Has anyone EVER had a headed goal from a striker after wingers cross from byline?

Playing with Liverpool, wanted to do 442 with out&out wingers and at least 1 big forward. Wanted my trademark to be wingers getting to the byline and putting in crosses for the strikers to head at goal.

So far I've used Andy Carroll, Leandro Damiao, Fernando Llorente and Khouma Babacar as target men, and Downing, Griezmann, Juan Manuel Vargas, Bellamy, Sterling, Henderson & even Gerrard as wingers/wide players. I've set up my tactics specifically trying to get these kinds of goals (just for the sake of it), using shouts, roles, crossing often and other things rarely, etc. etc.

After 4 seasons divided on 2 save-games I've had one goal scored this way. ONE. Add inn crosses from wingbacks/central midfielders and it's maybe 2 more. So I'm wondering, has anyone managed to get a team to play like this?

For some reason I've noticed I score more headed goals by asking my flank players to cross from mixed areas and mixed aim, and I don't select a TM. It may give them more options to cross the ball from a better position to a better placed player. And it doesn't always seem to matter how good in the air a scorer is.

My save is with LFC too, and Carol was hopeless I'm afraid, maybe because movement is hugely important to score these kinda goals. If the players assigned to cross balls have decent specific attributes, by letting them choose when and where to deliver the ball can help. However, this being said, crossing in general is pretty poor in comparison to FM11.

I score headers from crosses, but not so many from the byline. I find that the strikers have then usually had their run, stopped, and are covered behind defenders who rather easily nod these crosses away. I seem to have far more success with earlier crosses hit between GK and defence that the strikers can run "into". Get someone with good Off The Ball and Anticipation in addition to the usual aerial abilities, give them mixed forward runs (Often seems to make them run in and kill the space too early too often) and they can be rather effective in my experience. Big, slow, lumbering strikers who need to muscle out their defender 1v1 and head more or less standing still I've had little success with; defenders just seem to win these sort of challenges, and even when they don't, the resulting header is rarely good enough to find its way past the keeper. Trying to reach a "smarter" target man in space seems far more effective.

For some reason I've noticed I score more headed goals by asking my flank players to cross from mixed areas and mixed aim, and I don't select a TM. It may give them more options to cross the ball from a better position to a better placed player. And it doesn't always seem to matter how good in the air a scorer is.

My save is with LFC too, and Carol was hopeless I'm afraid, maybe because movement is hugely important to score these kinda goals. If the players assigned to cross balls have decent specific attributes, by letting them choose when and where to deliver the ball can help. However, this being said, crossing in general is pretty poor in comparison to FM11.

Will give this a try.

In my first game Carroll was hopeless for me the first season, I sold him to West Ham before the 2nd, where he started banging them in...

That's my experience too. Which makes a player like Andy Carrooll pretty much useless...

Had one or two when it's the other winger but never a striker I don't think and that's with mixed crossing and aim and usually from the left back rather than wingers crossing. My wide men get past the full back then decide to stop and play it back to the full back who rarely decides to cross it himself. Wing play is non existent in FM12. Of course it's probably my tactics!! All 5000 of them I have tried!!!

In FM10 this was the main way I scored.

In FM11 it was completely gone.

In FM12 I have seen a few of them. It is true what bullybeef said; mixed from, mixed to seems to be better and I think that makes sense, since it is then up to the player to spot opportunities. I am generally in favour of mixed/sometimes instructions over Often, and then rather give them more creative freedom.

Incidentally, because I play with smaller forwards, I use Drill Crosses. IRL, and on FM, the cross usually makes the goal; all the scorer is doing is trying to deflect the ball into the net with any part of his body. So a quicker, drilled cross could cause more problems (including own goals), but you can always try mixed crossing.

I have to admit, I used Drill Crosses because it was successful on FM11, so I'm not absolutely sure how successful floated crosses are on 12.

I got it once a while but only because of my TM is dominating... I think it'd be hard otherwise since top class defenders usually have a higher jump/ant rating than most TM, plus they almost always have more people in the box too

Yes, but there should be lots more goals like it, not almost none like it is now. A big weakness in the match engine.

I score many headers after my side defender crosses from deep and my big winger is unmarked at the far post.

Yes, I get this a lot too.. but it's not what I want, and not how it should be.

Archived