How often do you get on the wrong end of crucial refereeing decisions?

I've just played my first leg first knockout round in the Champions League vs Leverkusen away from home. I got a 1-1 draw which I was delighted with but about 20 minutes from time my right winger Sisi crossed the ball into the back post and Nicolas Gaitan tapped in. I jumped in delight as it would have set up an improbably victory only for it to be ruled out for offside, the commentary line said that there wasn't anything wrong with the goal and looking back on it he was comfortably onside. This has been the first decision that has had a serious impact on a result in a match of mine in this FM. We see every weekend dodgy refereeing decisions having an impact on the result of a match but less so in FM, at least in my experience.

So what has been your critical refereeing clangers?

It's only offisdes you can call really. Handballs/fouls, wrongly or rightly given, are kind of hard to see.

Yeah, penalties for example are completely random. Most come from crosses into the box where you can see absolutely nothing wrong in the match view. But according to the game those are mostly correct decisions. Impossible to tell really if the animations aren't good/detailed enough.

Had a tight clash against Luton in my BSP campaign (2nd season as Corby Town) for the first place. I won 6:2 at home at the beginning of the season and had to play them away with about ten games to go. Lost 1:0 after they scored a goal from a huge offside. In the end they won the title by 1 point, I came second and won the play-offs.

Just played the return fixture vs Leverkusen (actually quarter final match, brain isn't ticking this morning) and Adler got sent off for handling outside the area, so decisions I guess even themselves out. Game also finished 1-1 and lost on penalties.

I usually just go off the commentary line. If a goal from a corner was disallowed because of a push in the back or something and the commentary line "That seems harsh" appears then I can safely assume it wasn't really a push in the back

There is also a referee review at the end of each match. If the decision was wrong you will see it say something on the lines of 'Referee X will have some explaining to do after chalking off Club X's XXth minute goal when it should of really stood' or some criticism for other bad mistakes.

When I see these I know I can have my rant and get the FA Silent treatment.

I've been on the end of a few bad offsides calls. Nothing that has cost me a competition or anything.

If it had I would've marched over the ref's house with shotgun in hand ;)

The commentary isn't necessarily always right though, for example I had a player cross in a ball to an onside player who scored which was then ruled out, it was clearly onside but the game agreed with the linesman call.

I don't have enough controversial decisions imo, I'll get maybe 2-5 in a season, that's a complete guess but they aren't as common as I'd have thought.

• 10 months later...

Paul Davison clearly supports Halifax:

Just played my last game in my first season with Gloucester. I dropped to third instead of second because of multiple absolute howlers in that match.

One of my midfielder was annihilated from behind, no whistle, and within a couple of seconds I conceded a goal.

Fairly tackled their player just outside the penalty area and thought I was about to counter when a penalty was given against me. 2 - 0

In the Video, I think one of my players is fouled as he is about to score with yet again no whistle. Fortunately my attackers were good enough to force it in.

On the break I was flattened over and over and over (usually from behind and in the penalty area) as my best striker was about to tap in. No penalty's given.

I picked up another injury as I was attacking and again play just carried on.

Generally throughout the game my team were stopped in almost all their attacking moves as the ref kept claiming incredibly soft fouls by my players or letting harsh fouls against me carry on playing. At the other end of the pitch, I think one of my players would have needed to have been killed for the ref to pull out the whistle against Halifax.

Lost 2 - 1 in the end :( 1 knock, an injury and multiple clear penalties... the ref didn't even give out a single card in the whole game.

If the ref has made correct decisions then Halifax would have had a number of red cards and the score line would have probably looked more like my usual 3 or 4 - 0 wins.

Checked his previous matches and every Halifax senior or reserve squad match he has done, halifax have come out clear winners.

It said afterwards that the ref had a good game despite making huge mistakes, so in FM12 at least, the ref programming is very far from perfect.

Paul Davison clearly supports Halifax:

It said afterwards that the ref had an awful game making huge mistakes, so yea they obviously do make massive game changing errors, possible on purpose, and show bias.

Hold Steady!

We have been talking in another thread about how for legal reasons players can't fight or so on in-game, and I would say the game having an IRL referee with a bias is equally unwise, and therefore I 100% don't believe it happens. Even you writing it on this forums is questionable legally!

I don't doubt referees make errors in game, but I absolutely doubt the game has them doing it deliberately. 100%

The previous Halifx matches will just be coincedence. If you were to look through most referees history of matches in which they have officiated Man Utd that would show Fergie's team often winning too.

Archived