Subbing an injured player

Anybody else uncomfortable with this?

I appreciate the idea that if I spot an injury early enough I can avoid making it worse - but the way it is presented in game amounts to a quick time event. I don't know about you lot but sometimes I leave my station during matches and do something else - it's not like I've sat at my PC for 500+ hours watching stick men running about.

For me this feature goes entirely against the ethos of the game; I would prefer it if the match were paused like any other injury and I was allowed to make a decision at my leisure. If you watch matches in anything other than real time it is very difficult to catch these injuries before they get worse.

A football manager wouldn't leave the dugout/touchline to do something else

A football manager wouldn't be sitting at home and have to get up to answer the door or phone would they? :rolleyes:

As for the green injuries I go into the players profile to what type of injury it is. If it is one of the ones that isn't potentially that serious (green arm injuries are rarely bad) I leave the player on until at least the hour mark.

A football manager wouldn't be sitting at home and have to get up to answer the door or phone would they? :rolleyes:

As for the green injuries I go into the players profile to what type of injury it is. If it is one of the ones that isn't potentially that serious (green arm injuries are rarely bad) I leave the player on until at least the hour mark.

Your example isn't quite the same. If that happens, you can pause the match you're playing.

But getting up and leaving and just letting it play seems irresponsible to me. Of course, people are free to play as they choose, but I'm not sure you can have too many complaints if you abandon a match as it plays out and something like an injury crops up that needs dealing with.

I think going by the example in the OP, you could also make a case for automatically pausing the game after you score or concede so you can make appropriate tactical adjustments, or once the AI has had ten shots for the same reason etc.

In other words, if you don't watch the first half (and we all do this), then you give up the right to make any in-game tactical decisions for that period. To me subbing a player who the game has deemed fit enough to keep playing falls under this.

Your example isn't quite the same. If that happens, you can pause the match you're playing.

But getting up and leaving and just letting it play seems irresponsible to me. Of course, people are free to play as they choose, but I'm not sure you can have too many complaints if you abandon a match as it plays out and something like an injury crops up that needs dealing with.

I was trying to in a slightly humourous way that a typical Football Manager doesn't have to leave the dugout to deal with unsolicited callers do they? Most of them actually have to leave the house to go to work, and actually have real management skills. ;)

If I have leave the match during the first half of a game I won't pause. As if something goes wrong I can always analyse the game at half time and make changes for the second half.

I think providing us the option to have the game paused when a player picks up a 'green' injury is a good idea. I always sub a player when he picks up an injury to ensure the minor injury doesn't become a major one, and this essentially chains me to my laptop while the game is being played. Since I don't often change tactics during the match I would love to be able to walk away from my laptop and ensure that when I get back I don't have someone seriously injured because I wasn't starring at my laptop the entire match.

The question of whether anything was meant humorously, or whether it's realistic for a manager to leave the dugout to answer the door to cold-callers are irrelevant. At the end of the day, SI shouldn't be criticised or held responsible if something they introduce has a perceived negative effect on those who abandon their match as it plays. Regardless of whether a real manager has to answer doors mid-game, the idea that the game should accommodate those who abandon their games for no reason is silly.

That being said, if there was an option for the game to automatically pause for a green injury, I would not be against it! :D

Anybody else uncomfortable with this?

I appreciate the idea that if I spot an injury early enough I can avoid making it worse - but the way it is presented in game amounts to a quick time event. I don't know about you lot but sometimes I leave my station during matches and do something else - it's not like I've sat at my PC for 500+ hours watching stick men running about.

For me this feature goes entirely against the ethos of the game; I would prefer it if the match were paused like any other injury and I was allowed to make a decision at my leisure. If you watch matches in anything other than real time it is very difficult to catch these injuries before they get worse.

I don't understand on why you would leave though. I mean it's not as if it's "fire and forget" because things change during the course of the game so I don't see how you could adjust the tactics as the game is being played.

I don't see how the feature goes against the ethos of the game either. If a player receives only a knock (indicated by a green cross injury icon I believe) then it's basically your decision whether to bring him off or not. If it's a full blown injury then I can understand why the game is automatically paused as you don't have that choice BUT to make a sub. I've had players pick up knocks through the match, allowed them to carry on, and see after the match that the injury hasn't lasted and they are injury free.

For me it's all down to you whether you should sub him or not as it's only a knock and not a out and out injury.

Regardless of whether a real manager has to answer doors mid-game, the idea that the game should accommodate those who abandon their games for no reason is silly.

The game allows you to holiday past matches, so you don't even have to manage the team playing the matches if you really want to. :D

I should also say that for some reason the game doesn't always bring up the "do you want to sub player X" for green injuries. It happened to me twice in the last season I played.

Archived