The worst penalty desicion ever.

There are two bugs here. The infringement was rewarded the correct direction: the text string in the report is a mistake; it says that but actually, Thiago Neves would have obstructed Deco, therefore your team fouled.

However, the other issue here is a match engine one, and it is oh, so annoying. An obstruction by the defending team in the penalty area is not a penalty, but an indirect free kick to be taken on the line parallel to the goal line closest to where the infringement happened.

I'm sure the testers know the mistakes here, but I don't know how easy it is for them to fix the second one.

Originally posted by canvey!!:

There are two bugs here. The infringement was rewarded the correct direction: the text string in the report is a mistake; it says that but actually, Thiago Neves would have obstructed Deco, therefore your team fouled.

However, the other issue here is a match engine one, and it is oh, so annoying. An obstruction by the defending team in the penalty area is not a penalty, but an indirect free kick to be taken on the line parallel to the goal line closest to where the infringement happened.

I'm sure the testers know the mistakes here, but I don't know how easy it is for them to fix the second one.

The main problem with all of this is that the obstruction law was scrapped several years ago. The offence is now 'impeding', and if this is of a physical nature and inside the area, then a pentalty is in fact awarded.

So the decision is probably correct but the commentary is wrong on several counts.

The main problem with all of this is that the obstruction law was scrapped several years ago. The offence is now 'impeding', and if this is of a physical nature and inside the area, then a pentalty is in fact awarded.

My attention has not been drawn to this in reading any updated laws of the game icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The main problem with all of this is that the obstruction law was scrapped several years ago. The offence is now 'impeding', and if this is of a physical nature and inside the area, then a pentalty is in fact awarded.

My attention has not been drawn to this in reading any updated laws of the game icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may have got the wording slightly wrong (I believe it leaves referees slightly more latitude than I implied), but I think it is section 12.

No, taking a look, I see that impeding, or obstruction, is still penalised with an indirect free kick, regardless of location, just as I thought. I understand that a referee could deem it as charging, but that would be in a RL sense. In Football Manager, the foul that is being portrayed has been penalised as an obstruction, not charging, therefore an indirect free kick should have been awarded. In real life, I think a lower quality referee (apologies to referees who would be more likely to penalise a charge than an obstruction - but that is how I genuinely feel), may award a penalty, for a charge - but in this example, the offence is acknowledged as an obstruction - indirect free kick.

No, taking a look, I see that impeding, or obstruction, is still penalised with an indirect free kick, regardless of location, just as I thought. I understand that a referee could deem it as charging, but that would be in a RL sense. In Football Manager, the foul that is being portrayed has been penalised as an obstruction, not charging, therefore an indirect free kick should have been awarded. In real life, I think a lower quality referee (apologies to referees who would be more likely to penalise a charge than an obstruction - but that is how I genuinely feel), may award a penalty, for a charge - but in this example, the offence is acknowledged as an obstruction - indirect free kick.

In a RL sense, a penalty is almost universally awarded these days, I think. I reckon the word 'obstruction' should be removed from the game in any case.

Archived