What's the best thing to do with 17 year olds?

Hey guys,

I'm sure there is a sticky somewhere going into great detail on this so please advise me if you know of one and sorry for the question.

What do I do with my 17 year-old starlets if I can't loan them out? In the U18 on a youth schedule ticked for reserve games? Or in the first team on a proper training schedule ticked for reserve games? I have a squad with such depth that I barely have space to squeeze them in even for games against poorer opposition.

I'm not sure what is best for their development! I would appreciate any advice..

Thanks!

depends how good they are, try and give them a few games on the bench if they're good enough and if not just put them in the reserves.

So being in the reserves and only getting 1-2 games per month is better than being in the U18 and reserves but on a youth schedule?

So being in the reserves and only getting 1-2 games per month is better than being in the U18 and reserves but on a youth schedule?

If you can help it, don't put anyone in the reserves. Your youth players will play their under 18 games, as well as reserve games and you can select any first team players to play in reserve games too.

Generally speaking - swap around. Try and plan ahead, If you are fairly confident you won't be able to slot in the player anytime soon, stick them in the u18 squad. Try to bring them out when you can, like if there's an easy cup game, and make sure you bring them out in advance of that game, so they have time to rest and aren't playing a game in the U18 or reserves too soon before it - making them knackered.

When you feel comfortable you could make them fully 1st team, on subs bench, giving them the last 20 minutes when you're winning or the likes.

The most important thing is that they stay match fit really - but you can get a lot of progress from u18's if you have fantastic facilities and 4.5 star coaches. If you don't - well it depends a lot upon their personality - good tutoring if they're low on determination, professionalism and ambition is necessary.

There is a point where u18 and reserve games seem to suffer diminishing returns and not offer much - but generally that happens later than 17, but it depends upon the player - some just start excelling super-early.

Generally speaking - swap around. Try and plan ahead, If you are fairly confident you won't be able to slot in the player anytime soon, stick them in the u18 squad. Try to bring them out when you can, like if there's an easy cup game, and make sure you bring them out in advance of that game, so they have time to rest and aren't playing a game in the U18 or reserves too soon before it - making them knackered.

When you feel comfortable you could make them fully 1st team, on subs bench, giving them the last 20 minutes when you're winning or the likes.

The most important thing is that they stay match fit really - but you can get a lot of progress from u18's if you have fantastic facilities and 4.5 star coaches. If you don't - well it depends a lot upon their personality - good tutoring if they're low on determination, professionalism and ambition is necessary.

There is a point where u18 and reserve games seem to suffer diminishing returns and not offer much - but generally that happens later than 17, but it depends upon the player - some just start excelling super-early.

My biggest concern is that they'll be on a youth schedule in the U18s rather than the regular full time schedule.

Does this have a large effect or not? (I'm referring to 17 year olds that are almost ready for the senior team but not quite there yet)

This is the reason I always keep my squads as small as I dare. My third choice for every position will be a youngster and this will usually guarentee them between 5 and 10 starting appearances and a few subs based on a 60+ game season. I leave them in the under 18's until they are naturally promoted unless they have exceptional quality. Then I just use the filters to select them for action if I need them.

Something I have done for a while now is choose a nearby country that I haven't chosen as a playable league (in FM11 it was somewhere like Austria), and create friendly tours in between reserve games in a bid to improve my youngsters. Be warned though, in FM12 you now can't arrange friendlies that are too far away, so being a team from England, I just arrange games against Welsh or Scottish teams. Not top quality, but at least my reserves are getting more games.

Whilst I'm on the subject, why have friendly games become more restricted?

I'd give them some game time - something I'd usually do if I feel I have established a big enough lead over my opponent. I'd also give them a run in the League Cup especially against lower ranked opposition.

That was my plan this season until my league cup run opened up against premier league heavyweights!

I don't have much to contribute on top of what has already been said (a dozen games a season, play him against smaller opposition etc). What I do like to do though, even if it has no effect on the game mechanics, is ensure that if a youngster does get a game, he is paired up with a decently-experienced partner (ie two centrebacks, central midfielders, strikers). Even better, if my youngster is being tutored, I also try to ensure that their tutor is alongside them.

I also just wanted to contribute to a thread whose title was so brilliantly up for misinterpretation....

I don't have much to contribute on top of what has already been said (a dozen games a season, play him against smaller opposition etc). What I do like to do though, even if it has no effect on the game mechanics, is ensure that if a youngster does get a game, he is paired up with a decently-experienced partner (ie two centrebacks, central midfielders, strikers). Even better, if my youngster is being tutored, I also try to ensure that their tutor is alongside them.

I also just wanted to contribute to a thread whose title was so brilliantly up for misinterpretation....

You read my mind. I was going to say wait a year before you try anything.

Archived