Goalkeeper capable with both feet

I understand for a player to be capable with both feet, some of his CA must be 'used'. Does this mean that a goalkeeper capable of using both feet is somewhat of a waste, as he will never really need to use his non-preferred (basically, robbing him of attributes for no benefit)?

I must admit, I'm guilty of undervaluing two-footed players a lot of the time, because although I watch a lot of football I've never actually been involved in the sport, so my understanding isn't complete. I know things like playing a wrong-footed attacking player can be useful if you want them to cut inside - but I don't really know [/why/] this is the case :)

I have no idea of the specifics of a players attributes, but I'm certain that a player's 'footedness' uses up CA. It's the reason that one-footed regens always appear more impressive.

So, for instance, an extremely one footed player with a CA of 120 would have the majority of his CA placed into the visible attributes. However, a two-footed player may have only 80% of his CA put into his visible attributes. I agree with you on the situation you descibed above, but that is an extremely rare situation that surely doesn't make up for the necessarily lower shot stopping ability that a two-footer keeper will have.

I must admit, I'm guilty of undervaluing two-footed players a lot of the time, because although I watch a lot of football I've never actually been involved in the sport, so my understanding isn't complete. I know things like playing a wrong-footed attacking player can be useful if you want them to cut inside - but I don't really know [/why/] this is the case :)

just to improve your knowledge of football, cutting inside onto the stronger foor is useful because the player can the drive the ball at the near post or place it into the far corner. It is much easier to hit the target this way. A player cutting inside say from the left who is left footed would find it a hell of a lot more difficult to hit the far corner (the far corner is the most likely place to beat the keeper) than a right footer placing it.

A good description of this is Siggurdsons goal against Blackburn this weekend, if he had only been right footed he would have had to try to play the cross. Watch that and think about what I said, should help :)

A good description of this is Siggurdsons goal against Blackburn this weekend, if he had only been right footed he would have had to try to play the cross. Watch that and think about what I said, should help :)

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. I'll have a careful look at what the players do with which feet with Bayern and Real tonight.

The keeper'll be better on the ball and he'll have more options when under pressure with the ball at his feet.

If someone could run a test and see how much of an attribute change happens when you change a right-only keeper to Either and vice versa I'd be really interested in seeing the results.

Create four goalkeepers in the editor, give all of them 200 CA and PA, 20s in all GK attributes and all hidden attributes/determination etc. Give them all 1s in every non-GK attribute. Give two of them 20 in one foot, 1 in the other, and give the other two 20 in both feet. Put one in each of the top four teams in an active league. Start a game using that DB and holiday for 2-3 months, then compare the attributes. Make sure there's been no major injuries, manager falling outs etc.

The keeper'll be better on the ball and he'll have more options when under pressure with the ball at his feet.

If someone could run a test and see how much of an attribute change happens when you change a right-only keeper to Either and vice versa I'd be really interested in seeing the results.

Create four goalkeepers in the editor, give all of them 200 CA and PA, 20s in all GK attributes and all hidden attributes/determination etc. Give them all 1s in every non-GK attribute. Give two of them 20 in one foot, 1 in the other, and give the other two 20 in both feet. Put one in each of the top four teams in an active league. Start a game using that DB and holiday for 2-3 months, then compare the attributes. Make sure there's been no major injuries, manager falling outs etc.

From what I can remember it is similar to defensive players. I did some testing quite a while ago in FM10 and would prefer my GK to have a Reasonable weaker foot at most.

I signed a player, young decent (regen) midfielder, and thought the asking price was a bit much. 18 passing at 20 y.o. though ain't nothing to sniff at. Then when he arrived, I noticed... He is two-footed! Very two-footed! And I am a very thorough scout of players, but with this kid apparently I was impressed enough to sign him before 'checking all the boxes', so to speak! I've got another LW who is two-footed, and is a hell of an inside forward, and strangest of all, I've got a 22 y.o. pacy striker who is very two-footed, very good on both, and he 'avoids using weaker foot'! Foolish manager on his previous team to thank, for that!

Archived