The offline mode...

Doesn't work for me. I've removed all possible reasons from the Steam settings why the online mode should be needed - all stuff just on my computer, no passwords etc on the Steam - yet the Steam app treats the offline mode as an error, refuses to launch the game and informs that it can't reach the Steam servers and that I need to go and check what they say on the official Steam pages like a good little obedient peon who always keeps connected to Steam.

Yes, I asked this on the Steam support, but they don't seem to be in the mind of answering.

I can live with being constantly connected to the utterly unneeded Steam, but it's the apparent lies of not needing Steam after activation that gets to me.

Log into Steam in online mode, with Remember my password checked. Verify game cache for FM to verify it's all up to date. Check that Don't save account credentials on this computer is NOT checked in the Preferences. Now Steam > Go Offline. Click Restart in Offline Mode. If this doesn't work I have no clue. Seems to do it for my laptop.

As above. This is the way to do it the first time you want to go offline - later it should be just a matter of clicking the "Start Steam in offline mode" button on the Steam screen splash. But do this: Start Steam in offline mode first, then fire up FM from the Steam window or from the Steam icon, and NOT directly with the FM icon, if you have that enabled.

As above. This is the way to do it the first time you want to go offline - later it should be just a matter of clicking the start Steam in offline mode button. But do this: Start Steam in offline mode first, then fire up FM from the Steam window or from the Steam icon, and NOT directly with the FM icon, if you have that enabled.

It is not a lie - it is perfectly possible to never have to go online with Steam once you have done it correctly the first time. It works fine for most of us. You then can choose to go online whenever you know there is a game update to be downloaded, and otherwise forget about Steam. Worked fine for me since the start.

Ehm ... sorry about the double post. don't know how that happened.

Archived