Tutoring Questions

Tutoring is an aspect of FM that still doesn't seem to be covered that much in how it actually works, so I just wondered if i've missed something and you guys can help me out!

1)Difference between 2 tutoring options "tutor XXXX as I feel you can help improve his game" and "take XXXX under your wing and mentor him off the pitch"... I read somewhere that the first option is to concentrate more on the attribute side, and the second one personality improvements. Is this correct?

2) Do players still learn preferred moves from the tutor?

3) Why can I sometimes not ask players to become tutors? For example - not once throughout my first season have I been able to ask Vidic to tutor anybody, yet i've been able to get Ferdinand, Giggs, Evra etc. to do so just fine. Are there any reasons for this?

4) Players that have successfully performed tutoring I can no longer select - for example, as mentioned above, Ferdinand was fine tutoring Phil Jones, however i'd like him to tutor Chris Smalling now, yet I can't ask Ferdinand to tutor anybody. IS there a certain wait? Once a season or something like that?

Any other info or resources (not just guesses like i've seen on some google searches), would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Someone on the tactics forum recently confirmed that the difference between the two options is that the "mentoring off the pitch" doesn't pass any PPM's to the youngster, so if you are looking to improve the youngster personality without passing any PPM's you should use that option.

There's a cooldown after the tutoring finishes, i don't know how long it is exactly, a couple of weeks i think, if the tutoring fails midway it seems to takes longer for it to be available again.

About the player not being available, there's a number of reasons including squad status, age and reputation, you could cross-check this list of conditions from another thread to try to find the issue:

1. Player Reputation (Tutor must be of higher reputation than the Tutee. Without use of a scout program, the reputation description can be used as a rough gauge i.e. Worldwide > Continental)

2. Squad status (Tutor must be higher than the Tutee, and the Tutee cannnot be of higher squad status than Squad Rotation)

3. Age (Tutor must at least 24 years old, Tutee cannot be older than 21 years old (as of date of birth). I'm quite sure this applies to all positions.)

4. Position (Tutor must share an Accomplished/Natural position with Tutee)

Original post from AoV on this thread

thanks for the info. Perhaps with the Vidic scenario, he had a rejected tutoring session that I cannot remember. I may still be in the cool-down period from other tutors too and thanks for the info about the different options!

Just to clarify - are you saying that BOTH options increase hidden and mental attributes, it's just that mentoring off the pitch EXCLUDES PPMs?

Yup, that's the case nowadays, it changed for FM12:

It has definitely changed. The second option does not make the tutee learn the tutor's PPMs. I used the second option dozens of times as I am not a big fan of PPMs or the tutor always has some I don't want the tutee to learn. It has always worked for me so far.

The only thing that has been affected by the second option is determination and personality/hidden attributes.

You can hover over the tutoring option to see why he can't tutor currently. Usually its going to be either "this has been done recently" or "there is no suitable players to tutor." From the time I cancelled tutoring for a person about a week after starting it, it seems like the cool down period isn't just a couple of weeks after the tutoring session finishes, but the expected time that the tutoring is supposed to last (180 days) + a couple weeks on top of that. Might be the same for failed tutoring sessions.

For age, I don't know if somethings changed recently or not, but I have two player aged 23 tutoring people right now even though they are not captain or vice-captain. When I tried it with 22 year old's though, I got the "player is not old enough" message.

Archived