Shortest Time at a club Everton or Newcastle

After been with Plymouth for 5 seasons in a career/journeyman game and have taken them to Premiership from League 2. I left in March 2017 after making sure they survived the first season in the Premiership with 10 games to go as my contract was about to expire and I wanted to go to a bigger club. I applied for the Newcastle job but did not get it as they wanted to keep the manager in house by appointing the assistant manager. Then Everton came in for me after been taken over by a consortium so I took the job.

It is now November 2017, after a slow stat in the league with Everton and my job hanging by a thread in the first month, I have now got them upto 7th, which matches my board expectations so my job is at the moment no longer in jepordy. However Newcastle are 19th and have just sacked there manager. Even though I am not a Everton or Newcastle fan, I seem to want to manage Newcastle more for some reasosn unbeknown to myself, and my heart doent seem to be in the Everton job. Should I annoy the board and fans and apply for the Newcastle job after only 8month in charge at Everton.

Also what experiences have you had from similar situtations, what is the shortest time you had at a club and why did you leave.

37 days :cool: at some Belarussian side in my current journeyman save. I left as my heart wasn't in it and they were bottom and I didn't think I could save them or want a relegation smear on my record so soon. I got offered the Boston United job at the end of September in my first season after applying for it and they were 15th when I took over. We're now 6th and just outside the play-offs.

7 days. In a career thread i went from Castilla in Spain back to England and took on roles at MK Dons, Crewe and a couple of others. A job offer came in from Racing in Spain which i took. Despite winning both i just enjoy it there. Upped and left and ended up back in England a few days later at Bolton.

So looking at the responses it doesnt appear to be too bad to leave a club after 8months in charge. I normally like to have something to show at each club I manage, and leaving Everton will be the only time I havent achieved anything but as I said earlier I prefer Newcastle to Everton. The facilities are better and have got a larger capacity stadium for me to progress. Only got to save them from relegation now.

Create a back up of the save before you leave Everton so that if you ever feel like you should have stayed you can use that one. If I was unsure on something like that it what I would do. I did that when left Hearts for Toronto FC after my third season. I was unsure how it would go since I had invested a fair bit of time into that team and I really wanted to make it into the group stages of the europa league.

Archived