Has Fm12 broken two of my computers?!

Long time fm player since cm days in 1994. Have been playing fm12 on my dual core pc which suddenly started switching itself off in the middle of a game - as if it was overheating. Oh well I thought, it's about time I bought a new pc so have been toying with the idea of a laptop. However, while looking my dad lent me his dual core pc to continue the save and the same thing has happened again. Now both pc's refuse to function properly and crash constantly during fm12, with the loan pc refusing to boot at all. Googling this it seems a few (minority) have also had this issue. I know fm12 is processor intensive but I only play with English leagues and small db. I do NOT want to spend money on laptop only to have it fried. Can fm have broken my pc's or is it a horrible coincidence? Please help. BTWi am not a new poster, previous posts under dion/'s jock strap.

looking forward to your views.......

Highly improbable that a single nation, small db has fried two cpu's.

My hunch is that you have a power supply issue & could have fried both psu's by plugging them into the same faulty power socket/extension cord.

You've just confessed to having an alias. You might get banned for that unless you have a good reason or have arranged it with SI or whatever. Just so you know.

Previous account I cant access from home. If I get banned that will just top my day. Lol

Highly improbable that a single nation, small db has fried two cpu's.

My hunch is that you have a power supply issue & could have fried both psu's by plugging them into the same faulty power socket/extension cord.

I thought that and tested power cable and tried different sockets. Neither was problem. Really hope it's just a nasty coincidence but I admit to not being very technical...

Well, if the laptop has a problem (e.g. broken/clogged up fan) running FM may provoke it to the point of overheating in a way casual web browsing or whatever won't. They should shut down gracefully and come back on once cooled-down though. If you can't even boot anymore then I would guess that it's more of an electrical (power supply) problem. Using the correct power adapters? From a good wall socket?

Thanks for helpful questions scab. Both failures are desktops but considering laptop replacement. Have tried wall sockets t. Just for avoidance of doubt I am not fm bashing here, I just want some advice before splaying 400 quid on a laptop!

Ok,

Games do not break computers/laptops.

That is the short answer.

The longer answer is..

It could be many things,it could be your PSU(power supply)has just gave in or is in the process of giving in.

It could be also your GPU(graphic card)is over heating so it switches your PC/Laptop off to save it from frying.

It could also be something as simple as you have your fans full with dust so the card/PC is not getting the cooling it needs.

I would suggest first checking your system for dust and clean it out,I would also suggest you turn up your GPU fan using a program like Rivatuner and see if that helps.

If these things do not work then both your systems were on there way out and has nothing to do with the game,time to get yourself a new system.

I would try what I mentioned above as it could be something very simple to sort.

And can't remember password as always logged in at work

Well you can't have two accounts here so I'd suggest you decide which you want to retain and let me know by PM, then I'll get the two accounts merged so nothing is lost.

Sensibly do it Tuesday if possible:thup:

Edit: I think you can safely rule out FM12 as the cause of your problems, there'd be a few thousand complaints at least if it had that effect;) some very sensible suggestions here though.

Heat is definitely top of my list, Civ5 and FM12 caused my desktop heat issues with the GPU, had to add water cooling in the end:(

Well you can't have two accounts here so I'd suggest you decide which you want to retain and let me know by PM, then I'll get the two accounts merged so nothing is lost.

Sensibly do it Tuesday if possible:thup:

Edit: I think you can safely rule out FM12 as the cause of your problems, there'd be a few thousand complaints at least if it had that effect;) some very sensible suggestions here though.

Heat is definitely top of my list, Civ5 and FM12 caused my desktop heat issues with the GPU, had to add water cooling in the end:(

Thanks kriss. Will p, you on tuesday. If heat is the primary reason, which makes sense, does that realistically rule out using a laptop to play it :-(

a 2nd fan in the desktop computer would do wonders and you can always click on REMEMBER ME so you don't have to remember login passwords. So no excuse.

No room for second fan. Why the sharp comment? With respect, it isn' t necessary. Kriss has already explained about the rules thanks.

Worth buying a can of compressed air?

Thanks kriss. Will p, you on tuesday. If heat is the primary reason, which makes sense, does that realistically rule out using a laptop to play it :-(

Not at all, the right laptop will do just fine, you can use a stand and even special laptop cooling fans as well to make doubly sure (they're only a few quid)

There's a thread somewhere here about that very subject:)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/293509-The-Ultimate-quot-What-Laptop-specs-do-I-need-Can-I-run-FM12-on-this-quot-Thread?highlight=laptop

I had a similar problem with my PC, only it was minecraft/openttd killing it...

Check out the power supply and how much power the CPU/GPU/Motherboard need. If it's only just enough consider upgrading the power supply. Also, as previously mentioned, installing another fan should help (the AMD stock fans are absolutely awful, if that's your CPU).

Archived