Trequartistas in the English League 2

i have a player in my AFC Wimbledon side who my coach claims 'plays best as a trequartista'. now i always thought that a Treq was the sort of player you would use in the higher leagues, not in the lower leagues where your more likely to be playing a Direct style.

i am playing him as a Treq and he's doing well, but would you? and is it advisable in the long term? also, are any players really going to be classed as Treqs in the lower leagues in real life?

There is no magic with a trequartista. He is simply an attacking midfielder with lots of creative freedom and little defensive responsibility. The coach opinion is based on the players scores for the attributes recommended for each role, so there's no magic involved there either.

Remember that a trequartista in League 2 is up against Leage 2 quality defenders. What ultimately matters is how he does in relation to the opposition, not how well he compares to the best of the best.

thanks. i guess i thought that teams are going to be more 'rigid' and 'direct' with their play, in the lower leagues and so there would be no place for such a player with all that Creative Freedom.

i mean, how many players can truly be classed as playing the Treq role in League 2 in real life?

I go to watch every Crewe home game and although he might be described more as a deep lying forward. Nick Powell plays for us just behind and along side the main striker and does what ever he wants to do, in FM terms he would be close to a Treq.

Archived