Underachieving?

I am newly promoted to the Chilean first division, and the media prediction on the club information screen is 16th (out of 18 teams). The board want me to avoid relegation this season so there's not a lot of pressure to win games.

Anyway, at the mid point of the season (the end of the opening stage) we are coming second. The board are extremely happy, as are the fans.

However the media have inexplicably been referring to us as 'underachieving' for a couple of months now. I just chose to ignore it as maybe a bug in the text until I was asked about it at a news conference. I said I was happy with how we're going and left it at that.

More recently I re-signed all the players and staff I want to keep for next season, and one of my stars (player of the year in the division below) said he wasn't interested in extending his contract. Fair enough - I will sign a replacement for next year. Also one of my centrebacks is a foreigner (Argentine) and not high enough quality to hold one of the seven foreigner slots in my roster, so I will sign a better replacement for him next year as well.

Anyway, within the space of a week, both of these players have come to me complaining that the team is underachieving. I got into arguments with both of them - after all, I am in the right when I say that the club is doing well; we are coming second for ****'s sake. Now both of them want to leave the club as soon as possible.

I have no problem with players wanting to leave for various reasons, but this 'underachieving' thing is obviously ********. Is this something I should be complaining about in the bugs forum or is this just an imitation of the real-life situation where media and players blow **** out of proportion?

Archived