Davis had an absolutely shocking start to the season. In these examples we're not talking about teams rooted to the foot of the league, FM sackings in those instances should be understood. In these examples people have been sacked for either no apparent reason, or because they've not quite met some unrealistic expectations from the board.

i know, the whole confience thing is a joke. had a wicked villa team- won the champs in my 2nd season and the league in my 4th, but in that same season i got knocked out to in the first round of the cups.got sacked for not achieving long term goals or something like that!!!sooo anoying,im pretty sure villa fans would think i was a god if i did that, so bloody unrealsitic!!!

I don't think anyone can truly deny that the board confidence is one area of the game that could do with some improvements. I'm not one of the people who was expecting it to be fixed for the patch and it's not something that's spoiling my enjoyment of the game, but anyone blindly defending it as being realistic or in no way flawed is misguided imo.

It's just something that needs working on for FM09 so that more things are taken into account.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by llama3:

billy davies? taking derby up through the play-offs - a massive overachievement, yet he still gets sacked for a poor start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Most sources claim this went beyond the pitch and into the board room. No one expected Derby to stay up and it was probably more about getting a year of experience and going back down a stronger team.

2) He didn't exactly take them up through the leagues or spend years at the club. Even if he was sacked for poor performance, that is tame compared to some of the sackings this board confidence feature throws up.

I don't think anyone can truly deny that the board confidence is one area of the game that could do with some improvements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is being kind. It is a great idea in theory, but disastrously implemented. Just abhorrent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IbrahimAliMaher:

Sheffield Wednesday sacked Paul Sturrock a month after signing a 3 year deal IRL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, we have Mr Allen to thank for that icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

Yes, but I bet they gave him a reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Club politics was the real reason, im not sure thats been coded into FM yet though icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Nope, I just lost to Boden who were clear favourites in the playoff final.

The only thing I can think it could be is that the contract wasnt extended in time to reflect the new time span I had to get them into the top division. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe your goals changed when you signed your contract. Perhaps the board wanted you promoted this season (after signing contract) and as you lost in play off final you got sacked?

Yes but Billy Davis had an absolutely shocking start to the season. In these examples we're not talking about teams rooted to the foot of the league, FM sackings in those instances should be understood. In these examples people have been sacked for either no apparent reason, or because they've not quite met some unrealistic expectations from the board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a bit off topic here but did'nt the chairman say a month before billy davies was sacked that even if they went down at the end of the season that billy would still be in charge at the start of the next one? he should have seen the axe falling towards his neck from that moment! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by msadler04:

Yes, but I bet they gave him a reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Club politics was the real reason, im not sure thats been coded into FM yet though icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, given George's plight, maybe it has.

Yeah, my condolonces, George, that's utterly ridiculous.

There really shouldn't ever be a "Sacked with no reason given". I'm sure IRL a board might say "We've decided to go in a different direction" to the media ..

.. but in terms of communication to the user, this should be one of the best-communicated things ever. It should never ever ever come as a surprise, and the user should never be left wondering "why".

Not, btw, because it isn't realistic for a board to fire a manager without reason or warning.

I don't care if that's realistic or not.

The reason that communication is necessary is because this is a game, and it needs to stay fun.

We build a ton of emotional connection to our teams; that's the point of the game, in my mind. The game needs to repay that emotional connection by not being perceived to "take it away" arbitrarily.

Given no reason either, after being well on my way to achieving my goals..

Why the hell wasnt confidence fixed for 8.02.

Thats it for me and FM- fed up with waiting for the next release to fix issues that should be fixed this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you be after 2 days???

That would break my heart.

I've yet to be sacked on '08 (simply because I resign once I know I'm on my way out - as I've always done) but if I'm sacked for no reason whatsoever I'll be devastated.

The confidence thing in '08 just DOES NOT WORK.

I'm currently managing Middlesbrough (In the championship) and the board wanted me to reach the fourth round of the League Cup.

We were drawn away at Newcastle (who are, ironically enough, flying high in the Prem) and we duly lost a tight game despite being "The better side".

Five months later we are top of the Championship, well on course for promotion, yet the board are still "Disappointed by our failure to reach their goals in the League cup.."

Stupid idiots. icon_mad.gif

THIS NEEDS FIXED!!!

Yes but Billy Davis had an absolutely shocking start to the season. In these examples we're not talking about teams rooted to the foot of the league, FM sackings in those instances should be understood. In these examples people have been sacked for either no apparent reason, or because they've not quite met some unrealistic expectations from the board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Davies was sacked because he didn't get on with our new chairman, the results were just another reason.

Because it wont be fixed until FM09 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably the most succinct answer these forums have seen.

I usually resign if I know i'm going to get sacked. I just get that feeling i'm going to get the boot, so I declare interest in other teams to **** the board off, and then resign.

I think the boards are too ambitious. Especially when it comes to bottom table teams or newly promoted teams.

Archived