Computer know it all's needed for advice on specs

Looking at getting a new laptop ordered tomorrow in time for my birthday at the end of the month. I've managed to get my selection down to two now.

The http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/HP_Pavilion_G6-1392ea_1201559.html HP Pavillion G6 is the first choice at £390.

The http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_300E5A_1153731.html Samsung 300E5A is the second choice at £540.

To me both look to have pretty much identical specs. Other than the dedicated graphics card in the Samsung, which doesn't really matter as only play on FM anyway.

My heart tells me Samsung as it's a better make, but my head says £150 is a lot for this. Are HP a good company?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Of these two, I would choose the Samsung, for one reason: It looks like it has a matte screen, which in my book is always preferrable. The dedicated graphic card don't matter much, in practicality it's not much better than the integrated graphic chip in the processor.

HP ... As for build quality - in this bugdet class all makes are pretty much the same, imo. HP's Pavilion laptops have a history of being prone to overheating, if you're not carefull, and so-so build quality - but so are the cheaper Samsung's. If you on the other hand look at HP's EliteBook range of laptops, they are very solid, well buildt and long lasting. But then we are in the expensive "professional" class. My point is: Laptops in this cheap price range - you're not getting very good build quality or quality "feel", whatever the make. But they will do, for a couple of years. You get what you pay for, pretty much. Both of these will cope with FM just fine.

Be aware that both lacks any USB 3 ports. If you're not sure if you need it, you probably don't.

Thanks for the help thomit. I think I may just plump for the Samsung then for the extra money, it at least looks a bit more advanced and different from my current Acer Aspire 5735 which I love other than a failing hard drive.

Thanks taylorsmen I will remember that, been after an i5 personally mate, any specific reason you plumped for AMD?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived