Do you play to score first?

Having been given some simple but effective advice regarding tactics and individual player mentalities, I often wonder if others members take matters into their own hands and move away from the default TC settings, with positive results.

More specifically, we all understand the first goal is usually the most important, so does anyone set up attacking players with attacking mentalities, with the hope this will bring an early goal, then you can change things to a more default, cautious system?

I used to always play my CA system with my 3 forwards (L & R IFs/poacher) and CM (SPM) set with default attacking mentalities, and my 2 DM (1 DLPM/1 AM) and my back four with the default CA mentalities. I've just given it another go after a spell were goals have dried up, and after going 2 goals ahead, are reset all mentalities to the default CA settings and managed two further goals in a 4 nil away win.

The reason I had decided to revert to all players having the default CA mentalities from the start was because although I was creating many chances, I wasn't taking them. And the default CA settings were enabling me to score from few chances I created, and although it was pretty dull at times, it was effective.

I suppose we're all managers with our fate in our own hands, and if something did work in the past, I suppose there's no harm in trying it again. But at least now, I kinda know the risks involved in tinkering with these settings.

my tactic is designed under the philosophy of the Brendan Rodgers school of "if they don't have the ball they can't score" i have used this high possession style in lower leagues to the top leagues with great effect. Sometimes i score first sometimes i don't but i don't tend to move away from it.

Yeah, exactly. No game was ever won by scoring 0. So even if the opposition score first, my team's ambition has not changed. We needed one goal, now we need two goals. The only question is whether to take a more measured approach (control or standard mentality) more gung-ho (overload), play on the counter (if I feel the other team is now confident, and will push for a 2nd), or more of the same (attacking mentality).

If I see the other team is 'struggling under the pressure' then I will consider 5-10 minutes of overload. Any time I change mentality I first of all accept responsibility for what may take place, but second and equally important, I take CREDIT for all good that comes from it! Just played a friendly against a barely professional side, to wrap up the preseason (it was a day other clubs didn't want to play on, for whatever reason) , played my experimental formation, the M-M (2 Cf, 3 Am, 2 Dm, LB,CB,RB) and won a ridiculous 14-0 after playing them direct, and on the counter after a few goals! Not exactly a stern test of the formation, but the most goals I have ever scored in a friendly!

Yes, mostly because I have brilliant forwards.

Having said that, my team is quite determined and sometimes scoring first against me is one of the worst things the opponent can do. I don't like going down a goal or two first, though.

I always use standard form, mainly because my 2 CDs not fast enough if pushed too far up, even at control settings, I'd consistently give counter runs but that's said I also only 3 players on defensive duties, 2 CDs and a holding midfield, the rest if they're capable of supporting/making attacking plays, I push them up. First goal is always nice, but I don't necessarily look for it first, making sure my 4 backs can handle the opponent's runs first and then worry about scoring :p, change tactics to attack/counter when it's necessary otherwise stays at standard

I have a different view on it. I play to not concede first, preferably not to concede at all. If I don't concede, I don't lose (excepting penalty shootouts). I expect to score at least once a game, so winning by scorelines of 1-0 and 2-0 please me more than 3-2 or 4-2

With lower level teams, I tend to either attack or defend, depending on whether I think I can win the match. With higher level teams, I play a very technical, possession orientated game, using Counter Attack as my default strategy.

In 2 and 1/4 seasons (85 league games), I have scored 213 goals and conceded 47, so it seems to work well at both ends, although comparing those ratios across others results in the forums, my defence is obviously the strong point. My defence seems to have further matured this season (conceding 2 in 9 thus far), so I'm hoping I can repeat my FM11 feat of conceding single figure league goals in a season.

I have a different view on it. I play to not concede first, preferably not to concede at all. If I don't concede, I don't lose (excepting penalty shootouts). I expect to score at least once a game, so winning by scorelines of 1-0 and 2-0 please me more than 3-2 or 4-2

I'm like this too, my first focus is on not conceding goals.. if you can't win at least you always get a draw.

This is my philosophy. I also get fewer injuries and suspensions by not running around like headless, psychopathic chickens.

I play to win, goals are a product of that :D

Seriously tho, i set my team up to be solid first and foremost, i then build the attacking part from there, you cant lose if you dont conceed, and the longer you dont conceed the more the opposition gets frustrated or demorlaised. My team does quite well when i go a goal down as well, two goals and they seem to lose a bit of faith, 3 down and i batten the hatches for half an hour.

very much like this for me to, defensive and passing based football to grind out results

Just as an extra little point to my not concede first approach. Whilst in most situations playing defensive and keeping the ball will help you defensively, you have to be aware that if you play too defensively that you are going to invite too much pressure upon yourself.

Pretty much how I view it too. The commentary line I hate the most in FM is 'what a game!'

depends on who i am and what players i've got.

if i'm in the english football league or a league with a low reputation i'll generally play more attacking and try to outscore opponents. if i'm at a big club and trying to win major leagues and european titles i tend to focus first on getting the keeper, centre backs and defensive midfielder right.

Archived