Does zonal marking have a negative effect on your team's possession?

Well, i haven´t messed around much with those (and mostly play just standard mixed), but in reality that is exactly one of the big differences between the 2. Man marking is often used when playing more agressive defense, zonal marking often when sitting back and allowing the oposition to keep the ball but keep it where it doesn´t hurt (in midfield).

From my own experience, man marking is more effective for regaining possession quickly, used with tight marking and with high closing down. Have all your players in your team to close down exactly the same (all they should have man marking and tight marking ticked in their personal instructions - even strikers), this will ensure your team really keep their shape and close down together as a unit and dont get dragged out of position.

I'll tend to use zonal marking when my formation doesn't align against the opposition (ie my back four will only have three attacking players to mark, or the number of central midfielders on each side differs). I'll either select individual players to switch to zonal or sometimes the whole team, if I want to make sure I keep my shape.

Archived