PPM - Hits freekicks with power - it useful or detrimental?

Hey Guys,

I have a player with good long shots, finishing and a high free kick rating with the PPM 'hits freekicks with power'.

(EDIT his creativity is quite good too, composure is also decent but not as high as the other stats)

Is it actually any good? Whenever I have a freekick close to the penalty box all he ever seems to do is smack it right into the wall, however when there is a freekick a fair bit out (30 yards-ish?) he manages to shoot a belter into the top corner.

I can't decide whether the occasional long range belter is worth a player CONSISTENTLY smacking the ball into the wall on closer free kicks despite having outstanding attributes for free kick taking.

In fact, the only close range free kicks he doesn't smack into the wall are ones where he goes for the short pass.

Any thoughts?

I always assumed it was a good thing, but I don't recall any of my players ever having it. Hopefully it is not like the "long bullet throw" which is completely useless--and actually detrimental. I'd say go for it, but you might want to wait for someone who has used it.:) Did your staff recommend he train for it?

I always assumed it was a good thing, but I don't recall any of my players ever having it. Hopefully it is not like the "long bullet throw" which is completely useless--and actually detrimental. I'd say go for it, but you might want to wait for someone who has used it.:) Did your staff recommend he train for it?

I already trained him in it!

He is 20 and I was looking for some good PPMs to set him up with and with his free kick taking ability I thought it would be a good one since I see some very good free kick takers in real life having success with the powerful technique....

Its an awful ppm - I had a great regen who had high skills in technique free kicks and long shots - he used to chip in with the odd goal from side footed free-kicks - I then trained him to hit free kick with power and after he learnt it, they either fly over goal or too close so that they hit the wall. I unsucsessfully tried to get him to unlearn it but failed and now have another player take free kicks.

Defitnely dont do it wud be my advice!!!

In my experience it's not very usefull. Most direct, hard free kicks will go straight into the wall, or get blasted over the goal. I have 2 free kick takers; one of them has this ppm. They have about the same amount of free kicks during a season, but the one with this ppm always scores far fewer goals then the one without. They both have very similar stats for free kicks.

I would much rather have a "places free kicks" ppm.

In my experience it's not very usefull. Most direct, hard free kicks will go straight into the wall, or get blasted over the goal. I have 2 free kick takers; one of them has this ppm. They have about the same amount of free kicks during a season, but the one with this ppm always scores far fewer goals then the one without. They both have very similar stats for free kicks.

I would much rather have a "places free kicks" ppm.

I would also like a hits LONG RANGE free kicks with power. Since the long range belters are beautiful to see!

Hey Guys,

I have a player with good long shots, finishing and a high free kick rating with the PPM 'hits freekicks with power'.

(EDIT his creativity is quite good too, composure is also decent but not as high as the other stats)

Is it actually any good? Whenever I have a freekick close to the penalty box all he ever seems to do is smack it right into the wall, however when there is a freekick a fair bit out (30 yards-ish?) he manages to shoot a belter into the top corner.

I can't decide whether the occasional long range belter is worth a player CONSISTENTLY smacking the ball into the wall on closer free kicks despite having outstanding attributes for free kick taking.

In fact, the only close range free kicks he doesn't smack into the wall are ones where he goes for the short pass.

Any thoughts?

In my current save I have 3 players with hit free kick with power PPM, all of them great free kick takers (FK 15+, Long range shot 15+, passing 15+), and I've seen ONE goal came off the free kick when the kick was taken just outside the box, the rest of them like you said goes straight into the wall. BUT! they also had a lot of goals from free kick when it's taken from 30+ yard making some really spectacular goals from there.

The thing is though, I thought the PPM SHOULD be a choice for the players, when in short range free-kick don't kick it with power just float it over, while they can blast it on the long range ones... but... whatever xD

I always found that hits freekicks with power, shoots with power and shoots from long range to be more detrimental. Shoots with power was dominate in FM07 I think, but now places shots is one of the best.

If you want a player to get alot of free kicks he needs all the necessary attributes for it along with 'Curls ball'. Bend it like Beckham freekicks.

Was thinking about Long Throws myself, BUT make sure you have some players on 'default' setting, preferably a winger or an MC (same side as throw in). They will generally take up a similar position to where they would be when the ball is in that position, this means you have better support, assuming your long throws aren't long enough.

I've scored two over the last 10 games....... not a lot, but not to be sniffed at.

Regards

LAM

....... is worth a player CONSISTENTLY smacking the ball into the wall on closer free kicks despite having outstanding attributes for free kick taking.

Any thoughts?

How many people do you have 'Disrupting the Wall'?

Bear in mind that there is a difference between free kicks and attacking free kicks. If you consistantly hit shots at the wall, then it's a safe bet to assume that you will not be wasting men by having 2+ break up the wall.

Make sure they are strong and have balance. (DM's and DC's normaly work a treat).

LAM

*edit*

What is his technique and strength like?

I read in a previous version that strength can detemine power of shots....... not sure if it's still relevant. Also, technique will have an effect on how he applies said power......

Yes in my experience 17+ Strength makes a difference to the shoots with power PPM. My 19 strength striker blasts them into the roof of the net with only 14 in Finishing and 12 in Long Shots (iirc). I have seen less powerful players with that PPM try their thing but those shots aren't nearly that hard.

The Shoots Free Kicks With Power PPM is useless now. I have a player with it (he isn't strong) and the Hits Free Kicks From Distance PPM but I have never seen him do so - all the free kicks he get are from less than 20 meters and go straight into the wall.

Edit: all the direct free kick goals I have seen have been either right-footed from the right corner of the area or left footed from the left, and chips over the wall and into the corresponding upper corner.

Strength has nothing to do with shooting. It's a fact.

I would only ever use this PPM on someone who has 18+ for FK Taking and 15+ for Technique, and Long Shots (presumably they'd have a good finishing rating as well). Also train the player in Long Range Free Kicks.

It is a PPM combination that requires an extremely good set of attributes, but if you find a player with them they can score the most outlandish goals imaginable.

I had one in the past that would smack them in semi-regularly from 35 yards or more.

It's neither good nor bad, it's just a tendency.

A rather strong tendency, I'm afraid.

Shooting free kick with power is to my experience by far the worst ppm (maybe mostly because I get so annoyed to see same jerk doing the same mistakes constantly).

My former free kick taker usually scored a goal on free kick once in every 6th game (on average). He's got 18 in free kick and long shots, technique, crossing around the same. After he learned the PPM to shoot free kick with power he almost always hammers the ball into the wall or far over goal. Sometimes, though, he do make a pass into the box and only once (in two seasons) has he scored from a free kick (from far out). He no longer takes my free kicks obviously and unfortunately it seems impossible to unlearn that dreaded PPM.

A rather strong tendency, I'm afraid.

Shooting free kick with power is to my experience by far the worst ppm (maybe mostly because I get so annoyed to see same jerk doing the same mistakes constantly).

My former free kick taker usually scored a goal on free kick once in every 6th game (on average). He's got 18 in free kick and long shots, technique, crossing around the same. After he learned the PPM to shoot free kick with power he almost always hammers the ball into the wall or far over goal. Sometimes, though, he do make a pass into the box and only once (in two seasons) has he scored from a free kick (from far out). He no longer takes my free kicks obviously and unfortunately it seems impossible to unlearn that dreaded PPM.

Yet my GK from FM11 with this PPM is the best free kick taker I have ever had in the game.

It all depends on the attributes.

Archived